TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   two weeks in the U.S. (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=171882)

Király[_1_] March 12th, 2011 09:46 AM

two weeks in the U.S.

VOLTS wrote:

hello, i'm steve from the philippines. me and my wife are planning to
visit the US this coming december hopefully if visa approve. will $7,000
USD fit for 16 days? our plan will start in los angeles for 4 day stay
then to new york for another 4, washington dc for 4 and back to new york
before returning to los angeles. our last leg will be los angeles before
returning to the philippines.

I'd look into an open jaw ticket if I were you; fly into LA, domestic
flight to NY, train to DC, and then fly back home directly from DC
without having to backtrack. It will save time and money.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

Gerrit March 12th, 2011 11:36 AM

two weeks in the U.S.

""Király"" wrote in message
VOLTS wrote:

hello, i'm steve from the philippines. me and my wife are planning to
visit the US this coming december hopefully if visa approve. will $7,000
USD fit for 16 days? our plan will start in los angeles for 4 day stay
then to new york for another 4, washington dc for 4 and back to new york
before returning to los angeles. our last leg will be los angeles before
returning to the philippines.

I'd look into an open jaw ticket if I were you; fly into LA, domestic
flight to NY, train to DC, and then fly back home directly from DC
without having to backtrack. It will save time and money.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

Might it be cheaper to do a Home - NY - Home with a stopover in LA on the
way over?

Steve Cain March 12th, 2011 01:45 PM

two weeks in the U.S.

Might it be cheaper to do a Home - NY - Home with a stopover in LA on the

way over?

Now we're talkin! Substitute SFO for LAX and it works. LA jetlagged? LA?

VOLTS[_2_] March 13th, 2011 04:57 AM

two weeks in the U.S.

ok sir. our entire stay in the US will not be in budget hotels or cheap
inns. we have some friends who offered a few day stay with them in new
york and los angeles. to some up for 2 weeks our stay in a budget hotel
will be only 8 to 9 days.

in los angeles, new york and washington sir. what budget hotels outside
the city proper can you suggest? $100 a day for 2 will be ok.

--
VOLTS
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Steve Cain March 13th, 2011 08:27 PM

two weeks in the U.S.

in los angeles, new york and washington sir. what budget hotels outside
the city proper can you suggest? $100 a day for 2 will be ok.

--
In LA (if you have to go to LA) from LAX take the 232 bus south to Aviation
and find the Quality Inn Hermosa Beach. From this position you can walk the

If you've used Priceline or Hotwire before try betterbidding.com or
biddingfortravel.com to get up to speed on offerings in these areas.
It's likely you don't really have the time to get up to speed on the areas
your going to and the bidding caveats to make this happen. Might be a
resource for the trip following this one.

Good luck, s

Doug McDonald[_4_] March 14th, 2011 08:48 PM

two weeks in the U.S.

On 3/12/2011 8:51 PM, Brian wrote:

There are very few places to stay anywhere that begin to be decent for
$45/night.

I do see some places advertised on billboards off interstates in North
and South Carolina that approach it but that is all I can think of.

That's not true in the heartland ... $45 will get you in a perfectly nice
clean, nicely situated, motel or chain hotel. Even in some western
tourist spots near national parks you can get that routinely if you look.
Where $45 is impossible even in a dump is major cities.

But these original posters seem to be city people, not national park types
(though why you would visit the USA and not visit even the Grand Canyon
if you arrive in LAX or Yosemite if you arrive in SFO is beyond me!)

Doug McDonald

Brian[_1_] March 15th, 2011 02:00 AM

two weeks in the U.S.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:48:32 -0500, Doug McDonald
wrote:

On 3/12/2011 8:51 PM, Brian wrote:

There are very few places to stay anywhere that begin to be decent for
$45/night.

I do see some places advertised on billboards off interstates in North
and South Carolina that approach it but that is all I can think of.

That's not true in the heartland ... $45 will get you in a perfectly nice
clean, nicely situated, motel or chain hotel. Even in some western
tourist spots near national parks you can get that routinely if you look.
Where $45 is impossible even in a dump is major cities.

But these original posters seem to be city people, not national park types
(though why you would visit the USA and not visit even the Grand Canyon
if you arrive in LAX or Yosemite if you arrive in SFO is beyond me!)

Doug McDonald

I don't remember seeing anything that cheap near national parks but we
could have missed them.

Everyone has different interests although I do agree that the parks
are a very important part of what the U.S. is.

David Hatunen March 17th, 2011 03:46 AM

two weeks in the U.S.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:48:32 -0500, Doug McDonald wrote:

That's not true in the heartland ... $45 will get you in a perfectly
nice clean, nicely situated, motel or chain hotel. Even in some western
tourist spots near national parks you can get that routinely if you
look. Where $45 is impossible even in a dump is major cities.

I-10 in downtown Tucson is lined with motel/hotels advertising $29 single
rooms, and these rates hold most of the year.

--
Dave Hatunen, Tucson, Arizona, out where the cacti grow

Doug McDonald[_4_] March 17th, 2011 03:13 PM

two weeks in the U.S.

On 3/16/2011 9:46 PM, David Hatunen wrote:
On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 14:48:32 -0500, Doug McDonald wrote:

That's not true in the heartland ... $45 will get you in a perfectly
nice clean, nicely situated, motel or chain hotel. Even in some western
tourist spots near national parks you can get that routinely if you
look. Where $45 is impossible even in a dump is major cities.

I-10 in downtown Tucson is lined with motel/hotels advertising $29 single
rooms, and these rates hold most of the year.

Except when it matters, in late January-February!

Doug McDonald

David Hatunen March 17th, 2011 05:36 PM

two weeks in the U.S.

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 09:13:44 -0500, Doug McDonald wrote:

On 3/16/2011 9:46 PM, David Hatunen wrote:

I-10 in downtown Tucson is lined with motel/hotels advertising $29
single rooms, and these rates hold most of the year.

Except when it matters, in late January-February!

I live west of I-10 and have to pass through the heart of that area all
the time on 22d Street and along the frontage roads. I am simply
flabbergasted by the heights the room rates reach at the time of the gem
and mineral show and you should reserve at least six months in advance I
expect.

The traffic can be a bitch, too. That's what we get for having the
world's biggest gem, mineral and fossil show every winter.

--
Dave Hatunen, Tucson, Arizona, out where the cacti grow