TravelBanter

-   Asia (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Driver's license in Thailand? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=4347)

Markku Grönroos September 10th, 2003 06:44 PM

Driver's license in Thailand?

wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:17:52 +0200, "Anette"

That may be what the Thai Embassy say but in 10 years of (holiday)
driving in Thailand I have not once been asked for a licence of any
kind. I have been asked for my passport which they used to keep until
the car was returned unscathed. They now accept a swiped credit card
and a photocopy of your passport. As always in Thailand, YMMV.

I guess it has not been a topic by what terms one can hire a car in
Thailand.

Chris Blunt September 10th, 2003 10:04 PM

Driver's license in Thailand?

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 20:44:02 +0300, "Markku Grönroos"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 15:17:52 +0200, "Anette"

That may be what the Thai Embassy say but in 10 years of (holiday)
driving in Thailand I have not once been asked for a licence of any
kind. I have been asked for my passport which they used to keep until
the car was returned unscathed. They now accept a swiped credit card
and a photocopy of your passport. As always in Thailand, YMMV.

I guess it has not been a topic by what terms one can hire a car in
Thailand.

You can hire a car in Thailand without an international driving
permit. What you can't do is legally drive it on a public road.