TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Need Info on Italy Rail Reservation Fees. (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=166575)

Bruce K. May 31st, 2010 10:16 PM

Need Info on Italy Rail Reservation Fees.

I'm thinking of buying an Italy Rail Pass and am trying to see if it
is a good value.

I am able to get fares through the Italy Rail web site, but the site
doesn't show the additional "Reservation Charge" for the following
trains:

IC

IC Plus

TAV (ES)

I am assuming that this Reservation Charge applies to the train and
not the distance traveled.

Thank you for your help.

Bruce

Hatunen May 31st, 2010 11:52 PM

Need Info on Italy Rail Reservation Fees.

On Mon, 31 May 2010 17:16:31 -0400, Bruce K.
wrote:

I'm thinking of buying an Italy Rail Pass and am trying to see if it
is a good value.

I am able to get fares through the Italy Rail web site, but the site
doesn't show the additional "Reservation Charge" for the following
trains:

IC

IC Plus

TAV (ES)

I am assuming that this Reservation Charge applies to the train and
not the distance traveled.

I hope you understand that a reservation saves you a seat; it is
not a ticket to ride. Certain premium trains like high speed
trains will include the reservation in the price of the ticket,
but otherwise they are not necessary unless you have a need to
assure a seat for yourself or for you and the people you are
travelling with. Reservation prices are not dependent on distance
travelled.

By the way, rail passes rarely save money over the cost of buying
tickets on the ground. Whether the convenience of a pass is worth
the extra money is a different question.