TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bicycle helmets Are they mandatory in Europe? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=106344)

[email protected] February 21st, 2007 10:02 PM

Bicycle helmets Are they mandatory in Europe?

Here in Canada it is mandatory to wear a bicycle helmet. (only when
riding a bike of course).

Is this the case in the European countries?

Do different countries have different requirements?

I always wear one when riding in Canada but for the very limited
riding we will do in Europe, they are a bit of a large item to carry
in my luggage.

Thanks

Gord

PeterL February 21st, 2007 10:10 PM

On Feb 21, 2:02 pm, wrote:
Here in Canada it is mandatory to wear a bicycle helmet. (only when
riding a bike of course).

Is this the case in the European countries?

Do different countries have different requirements?

I always wear one when riding in Canada but for the very limited
riding we will do in Europe, they are a bit of a large item to carry
in my luggage.

Thanks

Gord

If you fall and hit your head on the pavement who's going to fly you
back to Canada?

[email protected] February 21st, 2007 10:48 PM

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:23:42 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:02:28 GMT, wrote:

Here in Canada it is mandatory to wear a bicycle helmet. (only when
riding a bike of course).

Is this the case in the European countries?

Do different countries have different requirements?

I always wear one when riding in Canada but for the very limited
riding we will do in Europe, they are a bit of a large item to carry
in my luggage.

You could wear it on your head. There is nothing about not wearing cycling
helmets in planes in the terms and conditions. Nothing to stop you taking it off
once onboard.

Ha! Good suggestion Martin! However, with the security paranoia that
exists today, they could arrest me for looking funny. Funnier than
usual that is.

I still want to know the legal position on helmets in Europe. Last
time we were there, it was not an issue and we saw very few helmets.
That was several years ago.

Gord

Padraig Breathnach February 21st, 2007 10:49 PM

wrote:

Here in Canada it is mandatory to wear a bicycle helmet. (only when
riding a bike of course).

Is this the case in the European countries?

Do different countries have different requirements?

I always wear one when riding in Canada but for the very limited
riding we will do in Europe, they are a bit of a large item to carry
in my luggage.

Forget the legal requirements, and think about your personal
well-being. Wear one. If you are hiring a bike, you can probably hire
a helmet. If you don't care to, or none is available for hire, buy
one. When you are finished, find a bare-headed kid on a bike and give
it to him or her.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED

Mary Pegg[_2_] February 21st, 2007 10:58 PM

Padraig Breathnach wrote:

Forget the legal requirements, and think about your personal
well-being. Wear one. If you are hiring a bike, you can probably hire
a helmet. If you don't care to, or none is available for hire, buy
one. When you are finished, find a bare-headed kid on a bike and give
it to him or her.

Phooey. There's plenty of evidence that says they don't help (overall).

--
"Checking identity papers is a complete waste of time. If anyone can
be counted on to have valid papers, it will be the terrorists".

Mary Pegg[_2_] February 21st, 2007 10:59 PM

wrote:

Do different countries have different requirements?

Yes. Whatever the subject matter.

--
"Checking identity papers is a complete waste of time. If anyone can
be counted on to have valid papers, it will be the terrorists".

'Bill' F W Lewis February 21st, 2007 11:08 PM

Bicycle helmets Are they mandatory in Europe?

I never found a place where I rented a bicycle in France that I
could not also get a helmet thrown in for the same price. Paris, the
Loire and Nice.

-Bill Lewis
On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:02:28 GMT, wrote:

Here in Canada it is mandatory to wear a bicycle helmet. (only when
riding a bike of course).

Is this the case in the European countries?

Do different countries have different requirements?

I always wear one when riding in Canada but for the very limited
riding we will do in Europe, they are a bit of a large item to carry
in my luggage.

You could wear it on your head. There is nothing about not wearing cycling
helmets in planes in the terms and conditions. Nothing to stop you taking it off
once onboard.
--

Martin

Padraig Breathnach February 21st, 2007 11:44 PM

Mary Pegg wrote:

Padraig Breathnach wrote:

Forget the legal requirements, and think about your personal
well-being. Wear one. If you are hiring a bike, you can probably hire
a helmet. If you don't care to, or none is available for hire, buy
one. When you are finished, find a bare-headed kid on a bike and give
it to him or her.

Phooey. There's plenty of evidence that says they don't help (overall).

I'll settle for anecdotal evidence: there is one member of my family
who is convinced that her life was saved by wearing one.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
My travel writing: http://www.iol.ie/~draoi/

Deeply Filled Mortician February 21st, 2007 11:45 PM

Bicycle helmets Are they mandatory in Europe?

Let is be knownst that on Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:02:28 GMT,
writted:

Here in Canada it is mandatory to wear a bicycle helmet. (only when
riding a bike of course).

Is this the case in the European countries?

Do different countries have different requirements?

In Britain, France, Italy, Holland, and Germany you don't have to, and
I am not aw

Deeply Filled Mortician February 21st, 2007 11:49 PM

Bicycle helmets Are they mandatory in Europe?

Let is be knownst that on Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:02:28 GMT,
writted:

Here in Canada it is mandatory to wear a bicycle helmet. (only when
riding a bike of course).

Is this the case in the European countries?

Do different countries have different requirements?

In Britain, France, Italy, Holland, and Germany you don't have to, and
I am not aw

(damn, didn't finish that!)

I am not aware of anywhere in Europe that requires compulsory helmets.
--
---
DFM -