TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Help! (Newbie) Flying Family to Austria in Summer w/o Going Broke? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=3283)

Ulf Kutzner March 17th, 2004 01:48 PM

Help! (Newbie) Flying Family to Austria in Summer w/o Going Broke?

erilar schrieb:

My wife and I are moving from California to her hometown near
Innsbruck, Austria, for a year with our kids, ages 4 & 6.

What concerns me is the summer-rate airfares! Google, Travelocity,
etc. are showing July and August 2004 departures at $2,000+/person!
OUCH!!!

Does anyone have any strategies or recommendations for snagging lower
airfares from CA to Europe in Summer? Our ultimate destination is
Innsbruck, but I don't especially care how we get there (within
reason)-- as long as it doesn't cost us $8k-$10k...

Once you have to get on a train, it doesn't really make much difference
if
you're on it for 1 hour or 4 hours. So airports further away become
options.
Consider flying to Munich, Salzburg or Vienna as well. Even Zürich if
you
can get a good deal.
Alternatively a transatlantic to Frankfurt/Main could be an option as
someone else mentioned, or fly to the UK (often good value) and fly on
from
London.

To get from some parts of Austria to Innsbruck, you change planes in
Munich anyway, I discovered last year when I was thinking of adding it
to my Austrian trip.

I guess these "planes" are buses.

Munich - Innsbruck is a scenic train trip via Kufstein or Mittenwald.
Flying into MUC might be an option.

Regards & X-post, ULF

Tim Challenger March 18th, 2004 02:20 PM

Help! (Newbie) Flying Family to Austria in Summer w/o Going Broke?

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:24:18 GMT, Ken wrote:

Try Skyauction.com I saw rates about 750 roundtrip to Australia from Ca.

But he wants to go the other Australia: the one without kangaroos, and with
mountains. ;-)
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

Ken March 18th, 2004 02:24 PM

"Ulf Kutzner" wrote in message
erilar schrieb:

[...]

mtravelkay March 18th, 2004 09:34 PM

Tim Challenger wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:24:18 GMT, Ken wrote:

Try Skyauction.com I saw rates about 750 roundtrip to Australia from Ca.

But he wants to go the other Australia: the one without kangaroos, and with
mountains. ;-)

Yeah, the one that Adolph thought was part of Germany.

Not the Karl Orff March 18th, 2004 10:00 PM

Help! (Newbie) Flying Family to Austria in Summer w/o Going Broke?

In article ,
mtravelkay wrote:

Tim Challenger wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:24:18 GMT, Ken wrote:

Try Skyauction.com I saw rates about 750 roundtrip to Australia from Ca.

But he wants to go the other Australia: the one without kangaroos, and with
mountains. ;-)

Yeah, the one that Adolph thought was part of Germany.

It arguably could be.

Ken March 19th, 2004 02:33 AM

Help! (Newbie) Flying Family to Austria in Summer w/o Going Broke?

Funny,

Well, I was only a continent or two away. Hopefully that will be the worst
mistake I make this week.

"Tim Challenger" "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote in message
s.com...
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:24:18 GMT, Ken wrote:

Try Skyauction.com I saw rates about 750 roundtrip to Australia from

Ca.

But he wants to go the other Australia: the one without kangaroos, and

with
mountains. ;-)
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we

would
be so simple that we couldn't.

Tim Challenger March 19th, 2004 08:34 AM

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 02:33:07 GMT, Ken wrote:

Funny,

Well, I was only a continent or two away. Hopefully that will be the worst
mistake I make this week.

"Tim Challenger" "timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote in message
s.com...
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:24:18 GMT, Ken wrote:

Try Skyauction.com I saw rates about 750 roundtrip to Australia from

Ca.

But he wants to go the other Australia: the one without kangaroos, and

with
mountains. ;-)
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we

would
be so simple that we couldn't.

I frequently get post sent to Australia from the UK. It normally ends up in
Brisbane (4020 post code ?). It's not just you.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

Tim Challenger March 19th, 2004 08:36 AM

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 21:34:53 GMT, mtravelkay wrote:

Tim Challenger wrote:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:24:18 GMT, Ken wrote:

Try Skyauction.com I saw rates about 750 roundtrip to Australia from Ca.

But he wants to go the other Australia: the one without kangaroos, and with
mountains. ;-)

Yeah, the one that Adolph thought was part of Germany.

It was for a while. Some wish it still were.

And apart from the colour of the road-signs, I dare to find a significant
difference.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

Ulf Kutzner March 23rd, 2004 10:29 AM

mtravelkay schrieb:

But he wants to go the other Australia: the one without kangaroos, and with
mountains. ;-)

Yeah, the one that Adolph thought was part of Germany.

His name was different. He was a citizen of that country and later
naturalized in Germany.

Regards, ULF

mtravelkay March 23rd, 2004 04:41 PM

Ulf Kutzner wrote:

mtravelkay schrieb:

But he wants to go the other Australia: the one without kangaroos, and with
mountains. ;-)

Yeah, the one that Adolph thought was part of Germany.

His name was different. He was a citizen of that country and later
naturalized in Germany.

Regards, ULF

And later controlled both.