TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Live in Europe? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=32785)

jm July 19th, 2004 08:59 PM

Live in Europe?

If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

I appreciate your input! :)

john

tim July 19th, 2004 09:17 PM

Live in Europe?

"jm" wrote in message
If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

I appreciate your input! :)

What foreign languages do you speak?

It's a PITA living in a country where you can't speak the
lingo, have difficulty learning it and where there isn't sufficient
foreigners for using English to be acceptable for transacting
normal day to day things, let alone with the jobworths in the
"foreign persons registration office".

tim

tim July 19th, 2004 09:17 PM

Live in Europe?

"jm" wrote in message
If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

I appreciate your input! :)

What foreign languages do you speak?

It's a PITA living in a country where you can't speak the
lingo, have difficulty learning it and where there isn't sufficient
foreigners for using English to be acceptable for transacting
normal day to day things, let alone with the jobworths in the
"foreign persons registration office".

tim

JohnT July 19th, 2004 09:33 PM

Live in Europe?

"jm" wrote in message
If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

I appreciate your input! :)

john

Can we assume that you know that you will need a Visa and that you can at least
get by in the language of your chosen Country?

Given the above, the choice is, of course, subjective but you could consider -

Spain
France
Croatia

JohnT

JohnT July 19th, 2004 09:33 PM

Live in Europe?

"jm" wrote in message
If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

I appreciate your input! :)

john

Can we assume that you know that you will need a Visa and that you can at least
get by in the language of your chosen Country?

Given the above, the choice is, of course, subjective but you could consider -

Spain
France
Croatia

JohnT

Bili July 19th, 2004 09:36 PM

Live in Europe?

It's nice to hear that you recommend Croatia!

"JohnT" wrote in message

"jm" wrote in message
If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

I appreciate your input! :)

john

Can we assume that you know that you will need a Visa and that you can at

least
get by in the language of your chosen Country?

Given the above, the choice is, of course, subjective but you could

consider -

Spain
France
Croatia

JohnT

Dominique Foucart July 19th, 2004 10:32 PM

Live in Europe?

Le 19/07/2004, jm a supposé :
If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

I appreciate your input! :)

john

I would probably recommend Belgium:
- central to all places in Europe
- administratively at the core of the EU and NATO, which means that a
lot of people here are speaking english as their first, second or third
language
- compared to Paris (1.5 hours by train) or London (2h20m by train) the
cost of life is way cheaper
- you get all the cultural, social and entertainment opportunities in
the major cities (Brussels, Antwerpen, Liège)
- it is host of one of the largest immigration community in europe.

The bias to this description: I live there since 47 years...

Welcome home,

Dominique

--
Dominique Foucart
Brussels, Capital City of European Community