TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Iceland, Anyone ? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=180805)

Travel_Poster December 3rd, 2013 07:09 PM

Iceland, Anyone ?

Does anyone have any ideas for hotels in Reykjavik, and then elsewhere on
the island? I'm planning to fly into the capital and then do a week-long
tour, clockwise.

Around US$80 per night, or so?

Thanks.

--
Travel Poster

Erilar December 4th, 2013 02:27 AM

Iceland, Anyone ?

Travel_Poster wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas for hotels in Reykjavik, and then elsewhere on
the island? I'm planning to fly into the capital and then do a week-long
tour, clockwise.

Around US$80 per night, or so?

Thanks.

When I visited Iceland, I was with a group, and it was several years ago,
so I have no answers for you, butit's a great country8-). Rather expensive
, though.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad

JohnT[_9_] December 4th, 2013 12:35 PM

Iceland, Anyone ?

"Erilar" wrote in message
Travel_Poster wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas for hotels in Reykjavik, and then elsewhere on
the island? I'm planning to fly into the capital and then do a week-long
tour, clockwise.

Around US$80 per night, or so?

Thanks.

When I visited Iceland, I was with a group, and it was several years ago,
so I have no answers for you, butit's a great country8-). Rather
expensive
, though.

I think that you may get breakfast for $80. But a room for the night,
typically, would cost considerably more.

--
JohnT

Tom P[_6_] December 4th, 2013 02:40 PM

Iceland, Anyone ?

On 04.12.2013 13:35, JohnT wrote:

"Erilar" wrote in message
Travel_Poster wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas for hotels in Reykjavik, and then
elsewhere on
the island? I'm planning to fly into the capital and then do a
week-long
tour, clockwise.

Around US$80 per night, or so?

Thanks.

When I visited Iceland, I was with a group, and it was several years ago,
so I have no answers for you, butit's a great country8-). Rather
expensive
, though.

I think that you may get breakfast for $80. But a room for the night,
typically, would cost considerably more.

Didn't it get cheaper after the banks collapsed?

tim...... December 4th, 2013 07:51 PM

Iceland, Anyone ?

"Travel_Poster" wrote in message
Does anyone have any ideas for hotels in Reykjavik, and then elsewhere on
the island? I'm planning to fly into the capital and then do a week-long
tour, clockwise.

Odd that, seems everyone goes that way

By car I presume

Around US$80 per night, or so?

Hum,

I think these are the people I used:

http://www.icelandholidays.com/ (I don't have my credit card statements to
hand to check), but there is an exhaustive list of hotels available for you
to check

But even the most basic of hotels are expensive

In particular I remember staying he
http://www.icelandholidays.com/accom...uesthouse.html

clean and tidy, but nothing else to merit a mention

I paid around 1500 pounds for the week, about 100 pounds a night for hotels,
500 pounds for the car and 300 pounds for the flights

tim

Travel_Poster December 5th, 2013 06:55 AM

Iceland, Anyone ?

tim...... wrote:

[...]

Flights are booked. Return from Heathrow and a week's car hi US$ 1,290.

--
Travel Poster

James Silverton[_3_] December 5th, 2013 04:02 PM

Iceland, Anyone ?

On 12/4/2013 2:51 PM, tim...... wrote:

[...]

Why not use the accepted three-letter abbreviation: GBP if you can't get
£ on your keyboard? In any case, GBP would better specify the currency;
"pound" might mean the Egyptian pound (EGP; 11.2 for one GBP).

One place you can get a listing of the abbreviations is:
http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

tim...... December 5th, 2013 05:08 PM

Iceland, Anyone ?

"James Silverton" wrote in message
On 12/4/2013 2:51 PM, tim...... wrote:

[...]

OMG have you got nothing better to do

tinm

James Silverton[_3_] December 5th, 2013 07:07 PM

Iceland, Anyone ?

On 12/5/2013 11:46 AM, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 05 Dec 2013 11:02:29 -0500, James Silverton
wrote:

On 12/4/2013 2:51 PM, tim...... wrote:

[...]

In Iceland? Why would anybody think that?
It's about as likely as him wanting to visit a supermarket chain in UK called
Iceland or to think that it was pounds of sausages.

How do I know he's not Egyptian? :-)

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

James Silverton[_3_] December 5th, 2013 07:09 PM

Iceland, Anyone ?

On 12/4/2013 2:51 PM, tim...... wrote:

[...]

You can't have all that much to do yourself if you respond to a
reasonable suggestion like that.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.