TravelBanter

-   Asia (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Money around Asia (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=4341)

Miguel Cruz September 10th, 2003 04:43 PM

Money around Asia

Raffi Balmanoukian a wrote:
wrote:
Bring a couple hundred in your country's cash or traveler's checks just
to be safe if you're disposed to worry.

I wouldn't say "your country's cash." Local or USD. Secondary currencies
(meaning: anything except the USD or Euro) has such an exchange spread
that it's preposterous, if it's accepted at all. It's cheaper for me, for
example, to change CAD into USD in Canada, and then USD to local
currencies wherever I'm going, than to change CAD to local currency.

The reason I suggested that is that it's more of an insurance
policy/psychological protection than anything else, since with a
properly-functioning ATM card you'll never need it. That way you save on
having done any exchange at all.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world:
http://travel.u.nu