TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Public showers in Heathrow T1 and T3 -- experiences? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=1238)

David Ing October 9th, 2003 04:17 PM

Public showers in Heathrow T1 and T3 -- experiences?

I've been reading in various other postings that there are public
showers available at Heathrow Airport. (The most recent one appears
to be in alt.travel.uk.air in March 2002). It seems that showers are
free, but I can get a towel at the Information Centre for a pound or
two.

Could someone with recent experiences please refresh us. (There was
some discussion about construction going on).

(1) Are public showers still available in T1 and T3?

(2) Are the facilities better in T3 than T1? (I assume that I'll have
to clear immigration first, and then enter the T3 airside mall).

(3) Is there a way to store or hang hand luggage so it doesn't get wet
while I take the shower (and don't have to worry about things getting
stolen?)

I'm going to flying from Canada arriving in Heathrow Terminal 3, and
transferring over to Heathrow Terminal 1, with a four hour connection.
I'm pretty sure that I have enough time to get a shower, if I don't
make mistakes along the way.

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. October 9th, 2003 11:34 PM

(David Ing) wrote:

I'm going to flying from Canada arriving in Heathrow Terminal 3, and
transferring over to Heathrow Terminal 1, with a four hour connection.
I'm pretty sure that I have enough time to get a shower, if I don't
make mistakes along the way.

Can't speak to Heathrow, but if it's anything like Gatwick, there's a phone near
the showers and an internal extension number posted to call. An attendant brings
a towel, bar of soap and a key to unlock the door in exchange for a Pound.

The shower is actually in a small room with a sink. There is just enough room to
open any suitcases for a change of clothes.

David Ing October 10th, 2003 12:07 PM

Public showers in Heathrow T1 and T3 -- experiences?

I received a confirmation (from a party who I assume likes to remain
anonymous) that the T3 showers still existed, when he used them in
September 2003. He described them as adequate.

He also said:

There's plenty of room to keep your dry things dry. You enter a

slightly
enlarged public toilet and lock the door behind you.

The only real problem I faced using the facility was the total and

utter
lack of anyone to rent me a towel (the advertised rate was 1.5
pounds), and
the total and utter lack of anyone else in the airport to care about
such.
I ended up purchasing a small bar towel for 5 pounds at one of the
souvenier shops which proved to be just barely adequate. Now, I do
not
travel without it! Be sure to bring some flip-flops to wear in the
shower.

I guess that I'll be packing my own towel! I'll take an old one, so I
don't have to carry a wet one around.

Does anyone have any information on the showers in T1? [I'm now less
than 12 hours from leaving for the airport!]