TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Frugal Hawaii vacation? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=19038)

[email protected] April 5th, 2004 04:57 PM

Frugal Hawaii vacation?

My 19 yr old nephew graduates from high school this spring. He is then
off to college next fall

Me and him are very close. Im 46 and kind of like a father to him.

I want to take him to Oahu and possibly spend a day on one of the
other islands as well.

Naturally money is an issue and want to do this as cost effective as
possible. We would leave from St Louis..... or maybe even Chicago
which is 4 hrs away but we do have amtrak access to Chicago.

Soooo..... any advice, opinions, thoughts on how to get to Hawaii
frugally?

We'd like to go the second week of June.... right after he gets out of
high school at end of May.

Peter L April 5th, 2004 05:05 PM

Frugal Hawaii vacation?

Well, if you have a set time and are not flexible, you'd have limited access
to cheap airfare. So not much choice aside from the usual web searches.

wrote in message
My 19 yr old nephew graduates from high school this spring. He is then
off to college next fall

Me and him are very close. Im 46 and kind of like a father to him.

I want to take him to Oahu and possibly spend a day on one of the
other islands as well.

Naturally money is an issue and want to do this as cost effective as
possible. We would leave from St Louis..... or maybe even Chicago
which is 4 hrs away but we do have amtrak access to Chicago.

Soooo..... any advice, opinions, thoughts on how to get to Hawaii
frugally?

We'd like to go the second week of June.... right after he gets out of
high school at end of May.

[email protected] April 5th, 2004 05:21 PM

Frugal Hawaii vacation?

Well, if you have a set time and are not flexible, you'd have limited access
to cheap airfare. So not much choice aside from the usual web searches.

OK....point taken

So what if we were flexible on our time?

Or..... how best to get a deal?

Peter L April 5th, 2004 06:12 PM

Frugal Hawaii vacation?

wrote in message
Well, if you have a set time and are not flexible, you'd have limited

access
to cheap airfare. So not much choice aside from the usual web searches.

OK....point taken

So what if we were flexible on our time?

Or..... how best to get a deal?

Don't go during high tourist season.

[email protected] April 5th, 2004 06:41 PM

Frugal Hawaii vacation?

Don't go during high tourist season.

When is that? What time frame?

Peter L April 5th, 2004 06:47 PM

Frugal Hawaii vacation?

wrote in message
Don't go during high tourist season.

When is that? What time frame?

Before Memorial Day and after Labor Day, except during Christmas.

Ken April 5th, 2004 08:05 PM

Frugal Hawaii vacation?

"Peter L" wrote in news:c4s63u$2lka59$1@ID-
226616.news.uni-berlin.de:
wrote in message
Don't go during high tourist season.

When is that? What time frame?

Before Memorial Day and after Labor Day, except during Christmas.

Christmas is the busiest time, by far. June is also pretty busy with lots of
graduating students visiting. Look for charter packages (air/hotel/car).
They can often be cheaper than booking separately, but there are lots of
restrictions and schedules can be inconvenient. Oahu is the most expensive
island. You can find more moderately priced motels on the other islands.
There are many moderately priced family-style restauarants all over.

Brian K April 5th, 2004 09:41 PM

Frugal Hawaii vacation?

On 04/05/2004 3:05 PM Ken wrote:

"Peter L" wrote in news:c4s63u$2lka59$1@ID-
226616.news.uni-berlin.de:

wrote in message
. ..

Don't go during high tourist season.

When is that? What time frame?

Before Memorial Day and after Labor Day, except during Christmas.

Christmas is the busiest time, by far. June is also pretty busy with lots of
graduating students visiting. Look for charter packages (air/hotel/car).
They can often be cheaper than booking separately, but there are lots of
restrictions and schedules can be inconvenient. Oahu is the most expensive
island. You can find more moderately priced motels on the other islands.
There are many moderately priced family-style restauarants all over.

I wouldn't limit myself the the Hawaiian islands. Chicago is a mini-hub
for NorthWest. Check their website http://www.nwa.com every Wednesdays
for "Cyber Savers".

I don't know if you have Liberty Travel where you live. They are the
prime budget travel agency in my area. They are always posting deals in
the back of the Travel section of my Sunday newspaper. Perhaps there's
a similar travel agency near you. Do you have Marshall - Fields?
Whenever I travel to Minnesota I use Marshall - Fields Travel. They've
always been courteous and given me the best deal possible.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

David S. April 5th, 2004 10:00 PM

Frugal Hawaii vacation?

wrote in message
Don't go during high tourist season.

When is that? What time frame?

The period between when your nephew graduates from high school and starts
college will put you in the 'tourist season', sooo, what to do to minimize
expenses?

Consider flying overnight to/from HI (i.e. take a 'red eye' flight). They
tend to be less crowded than the daytime flights and tend to have the lower
fares. Also, you may find a cheaper ticket if you can fly mid-week (T-Th)
rather than on/near a weekend.

Lodging at Waikiki is somewhat cheaper if you don't mind walking a bit to
the beach. Consider one of the hotels on Kuhio or between Ft. DeRussy and
Ala Moana (I like the Doubletree Alana). A rental car is not really needed
on O'ahu as the bus system is good and in-expensive (routes 52 and 55 will
take you around the island).

If you go to Maui, consider staying in Kihei as it is a bit more central
than the Lahaina side. You would need a rental car on Maui (small/short cars
preferred as they are more managable on the narrow twisting coastal roads).

David S.

CoastWatcher April 5th, 2004 10:19 PM

Frugal Hawaii vacation?

Been there many times and tried lots of ways. One of the best/frugal
ways is one of the discount packages e.g. Pleasant Hawaiian. It is a
package deal which includes hotel. Not the best rooms but clean and
comfortable. Who's gonna sit in a hotel room anyway in Hawaii?! As for
another island, been there done that, make it another time and
concentrate on Oahu.