TravelBanter

-   Africa (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Street Crime in Mombasa (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=47368)

Peter Gower October 30th, 2004 12:22 AM

Street Crime in Mombasa

I lived in Mombasa 1996-1999 (see www3.sympatico.ca/pandjgower)
and I would suggest that you need to be very very careful. Wear no
jewellery. Carry as little money as you can in an inside pocket. Wear a
backpack on your front (and even then it may be slashed and anything taken.
Police are not in sight so do not expect help. Walk the streets as little as
possible - use taxis, but always pre-arrange the fare.
Good luck
Ask if you need more advice
Peter