TravelBanter

-   Cruises (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Noro on Celebrity Mercury (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=163278)

Seehorse Video March 5th, 2010 03:25 PM

Noro on Celebrity Mercury

I just read on Fox news that there have been about 40 cases of noro (or
something similar) on this week's sailing of the Mercury. Down from 400+
last week. At least they're heading in the right direction.

Maybe 40 out of almost 2,000 passengers is normal for flu symptoms.

Harry Cooper

Tom K March 5th, 2010 04:24 PM

Noro on Celebrity Mercury

On 3/5/10 10:25 AM, Seehorse Video wrote:
I just read on Fox news that there have been about 40 cases of noro (or
something similar) on this week's sailing of the Mercury. Down from 400+
last week. At least they're heading in the right direction.

Maybe 40 out of almost 2,000 passengers is normal for flu symptoms.

Harry Cooper

I don't think noro is generally similar to flu in terms of symptoms, or
the places each hits in the body. Flu is primarily upper and lower
respiratory: lungs, sinus, sore throat, etc., while noro is digestive
system.

--Tom

Kurt Ullman March 5th, 2010 05:28 PM

Noro on Celebrity Mercury

In article ,
Tom K wrote:

I don't think noro is generally similar to flu in terms of symptoms, or
the places each hits in the body. Flu is primarily upper and lower
respiratory: lungs, sinus, sore throat, etc., while noro is digestive
system.

--Tom

You'd be correct. However since flu can also cause nausea, vomiting
and diarrhea, which are probably the most memorable symptoms, these two
tend to get tied together. Especially amongst those Of a Certain Age who
grew up when all viruses were more or less called "the flu".

--
I get off on '57 Chevys
I get off on screamin' guitars

Surfer E2468 March 5th, 2010 10:23 PM

Noro on Celebrity Mercury

Also saw where celebrity millinium had 180 out of 2900,and rccl jewel of
the seas had 116 out of 3000, and some on hal maasdam no count.

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Surfer E2468 March 5th, 2010 10:25 PM

Noro on Celebrity Mercury

Still think it could be in the preparation,and storage of food. See many
many people eating meat not really cooked done,that is the first no-no

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..

Charles[_1_] March 6th, 2010 12:48 AM

Noro on Celebrity Mercury

In article , Surfer
E2468 wrote:

Still think it could be in the preparation,and storage of food. See many
many people eating meat not really cooked done,that is the first no-no

They can tell the difference between a virus and food poisoning.

How done meat needs to be cooked depends on the meat. Steak is ruined
if it is cooked more than medium rare. Ground beef should probably be
cooked at least medium.

--
Charles

frijoli[_5_] March 6th, 2010 02:02 AM

Noro on Celebrity Mercury

Surfer E2468 wrote:
Also saw where celebrity millinium had 180 out of 2900,and rccl jewel of
the seas had 116 out of 3000, and some on hal maasdam no count.

cruise lover(~~~~~)

.

The CDC says 3% of the population has Noro all the time. So
those number are just slightly above normal.

frijoli[_5_] March 6th, 2010 02:08 AM

Noro on Celebrity Mercury

Surfer E2468 wrote:
Still think it could be in the preparation,and storage of food. See many
many people eating meat not really cooked done,that is the first no-no

cruise lover(~~~~

Noro, and food poisoning are not related. Food poisoning can
cause similar symptoms, but is not passed from one
individual to another, and usually lasts a lot longer.

frijoli[_5_] March 6th, 2010 02:42 AM

Noro on Celebrity Mercury

Stu wrote:

Obviously you are not a cook, ground beef needs to be cooked well
done. Steak is different.

Explain.

Brian K[_2_] March 6th, 2010 04:21 AM

Noro on Celebrity Mercury

Surfer E2468 plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said On 3/5/2010
5:23 PM:
Also saw where celebrity millinium had 180 out of 2900,and rccl jewel of
the seas had 116 out of 3000, and some on hal maasdam no count.

cruise lover(~~~~~)

I wonder if it's because cruisers are finally getting with the program
and _washing_their_hands.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera