TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Points of interest between Bristol and Stansted (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=179810)

Jesper Lauridsen[_1_] April 8th, 2013 09:53 PM

Points of interest between Bristol and Stansted

I'll be driving from Bristol to Stansted airport on a Sunday and have
around 7 hours at my disposal, so I'm looking for somewhere interesting
to make stop on the way.

Interests would be great nature, grand architecture or maybe some old town.

Graham Harrison[_3_] April 8th, 2013 10:03 PM

"Jesper Lauridsen" wrote in message
I'll be driving from Bristol to Stansted airport on a Sunday and have
around 7 hours at my disposal, so I'm looking for somewhere interesting
to make stop on the way.

Interests would be great nature, grand architecture or maybe some old
town.

Don't stop until you get there. Why? Well, your major issue is going to
be getting round London. Sunday it might be but the traffic can be a real
problem.

I think I'd head a little beyond the airport up the M11 to Saffron Walden,
have lunch and stroll.

bill April 8th, 2013 10:08 PM

Points of interest between Bristol and Stansted

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 22:03:21 +0100, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

"Jesper Lauridsen" wrote in message
I'll be driving from Bristol to Stansted airport on a Sunday and have
around 7 hours at my disposal, so I'm looking for somewhere interesting
to make stop on the way.

Interests would be great nature, grand architecture or maybe some old
town.

Don't stop until you get there. Why? Well, your major issue is going to
be getting round London. Sunday it might be but the traffic can be a real
problem.

I think I'd head a little beyond the airport up the M11 to Saffron Walden,
have lunch and stroll.

Agreed, get off the M25 heading north and then find somewhere that
looks interesting.

Gerrit April 9th, 2013 05:54 AM

Points of interest between Bristol and Stansted

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Apr 2013 20:53:13 +0000 (UTC), Jesper Lauridsen
wrote:

I'll be driving from Bristol to Stansted airport on a Sunday and have
around 7 hours at my disposal, so I'm looking for somewhere interesting
to make stop on the way.

M25? :-)

Interests would be great nature, grand architecture or maybe some old
town.

Avebury, Windsor, London
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Oxford, Bicester, Aylesbury maybe?

Gerrit - Oz

Giovanni Drogo April 9th, 2013 12:57 PM

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013, Jesper Lauridsen wrote:

I'll be driving from Bristol to Stansted airport ...
to make stop on the way.

Are Bath or Wells too far off the way ?

I did (by train) quick visits to Bristol, Gloucester and Worcester on a
Sunday, after a Saturday in Bath.

Tom P[_6_] April 9th, 2013 01:28 PM

wrote:

"Jesper Lauridsen" wrote in message
I'll be driving from Bristol to Stansted airport on a Sunday and have
around 7 hours at my disposal, so I'm looking for somewhere interesting
to make stop on the way.

Interests would be great nature, grand architecture or maybe some old
town.

Don't stop until you get there. Why? Well, your major issue is going to
be getting round London. Sunday it might be but the traffic can be a real
problem.

I think I'd head a little beyond the airport up the M11 to Saffron Walden,
have lunch and stroll.

Agreed, get off the M25 heading north and then find somewhere that
looks interesting.

He could drive past the airport up the M11 and visit Cambridge. The view
of the medieval college buildings from across the river Cam is stunning.

Gerrit April 9th, 2013 03:40 PM

Points of interest between Bristol and Stansted

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 12:54:46 +0800, "Gerrit" wrote:

. ..
wrote:

I'll be driving from Bristol to Stansted airport on a Sunday and have
around 7 hours at my disposal, so I'm looking for somewhere interesting
to make stop on the way.

M25? :-)

Interests would be great nature, grand architecture or maybe some old
town.

Avebury, Windsor, London

Oxford, Bicester, Aylesbury maybe?

Imperial War Museum in Duxford.
--

Bourton-on-the-Water, the two Slaughters, Blenheim Palace

Gerrit - Oz

Surreyman[_3_] April 10th, 2013 10:13 AM

Points of interest between Bristol and Stansted

and a million other places, almost anywhere except Pernis :-)

--

Martin in Zuid Holland

And Slough.

Gerrit April 10th, 2013 11:59 AM

Points of interest between Bristol and Stansted

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 22:40:18 +0800, "Gerrit" wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 12:54:46 +0800, "Gerrit" wrote:

m...
wrote:

I'll be driving from Bristol to Stansted airport on a Sunday and have
around 7 hours at my disposal, so I'm looking for somewhere
interesting
to make stop on the way.

M25? :-)

Interests would be great nature, grand architecture or maybe some old
town.

Avebury, Windsor, London

Oxford, Bicester, Aylesbury maybe?

Imperial War Museum in Duxford.

Bourton-on-the-Water, the two Slaughters, Blenheim Palace

Midsomer towns and villages
http://www.absolutetouring.co.uk/tours/

and this in particular
http://www.absolutetouring.co.uk/pla...urders-country

and the MM website
http://midsomermurders.org/midsomer.htm

and a million other places, almost anywhere except Pernis :-)
--

We are agreed on Pernis. :-)

Gerrit - Oz (born in Pernis)

Gerrit April 11th, 2013 05:33 AM

Points of interest between Bristol and Stansted

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Apr 2013 18:59:48 +0800, "Gerrit" wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 22:40:18 +0800, "Gerrit" wrote:

m...

news:h1d6m8t6lh9ir97s95d4e1kopfq7iij3h5@4ax. com...
wrote:

[...]

I think of you every time we pass Pernis on the way to catch the ferry
:-)
--

Didn't think I was that memorable :-)

Gerrit - Oz