TravelBanter

-   Australia & New Zealand (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Road Map (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=7473)

Ed Gray W0SD November 17th, 2003 11:14 PM

Road Map

I would appreciate suggestions as to how I can get up to date road maps
for Australia? We are planning a 3 month trip to Australia and NZ and
hope to drive but we need to get a better handle on where it makes sense
to drive or take a train or fly.

Ed

Richard November 18th, 2003 12:16 AM

Road Map

Where are you living, Ed? Here in Toronto there are several outlets which
sell road maps of Australia, and even city maps for the larger cities. I
suggest phoning around local book stores and seeing if any have such
maps, or can direct you in some way elsewhere.

The Rand McNally (Hallwag) Australia road map is excellent, in Canada it
cost $17. I'm sure there are others just as good.

Best of luck.

Richard

Ed Gray W0SD wrote in news:3FB95655.9040503
@triotel.neet:

I would appreciate suggestions as to how I can get up to date road maps
for Australia? We are planning a 3 month trip to Australia and NZ and
hope to drive but we need to get a better handle on where it makes

sense
to drive or take a train or fly.

Ed

Raffi Balmanoukian November 18th, 2003 01:07 AM

Road Map

in article , Richard at
wrote on 11/17/03 8:16 PM:

Where are you living, Ed? Here in Toronto there are several outlets which
sell road maps of Australia, and even city maps for the larger cities. I
suggest phoning around local book stores and seeing if any have such
maps, or can direct you in some way elsewhere.

The Rand McNally (Hallwag) Australia road map is excellent, in Canada it
cost $17. I'm sure there are others just as good.

Best of luck.

Richard

Ed Gray W0SD wrote in news:3FB95655.9040503
@triotel.neet:

I would appreciate suggestions as to how I can get up to date road maps
for Australia? We are planning a 3 month trip to Australia and NZ and
hope to drive but we need to get a better handle on where it makes

sense
to drive or take a train or fly.

Ed

The Penguin Road Atlas is very good for the main (or, in rural areas, only)
roads....needs to be supplemented by city maps though for the capitals.

Melstar November 18th, 2003 04:43 AM

Road Map

"Raffi Balmanoukian" a
wrote in message
news:BBDEEAE0.1DA69%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca...
in article , Richard at
wrote on 11/17/03 8:16 PM:

[...]

For melbourne and Sydney try
www.melway.com.au
www.whereis.com.au is also a good one.
http://www.ga.gov.au/map/names/featurecodes.jsp#RSTA (is a great site, just
put the place of interest and it tells you were it is.

Vin November 18th, 2003 10:17 PM

Road Map

Ed Gray W0SD wrote:
I would appreciate suggestions as to how I can get up to date road maps
for Australia? We are planning a 3 month trip to Australia and NZ and
hope to drive but we need to get a better handle on where it makes sense
to drive or take a train or fly.

If you are thinking of spending a lot of time in Victoria in the
country, then the best map for that is the VICROADS map, which
should be available in most bookshops. If not, the go to RAVC.
It has road maps of major (and quite a few minor) country towns
as well as a Melbourne major roads map.

Vin.

--
Vin
Melbourne, Australia

Ross November 19th, 2003 03:58 AM

Road Map

G'day Ed,

My wife and I have been wandering around Oz for ten years (more or less).

One book we use is "Explore Australia xxxx" where the xxxx represents a
year.

I put that in because we have used several of these books and when they fall
apart we update.

Our current version 2002.

Published by Penguin ( http://www.penguin.com.au ) a search of their web
pages may produce something of use to you.

Who knows, you may even find something suitable for NZ.

Ross

"Ed Gray W0SD" wrote in message
I would appreciate suggestions as to how I can get up to date road maps
for Australia? We are planning a 3 month trip to Australia and NZ and
hope to drive but we need to get a better handle on where it makes sense
to drive or take a train or fly.

Ed

Julie November 19th, 2003 05:14 AM

Road Map

This is a very good site for maps for anywhere in Australia. I have bought
some of the books, in particular "Around Australia by Caravan"

http://www.exploreaustralia.com.au/index.php

Julie
Melbourne, Australia.

wrote on 11/17/03 8:16 PM:

[...]

Gerrit 't Hart November 19th, 2003 11:47 AM

Road Map

"Melstar" wrote in message

For melbourne and Sydney try www.melway.com.au

Not related to Mr Melway are we?! :-)

Gerrit

Frank Slootweg December 12th, 2003 01:20 PM

Road Map

[Very late response. Just back from Oz.]

Ed Gray W0SD wrote:
I would appreciate suggestions as to how I can get up to date road maps
for Australia? We are planning a 3 month trip to Australia and NZ and
hope to drive but we need to get a better handle on where it makes sense
to drive or take a train or fly.

Ed

Not for planning, but during the actual driving, you may want to use
'stripmaps'. Some of these can be boughti at the automobile clubs. You
can also download some. For the current RACV ones you need a membership:

http://maps.racv.com.au/index.jsp

but there is an archive:

http://pandora.nla.gov.au/pan/25841/...stripmaps.html

This thread discusses the issue (click on "View: Complete Thread"):

a.net