PDA

View Full Version : Re: Alaska Cruises - Royal Caribbean vs Holland America

Bicepeak
November 29th, 2004, 11:25 AM

>Hello
>
>First I would like to thank everyone for the information I received in my
>
>We have narrowed it down to two cruise lines - Royal Caribbean - Hubbard
>Glacier & Holland America - Glacier Bay and Tracey Arm.
>
>Both are 7 day cruises from Vancouver to Vancouver.
>
>I would be interested in hearing from people who have taken either cruise.
>
>The Royal Caribbean is roughly $400.00 CAD per person cheaper than Holland
>America comparing the same categories.
>
>Although it is priced higher, we are leaning toward the Holland America
>cruise as it appears to visit more scenic areas.
>
>Thanks again in advance.

I agree with HAL......for the very reasons you stated. Also the HAL ships on
this itinerary sre generaly smaller so you get closer to everything. They also
have a great wrap-around promenade deck from which to enjoy the scenery .
Sean

Bicepeak
November 29th, 2004, 11:25 AM

>Hello
>
>First I would like to thank everyone for the information I received in my
>
>We have narrowed it down to two cruise lines - Royal Caribbean - Hubbard
>Glacier & Holland America - Glacier Bay and Tracey Arm.
>
>Both are 7 day cruises from Vancouver to Vancouver.
>
>I would be interested in hearing from people who have taken either cruise.
>
>The Royal Caribbean is roughly $400.00 CAD per person cheaper than Holland
>America comparing the same categories.
>
>Although it is priced higher, we are leaning toward the Holland America
>cruise as it appears to visit more scenic areas.
>
>Thanks again in advance.

I agree with HAL......for the very reasons you stated. Also the HAL ships on
this itinerary sre generaly smaller so you get closer to everything. They also
have a great wrap-around promenade deck from which to enjoy the scenery .
Sean

JLeary256
November 29th, 2004, 04:42 PM
I too give a BIG edge to HAL having sailed both lines to Alaska. HAL also has
a full time on board naturalist and superior deck viewing space. Keep track of
pricing trends YOURSELF. In the past HAL has had discounts, keep a close
watch especially a few weeks before final payment. It pays to be flexable, but
if you are set on a particular cabin etc, then the last minute discounts may
not be for you? You still need to budget fully for costly excursions- necessary
in Alaska, my opinion only. The excellent tour options just give far more to
Alaska travel. You get little just strolling about the towns.

[...]

Cruisebyweb
November 29th, 2004, 10:29 PM
HAL. Nothing wrong with Hubbard, but with the HAL sailing you are getting 2
glacier areas instead of one.

I don't have the cruise route in front of me, but if I recall, the only
drawback was that in one direction, the HAL sailing the "2 glacier areas" route
sails outside of Vancouver Island, rather than both ways through the Canadian
Inside Passage.

Regards, Keith