TravelBanter

-   Australia & New Zealand (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   GPS in Australia. (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=7243)

Papertargets September 22nd, 2003 04:21 AM

GPS in Australia.

How effective are Garmen and Magellen GPS units in Australia? Is it worth
taking a handheld GPS while driving a few hours away from Sydney?

Peter Webb September 22nd, 2003 04:32 AM

GPS in Australia.

GPS units work the same here in terms of giving you lat and long; whether
they can give you meaningful data (27 kms south west of Wagga Wagga) is a
function of the software and maps in the units.

"Papertargets" wrote in message
How effective are Garmen and Magellen GPS units in Australia? Is it worth
taking a handheld GPS while driving a few hours away from Sydney?

Raffi Balmanoukian September 22nd, 2003 11:10 PM

GPS in Australia.

in article , Peter Webb at
wrote on 9/22/03 12:32 AM:

GPS units work the same here in terms of giving you lat and long; whether
they can give you meaningful data (27 kms south west of Wagga Wagga) is a
function of the software and maps in the units.

"Papertargets" wrote in message
How effective are Garmen and Magellen GPS units in Australia? Is it worth
taking a handheld GPS while driving a few hours away from Sydney?

Be aware that most GPSes have multiple mapping datum systems available.
WGS84 is the usual default - some Australian maps have the Australian system
on it, which can be very slightly different.

Dennis G. Rears September 23rd, 2003 02:42 PM

GPS in Australia.

"Papertargets" wrote in message
How effective are Garmen and Magellen GPS units in Australia? Is it worth
taking a handheld GPS while driving a few hours away from Sydney?

I brought my Garmin Vista with me last Novemeber and used it in Sydney,
Canberra, Perth, Melbourne, and Cairns. I used it with no problem. The map
data I had was from the World CD. It was somewhat lacking.

dennis

AlmostBob September 23rd, 2003 04:51 PM

GPS in Australia.

GPS is very useful, the downloadable maps are absolute crap compared to the
level of the base map stored in the unit for the region it was sold in, if you
can get the HARDWARE oceana map then you will have town data etc, else you
need at least 32MB of ram to download the map into, or only use your gps to
give you grid reference to a paper map