TravelBanter

-   Cruises (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Mariner of The Seas vs. Ocean Liners of The Past (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=54612)

Von Fourche January 2nd, 2005 02:33 AM

Mariner of The Seas vs. Ocean Liners of The Past

I took a cruise on the Mariner of The Seas in September. It was
absolutely wonderful. The ship was awesome. How does this ship compare to
the ocean liners of the past? Like size, quality, service, entertainment,
fun, luxury, etc...? Did the ocean liners of the past during their golden
age surpass these modern cruise hips? How do they compare?

Thanks!

*bicker* January 2nd, 2005 02:13 PM

One of the things to keep in mind, when considering the
answers to your question, is that many cruise lines aren't
interested in providing an experience reminiscent of the
past. For example, there were no rock walls, rollerblade
tracks, or ice rinks on cruise ships of the past. The
result of this dichotomy is that objective, qualitative
comparisons (i.e., whether something "surpasses" something
else) are impossible, since such judgements depend on
whether the reviewer is beholden to the past, hold antipathy
towards the past, or is indifferent... and none of the three
perspectives are actually "wrong" -- they're just different.

So consider responses from that standpoint. Objective
information is clear. Mariner of the Seas is the second
largest cruise ship ever built, to date, and a couple of old
ocean liners of the past could fit inside it. None of the
ocean liners of the past had 12 storey atriums. By the same
token, Mariner of the Seas doesn't really have different
classes of accommodation -- at least not to the extent that
was the case in the past. Different sized cabins, yes, but
everyone gets the same food, the same entertainment, etc.

Both subjects, ocean liners of the past and modern cruising,
are interesting topics. Comparing the two is significantly
less interesting.

--
bicker®

Surfer E2468 January 2nd, 2005 05:54 PM

Cruise ships of the past win hands down,they were fabulous

Surfer E2468 January 2nd, 2005 05:54 PM

Cruise ships of the past win hands down,they were fabulous

Surfer E2468 January 2nd, 2005 05:56 PM

Would rather have the old way of cruising,do not need,or want rock
climbing,ice skating etc,if i wanted to rock climb i would go to a
mountain,and we get enough ice skating right here in the northeast in
the winter.

Surfer E2468 January 2nd, 2005 05:56 PM

Would rather have the old way of cruising,do not need,or want rock
climbing,ice skating etc,if i wanted to rock climb i would go to a
mountain,and we get enough ice skating right here in the northeast in
the winter.

Charles January 2nd, 2005 06:29 PM

In article , Surfer
E2468 wrote:

Would rather have the old way of cruising,do not need,or want rock
climbing,ice skating etc,if i wanted to rock climb i would go to a
mountain,and we get enough ice skating right here in the northeast in
the winter.

I guess you think it is all about you. The ice show is actually a great
innovation. And I observed that the rock climbing is very popular, even
if you don't climb, watching is fun.

--
Charles

E2468 wrote:

Would rather have the old way of cruising,do not need,or want rock
climbing,ice skating etc,if i wanted to rock climb i would go to a
mountain,and we get enough ice skating right here in the northeast in
the winter.

I guess you think it is all about you. The ice show is actually a great
innovation. And I observed that the rock climbing is very popular, even
if you don't climb, watching is fun.

--
Charles

Lee La January 2nd, 2005 06:52 PM

Would rather have the old way of cruising,do not need,or want rock
climbing,ice skating etc,if i wanted to rock climb i would go to a
mountain,and we get enough ice skating right here in the northeast in
the winter.

Oh come on now, the new way of crusing with all the extra charges for
this and that is awesome. I love being on vacation and having to keep
my wallet open. Gives you that warm feeling inside of being screwed
all the time.

*bicker* January 2nd, 2005 07:30 PM

A Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:29:57 -0500, Charles
escribió:
In article , Surfer
E2468 wrote:
Would rather have the old way of cruising,do not need,or want rock
climbing,ice skating etc,if i wanted to rock climb i would go to a
mountain,and we get enough ice skating right here in the northeast in
the winter.

I guess you think it is all about you. The ice show is actually a great
innovation. And I observed that the rock climbing is very popular, even
if you don't climb, watching is fun.

To be fair, I didn't read Surfer's message the way you did.
Surfer said, "Would rather" and "i wanted" and "we get
enough" whereas someone who felt it was "all about [them]"
would be prescriptive, say that the cruise lines shouldn't
be going in that direction, etc. The reality is that some
people do like traditional cruising and some people like
modern cruising (and there are even people who like both
and/or a hybrid). What "should be" is whatever's best for
the folks willing to provide the capital to build and
operate cruise lines.

--
bicker®