TravelBanter

-   Cruises (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   walkie talkies (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=122830)

nekochan October 15th, 2007 12:28 AM

walkie talkies

Can anyone recommend a brand of walkie talkies for the ship? Thanks in
advance.

Kurt Ullman October 15th, 2007 12:56 AM

walkie talkies

In article .com,
nekochan wrote:

Can anyone recommend a brand of walkie talkies for the ship? Thanks in
advance.

Walkie talkies can be weird on a ship. First of all if they are
family radio service that are usually the ones available at a WalMart or
Radio Shack, they may not be legal outside of the US and possibly
Canada. In some countries they share frequencies with public safety and
others they are unused frequencies. So, using them on land can be a
little dicey.
a Secondly, they don't generally react well to steel, so using them
(for instance) to call the hubby in the room from the pool or to ask the
Kid where she is instead of the table ready for dinner may not always
work. These are limitations of the radios themselves and tend to be
independent of brands.

J Carnaghie[_2_] October 15th, 2007 01:06 AM

walkie talkies

nekochan wrote:
Can anyone recommend a brand of walkie talkies for the ship? Thanks in
advance.

Most of them are worthless on a ship, and illegal
as well in a lot of foreign countries.
They also can be a real pain for those around you,
but then that is a personal decision.
If you still insist that you need a walkie talkie,
all of the GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service -
License required) radios will perform about the
same on a ship, poorly. FRS radios, lower power
[no license required] than GMRS will work just
about as well.
Cheers,
John in LALALand

Newby October 15th, 2007 10:51 AM

walkie talkies

"nekochan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone recommend a brand of walkie talkies for the ship? Thanks in
advance.

Kenwood Freetalk.

Alan Meyer October 16th, 2007 03:39 AM

walkie talkies

"nekochan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone recommend a brand of walkie talkies for the ship? Thanks in
advance.

I have used very cheap Conair Expedition FRS radios that I
bought many years ago onboard ships. They sometimes work
if you're not too far away from the other person, but you can't
count on them. When you're in your stateroom, separated by
many walls from the other person, the chance of hearing
anything is low.

I find them particularly useful in airports. When the wife goes
to the bathroom and I need to tell her that the plane is boarding,
the FRS radio is just the thing to use. I've also used them on
land where she might like to go into the shops and I prefer to
walk around or sit on a bench and read a book. They enable
us to find each other within a range of a mile or so.

Alan

Donald Newcomb October 16th, 2007 01:06 PM

walkie talkies

"Alan Meyer" wrote in message
. ..
I find them particularly useful in airports. When the wife goes
to the bathroom and I need to tell her that the plane is boarding,
the FRS radio is just the thing to use. I've also used them on
land where she might like to go into the shops and I prefer to
walk around or sit on a bench and read a book. They enable
us to find each other within a range of a mile or so.

When I hand my wife a little FRS radio she reacts like I was handing her a
rattlesnake. I don't know what it is but she just does not like the concept
of walkie talkies.

--
Donald R. Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Phaser October 16th, 2007 01:09 PM

walkie talkies

They are used all the time on offshore oil rigs and production platforms,
these places wouldn't operate properly without them. The only brand to get
is Motorola, not cheap but simply the best.

"nekochan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone recommend a brand of walkie talkies for the ship? Thanks in
advance.

Dillon Pyron October 16th, 2007 01:46 PM

walkie talkies

Thus spake Kurt Ullman :

In article .com,
nekochan wrote:

Can anyone recommend a brand of walkie talkies for the ship? Thanks in
advance.

Walkie talkies can be weird on a ship. First of all if they are
family radio service that are usually the ones available at a WalMart or
Radio Shack, they may not be legal outside of the US and possibly
Canada. In some countries they share frequencies with public safety and
others they are unused frequencies. So, using them on land can be a
little dicey.
a Secondly, they don't generally react well to steel, so using them
(for instance) to call the hubby in the room from the pool or to ask the
Kid where she is instead of the table ready for dinner may not always
work. These are limitations of the radios themselves and tend to be
independent of brands.

I take my 2 meter radios. But we both have licenses and they are
legal everywhere, although there are certain registration requirements
in most places. Which we take care of in advance and which are
permanent. But that takes a license with serious study. And they're
worthless on the ship. Too much attenuation.
--
dillon

Elvis is still dead

Newby October 16th, 2007 03:32 PM

walkie talkies

"Dillon Pyron" wrote in message
Thus spake Kurt Ullman :

In article .com,
nekochan wrote:

Can anyone recommend a brand of walkie talkies for the ship? Thanks in
advance.

[snipped]
I take my 2 meter radios.

[snipped]
And they're
worthless on the ship. Too much attenuation.
--
dillon

So, take your 70cm (440) radios if you have them. Much more useful in
buildings, ships, etc., than 2 meter radios.

Uncle Peter October 16th, 2007 11:39 PM

walkie talkies

"Newby" wrote in message

dillon

So, take your 70cm (440) radios if you have them. Much more useful in
buildings, ships, etc., than 2 meter radios.

Ham radio is expressly prohibited on some lines. Some clown probably
started DXing off the balcony and raised a lot of flack.