TravelBanter

-   Africa (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Horseback riding safari in Tanzania (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=102750)

Dimitrie December 25th, 2006 10:39 PM

Horseback riding safari in Tanzania

Hi Everybody

We are going to Tanzania in the summer of 2007 and were thinking about
also doing a riding safari. Can this be recommended for beginners with
little experience? Does anybody have any experiences with tour
organizers? Are there any budget tours available saving money be means
of accomodation? Is it best to book a tour in advance from home or when
arriving in Daare Es Salam or at any national park?

We'd be very thankfull for any information
Sincerely

Chris + Ulli

Dave Patterson December 25th, 2006 11:47 PM

Horseback riding safari in Tanzania

Never heard of one.
Remember that any safari worth taking would include
areas with major predators. Your horse might look
like lunch to them.

Liz Leyden December 26th, 2006 01:31 AM

Horseback riding safari in Tanzania

In message . com
"Dimitrie" wrote:

Hi Everybody

We are going to Tanzania in the summer of 2007 and were thinking about
also doing a riding safari. Can this be recommended for beginners with
little experience? Does anybody have any experiences with tour
organizers? Are there any budget tours available saving money be means
of accomodation? Is it best to book a tour in advance from home or when
arriving in Daare Es Salam or at any national park?

Don't know about Tz. I know you can do it in Kenya, but if the price
was budget, I'd be concerned about the care of the horses: some places
I saw clearly didn't make that a priority. I couldn't recommend any
I've seen (just a few) but I know there are more expensive ones I
haven't seen - looking at a brochure I have to hand, I see one in
Kenya 'from Loita Hills to Masai Mara', one along the Limpopo River
(Tuli Block) in South Africa, and one in Maun/Okovango in Botswana.
This is an (upper)-middle price company. Don't see one for Tz, though.

Slainte

Liz

--
http://www.v-liz.com - Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos
Photo Gallery:

[email protected] December 26th, 2006 08:51 AM

Horseback riding safari in Tanzania

I don't have direct experience with any in Tanzania, but a quick Google
search of "horse tanzania safari" turned up what looks like rich
pickings. Be sure you follow Liz's advice animal welfare...and
Dave's about being lion food. That said, it seems like there are
numerous opportunities to see Tanzania's people, animals and
environments from horseback.

Let us know what you decide -- and post your photos when you get back!

Kurt

Corné December 26th, 2006 05:05 PM

Horseback riding safari in Tanzania

"Dave Patterson" schreef in bericht
Never heard of one.
Remember that any safari worth taking would include
areas with major predators. Your horse might look
like lunch to them.

Not always Dave, here in SA there's also a company run by Germans, and they
do big-5 horseback safaris.

As far as I know the last 3 years no horses were eaten by lions...

Corné

Dave Patterson December 26th, 2006 09:54 PM

"Corné" wrote:

here in SA there's also a company run by Germans, and they
do big-5 horseback safaris.

As far as I know the last 3 years no horses were eaten by lions...

It does sound like something that would be fun.
Up until that very last moment.. Hahaha

Marc Lurie[_1_] December 29th, 2006 08:15 AM

Horseback riding safari in Tanzania

Dave, of course you don't have to outrun the lion. You only have to
outrun your travelling companions. :-)

Marc

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 14:54:51 -0700, Dave Patterson
wrote:

"Corné" wrote:

here in SA there's also a company run by Germans, and they
do big-5 horseback safaris.

As far as I know the last 3 years no horses were eaten by lions...

It does sound like something that would be fun.
Up until that very last moment.. Hahaha

Magoo January 29th, 2007 10:41 PM

Dave Patterson wrote:
Never heard of one.
Remember that any safari worth taking would include
areas with major predators. Your horse might look
like lunch to them.

THAT WAS GOOD DAVE!!!