TravelBanter

-   Cruises (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Has anyone here sailed on Holland America's Oosterdam? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=168256)

Marcia August 11th, 2010 07:29 AM

Has anyone here sailed on Holland America's Oosterdam?

I'm hoping to go on another Alaska cruise WITH my fiance this time, and
we're probably going with Holland America instead of Princess. I've
read their beds are comfortable and there are tubs in the bathroom
instead of tiny showers. Any opinions of that ship?

Thanks,
Marcia

Charles[_1_] August 11th, 2010 10:39 AM

Has anyone here sailed on Holland America's Oosterdam?

In article , Marcia
wrote:

I'm hoping to go on another Alaska cruise WITH my fiance this time, and
we're probably going with Holland America instead of Princess. I've
read their beds are comfortable and there are tubs in the bathroom
instead of tiny showers. Any opinions of that ship?

I have not been on the Oosterdam but I have been on a sister ship, the
Westerdam. They are the large HAL Vista class ships. The beds on
Holland America are very comfortable. Not all cabins have tubs. The
tubs are small tubs. I would not choose HAL because of the bathrooms.
HAL does have good Alaska itineraries and usually good prices. Also the
food and service on HAL are better than Princess. The activities are
not as good.

--
Charles

number6 August 11th, 2010 02:15 PM

On Aug 11, 2:29*am, Marcia wrote:
I'm hoping to go on another Alaska cruise WITH my fiance this time, and
we're probably going with Holland America instead of Princess. *I've
read their beds are comfortable and there are tubs in the bathroom
instead of tiny showers. *Any opinions of that ship?

Thanks,
Marcia

Very nice ship easy to get around ... If you can - get one of the
stern balconies ... they are huge and I found it very pleasant sailing
away watching the wake ...

Marcia August 11th, 2010 08:24 PM

Has anyone here sailed on Holland America's Oosterdam?

Charles wrote:
In article , Marcia
wrote:

I'm hoping to go on another Alaska cruise WITH my fiance this time, and
we're probably going with Holland America instead of Princess. I've
read their beds are comfortable and there are tubs in the bathroom
instead of tiny showers. Any opinions of that ship?

I have not been on the Oosterdam but I have been on a sister ship, the
Westerdam. They are the large HAL Vista class ships. The beds on
Holland America are very comfortable. Not all cabins have tubs. The
tubs are small tubs. I would not choose HAL because of the bathrooms.
HAL does have good Alaska itineraries and usually good prices. Also the
food and service on HAL are better than Princess. The activities are
not as good.

One of the things I hated about our cabin on the Sapphire Princess was
how small the shower was. I am not a big person, but it was really hard
to move around in there. LOL. I like the idea of the tub to shower in,
because there has to be more room. Plus from the few pics I found
online, the HAL bathroom looks less like an airplane bathroom than the
one we had. The edge around the sink was so small, there was always a
puddle on the floor after using it.

Marcia

Marcia August 11th, 2010 08:26 PM

number6 wrote:
On Aug 11, 2:29 am, Marcia wrote:
I'm hoping to go on another Alaska cruise WITH my fiance this time, and
we're probably going with Holland America instead of Princess. I've
read their beds are comfortable and there are tubs in the bathroom
instead of tiny showers. Any opinions of that ship?

Thanks,
Marcia

Very nice ship easy to get around ... If you can - get one of the
stern balconies ... they are huge and I found it very pleasant sailing
away watching the wake ...

Are those just regular veranda rooms or suites? I kind of like being
mid ship because my fiance isn't the best sailer in the world and it's
more stable. We'll see.

Thanks,
Marcia

Nonnymus[_10_] August 11th, 2010 09:21 PM

"Marcia" wrote in message
I'm hoping to go on another Alaska cruise WITH my fiance this time, and
we're probably going with Holland America instead of Princess. I've read
their beds are comfortable and there are tubs in the bathroom instead of
tiny showers. Any opinions of that ship?

Thanks,
Marcia

When our cabin doesn't have a tub, I solve the problem by sitting on the
drain of the shower and pretending it's a very shallow tub. It works swell,
and you can reach the complimentary back brush they provide easily.

Nonny

Marcia August 11th, 2010 09:51 PM

Nonnymus wrote:
"Marcia" wrote in message
I'm hoping to go on another Alaska cruise WITH my fiance this time,
and we're probably going with Holland America instead of Princess.
I've read their beds are comfortable and there are tubs in the
bathroom instead of tiny showers. Any opinions of that ship?

Thanks,
Marcia

When our cabin doesn't have a tub, I solve the problem by sitting on the
drain of the shower and pretending it's a very shallow tub. It works
swell, and you can reach the complimentary back brush they provide easily.

Nonny

LOL. I don't want to take a bath, but I would like a little extra room
in the shower. ;-)

Marcia

JRachels August 11th, 2010 10:15 PM

On 8/11/2010 4:51 PM, Marcia wrote:
Nonnymus wrote:
"Marcia" wrote in message
I'm hoping to go on another Alaska cruise WITH my fiance this time,
and we're probably going with Holland America instead of Princess.
I've read their beds are comfortable and there are tubs in the
bathroom instead of tiny showers. Any opinions of that ship?

Thanks,
Marcia

When our cabin doesn't have a tub, I solve the problem by sitting on
the drain of the shower and pretending it's a very shallow tub. It
works swell, and you can reach the complimentary back brush they
provide easily.

Nonny

LOL. I don't want to take a bath, but I would like a little extra room
in the shower. ;-)

Marcia

I've always referred to them as "Barbie Tubs". They do give you much
more room than the shower only cabins.

JR

--
"We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are." - The Talmud
"People demand the freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of

Charles[_1_] August 12th, 2010 12:46 AM

Has anyone here sailed on Holland America's Oosterdam?

In article , Marcia
wrote:

She mentioned Celebrity, but I think she said the ships are smaller.
I'm not locked into anything yet, which is why I am again asking

The Celebrity ships doing Alaska are about the same size as the
Oosterdam. It is HAL that has a bunch of smaller ships doing Alaska.
Smaller is better for Alaska. We are doing a HAL cruise on one of the
smaller HAL ships in a couple of weeks.

--
Charles

Marcia August 12th, 2010 01:28 AM

[...]