TravelBanter

-   Cruises (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   ncl cruise line (pearl) (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=106059)

ccm February 17th, 2007 12:23 AM

ncl cruise line (pearl)

Has anyone been on this new cruise ship to the Caribbean? I am
planning to take a trip on the Southern caribbean route in mid March
or April. If you have done this route... any suggestions of shore
excursions to avoid on the island itenarary route listed. I'll most
likely be going as a solo as I haven't found a companion that travel
at this time.
ccm

Tom K February 17th, 2007 10:43 PM

ncl cruise line (pearl)

You haven't listed any itinerary route.

"ccm" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone been on this new cruise ship to the Caribbean? I am
planning to take a trip on the Southern caribbean route in mid March
or April. If you have done this route... any suggestions of shore
excursions to avoid on the island itenarary route listed. I'll most
likely be going as a solo as I haven't found a companion that travel
at this time.
ccm

Splenda February 17th, 2007 11:47 PM

ncl cruise line (pearl)

NCL would have to pay ME to take another cruise with them.
I call it the 'bait and switch cruise line' because if we wanted good food
and service we had to pay $50 or more to eat in one of their many
'specialty' restaurants.

"Tom K" wrote in message
You haven't listed any itinerary route.

"ccm" wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone been on this new cruise ship to the Caribbean? I am
planning to take a trip on the Southern caribbean route in mid March
or April. If you have done this route... any suggestions of shore
excursions to avoid on the island itenarary route listed. I'll most
likely be going as a solo as I haven't found a companion that travel
at this time.
ccm

Karen Selwyn February 18th, 2007 12:21 PM

ncl cruise line (pearl)

Splenda wrote:

NCL would have to pay ME to take another cruise with them.
I call it the 'bait and switch cruise line' because if we wanted good food
and service we had to pay $50 or more to eat in one of their many
'specialty' restaurants.

How many is "we"? If "we" is two, you sure weaken your complaint when
you get your facts wrong. Dining in some speciality restaurants requires
a surchage of $10, $15, or $20 per person.

Splenda February 18th, 2007 12:38 PM

ncl cruise line (pearl)

"Karen Selwyn" wrote in message
Splenda wrote:

NCL would have to pay ME to take another cruise with them.
I call it the 'bait and switch cruise line' because if we wanted good
food and service we had to pay $50 or more to eat in one of their many
'specialty' restaurants.

How many is "we"? If "we" is two, you sure weaken your complaint when you
get your facts wrong. Dining in some speciality restaurants requires a
surchage of $10, $15, or $20 per person.

"WE" is 2 and my facts are correct. "We" were on the NCL Spirit October
2007. The charge per person was $25 AND the "Steak House" had 2 menus and if
we ordered French Onion Soup from their 2nd menu, instead of the Onion Soup
on the main menu it was $5 more.

Karen Selwyn February 18th, 2007 02:13 PM

ncl cruise line (pearl)

Splenda wrote:

"WE" is 2 and my facts are correct. "We" were on the NCL Spirit October
2007. The charge per person was $25 AND the "Steak House" had 2 menus and if
we ordered French Onion Soup from their 2nd menu, instead of the Onion Soup
on the main menu it was $5 more.

Your reference to two menus certainly doesn't match our experience in
Cagney's, the steakhouse on JEWEL. In Cagney's, we were given one menu.
A small section of the menu listed specialty entrees like surf and turf
that required a surcharge beyond the basic specialty restaurant charge.
Are you sure you aren't referring to a tasting menu in the steakhouse?

The French restaurant in the JEWEL offered a tasting menu with a $10
surcharge. However, the differences between the regular menu and the
tasting menu extended beyond onion soup VS French onion soup. The
tasting menu included an additional course and the menu involved more
expensive basic ingredients or an extra degree of service (e.g. table
side carving).

(Incidentally, gratineed French onion soup was available at the basic
price in the French restaurant.)

Since there are equivalent restaurants on the NCL ships, I'd love to
hear from others who have sailed on multiple ships. Are the menus and
pricing policies different for the same type restaurant on different ships?

If so, that seems like a counter-productive policy. Why charge a cruiser
for an item on one ship that they can get for free on another ship? In
these days of blogs and internet boards, information -- and
dissatisfaction -- is widely shared.

Rosalie B. February 18th, 2007 02:42 PM

ncl cruise line (pearl)

Karen Selwyn wrote:

Splenda wrote:

[...]

On HAL's Maasdam this past December the Pinnacle Grill price was $25
each. On the NCL Crown in 2004, there was only one specialty
restaurant that required extra money, and the complaint was that the
specialty restaurants that didn't require extra money filled up so
fast that one couldn't get a reservation and/or place to eat there.

I hated the buffet on the Maasdam and rarely ate there. We ate at the
NCL Crown buffet all the time. I've heard some complaints about that
buffet, but we just didn't pick the foods that we didn't care for.

I did not think the service was any different on the two ships.

Cruise Crazy February 19th, 2007 01:17 AM

ncl cruise line (pearl)

The charge for the specialty restaurants on NCL is now $30 per person.
NCL is a low cost line and remember the old adage..."You get what you
pay for". You pay upfront for the specialty restaurants on Oceania.

Personally, I prefer to pay upfront. I just wish tipping were included
in most lines upfront costs. One can also add more for extra service.

~~DORIS~~
**________*/*/___/*/___/*/_________
*\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
She sails again on April 14th for Europe

Karen Selwyn February 19th, 2007 02:45 AM

ncl cruise line (pearl)

Cruise Crazy wrote:

The charge for the specialty restaurants on NCL is now $30 per person.
NCL is a low cost line and remember the old adage..."You get what you
pay for". You pay upfront for the specialty restaurants on Oceania.

True. However, are you aware that cruisers on Oceania are limited to two
visits to each of the specialty restaurants?

Incidentally, there is a work-around strategy for the Oceania limit.
Suite cruisers are able to have their butlers serve a multi-course
dinner in their cabins from the main dining room menu and the Italian
and steakhouse specialty menus.

Greg February 19th, 2007 07:09 PM

ncl cruise line (pearl)

(Cruise Crazy) wrote in news:7278-45D8ECB4-1050
@storefull-3132.bay.webtv.net:

The charge for the specialty restaurants on NCL is now $30 per person.
NCL is a low cost line and remember the old adage..."You get what you
pay for". You pay upfront for the specialty restaurants on Oceania.

Personally, I prefer to pay upfront. I just wish tipping were included
in most lines upfront costs. One can also add more for extra service.

~~DORIS~~
She sails again on April 14th for Europe

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I just got off the NCL Spirit yesterday
and the Speciality Restaurants were priced between $10 - $20 depending on
which one.