TravelBanter

-   Asia (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   India (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=177940)

abc August 17th, 2012 01:31 PM

India

Is it required to book train tickets in advance (talking about long
journey - Delhi-Jodhpur and Delhi-Gorakhpur)? If so, any advice (agency...)

Travel takes place in January 2013.

thx

Martin Bienwald[_2_] August 17th, 2012 01:51 PM

India

abc wrote:

Is it required to book train tickets in advance (talking about long
journey - Delhi-Jodhpur and Delhi-Gorakhpur)? If so, any advice (agency...)

Travel takes place in January 2013.

Playing around a bit with www.erail.in, it looks like Delhi-Jodhpur is
currently more or less booked out for the next three or four days,
Delhi-Gorakhpur for the next 10-15 days. So yes, it is probably a good
idea to book a few weeks in advance.

It used to be possible to book via internet (www.irctc.co.in), but this
site now expects an Indian mobile phone number for registration. :-(

I can't recommend any agency, since I booked my tickets directly at this
site before the mobile phone requirement was introduced.

.... Martin

bill August 17th, 2012 02:15 PM

India

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 14:31:59 +0200, "abc" wrote:

Is it required to book train tickets in advance (talking about long
journey - Delhi-Jodhpur and Delhi-Gorakhpur)? If so, any advice (agency...)

It is always necessary to book tickets for any long distance journey
on the railway in India.

Tickets can be booked on-line.