TravelBanter

-   Asia (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Eliat, Israel (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=5017)

jjoyce November 4th, 2003 03:57 PM

Eliat, Israel

Hi there savyy travelers,

I want to go this December from Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem to Eliat, on the
Red Sea shore. Which is the most convinient (and safest, given the current
political environment) way to get to Eliat from anywhere in Israel? Bus?
Plane? Car?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-Mark

PS: xposting also to r.t.e.

webpecker November 4th, 2003 05:59 PM

Eliat, Israel

On 4 Nov 2003 07:57:23 -0800, (jjoyce) wrote:

I want to go this December from Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem to Eliat, on the

if you go googling look for EILAT or you get nothing :-)

a.spencer3 November 4th, 2003 06:18 PM

Eliat, Israel

jjoyce wrote in message
om...
Hi there savyy travelers,

I want to go this December from Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem to Eliat, on the
Red Sea shore. Which is the most convinient (and safest, given the current
political environment) way to get to Eliat from anywhere in Israel? Bus?
Plane? Car?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-Mark

PS: xposting also to r.t.e.

Plane, I would think. A military airfield around 10 miles north is used by
civil aircraft, and there's also an airfield right in the centre of the
town.
Unless you do want to see the superb Negev scenery, driving must be around
4+ hours from Jerusalem.
Enjoy - it's a very modern resort (but OK nevertheless!) and, above all, a
superb centre for much travelling from St. Catherine's to Petra.

Surreyman

Bjorn Olsson November 4th, 2003 07:35 PM

Eliat, Israel

(jjoyce) wrote in message . com...
Hi there savyy travelers,

I want to go this December from Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem to Eliat, on the
Red Sea shore. Which is the most convinient (and safest, given the current
political environment) way to get to Eliat from anywhere in Israel? Bus?
Plane? Car?

Any thoughts?

Eilat would be one of the safest places you can be in Israel, about as
far away from the problems as you can get. Catch the bus from Tel
Aviv.

Bjorn

Michael Brennan November 4th, 2003 07:39 PM

Eliat, Israel

In article ,
webpecker wrote:
On 4 Nov 2003 07:57:23 -0800, (jjoyce) wrote:

I want to go this December from Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem to Eliat, on the

if you go googling look for EILAT or you get nothing :-)

They have lots of buses leaving each day for Eilat. I cannot believe it
is any different today than when I was there (in more peaceful times). I
seem to remember leaving from a central bus station, midway between Tel
Aviv and Jerusalem - sorry my memory is at a loss to be more specific, it
was a 8 hour journey, arriving in Eilat at 5am in the morning. Lots of military
types going to Eilat for a couple of days when I went, if that is any
consolation.

I took a plane out of Eilat, actually the airport is a military airfield a
45minute bus ride out of Eilat. They take security seriously there, had a
search and an interview with a military type before being allowed to go to
the boarding area.

Eilat was interesting (bit tacky), to be honest, wish I had spent more time
around Galilee and Jerusalem.

--mikeb

Anders November 5th, 2003 09:13 AM

Eliat, Israel

jjoyce wrote:

Hi there savyy travelers,

I want to go this December from Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem to Eliat, on the
Red Sea shore. Which is the most convinient (and safest, given the current
political environment) way to get to Eliat from anywhere in Israel? Bus?
Plane? Car?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-Mark

PS: xposting also to r.t.e.

Definitely the Egyptian side, avoid Israel by all means these times.

And if you want to dive there is much better dive sites on the Egyptian
side too.

Not to mention the war, Egypt is friendly and peaceful and laid back and
there is no risk of getting a bullet in the head.

/Anders
--
Remove the obvious part before replying by mail please!

JB November 5th, 2003 04:24 PM

Eliat, Israel

Anders wrote in :

jjoyce wrote:

Hi there savyy travelers,

I want to go this December from Tel-Aviv or Jerusalem to Eliat, on
the Red Sea shore. Which is the most convinient (and safest, given
the current political environment) way to get to Eliat from anywhere
in Israel? Bus? Plane? Car?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

-Mark

PS: xposting also to r.t.e.

Definitely the Egyptian side, avoid Israel by all means these times.

And if you want to dive there is much better dive sites on the
Egyptian side too.

Not to mention the war, Egypt is friendly and peaceful and laid back
and there is no risk of getting a bullet in the head.

/Anders

Sigh...You don't tell someone to avoid a place when he/she asks for
advice on that place. People are traveling to Israel, Cuba, Myanmar,
Kashmir every day, and they're not looking for somewhere safer, less
interesting to them. As for myself, I'll be in Israel the same time,
driving from Tel Aviv to Eilat if you want a ride.

jb

Lasse November 6th, 2003 09:46 AM

Eliat, Israel

Anders wrote in :

Definitely the Egyptian side, avoid Israel by all means these times.

And if you want to dive there is much better dive sites on the
Egyptian side too.

Not to mention the war, Egypt is friendly and peaceful and laid back
and there is no risk of getting a bullet in the head.

/Anders

Sigh...You don't tell someone to avoid a place when he/she asks for
advice on that place. People are traveling to Israel, Cuba, Myanmar,
Kashmir every day, and they're not looking for somewhere safer, less
interesting to them. As for myself, I'll be in Israel the same time,
driving from Tel Aviv to Eilat if you want a ride.

jb

I think you should avoid Israel for political reasons, not safety ones.
And BTW, this is the wrong newsgroup, Israel is not in Europe.

jjoyce November 6th, 2003 02:04 PM

Eliat, Israel

Anders wrote in message ...

Definitely the Egyptian side, avoid Israel by all means these times.

I know the risk to be caught in a terror attack exists, but I'd say
Eilat is pretty safe. But I will spend couple of days each in
Tel-Aviv, Haifa and Jerusalem though. Driving or flying seems to be
the most sensible options. I'll try to avoid buses and crowded places.
Nevertheless, there's nothing you can do in case some wacko decides to
blow himself up. But, at least, the fear terrorists want to provoke in
average people won't stop me to enjoy my holydays. F*ck'em!.

-Mark

a.spencer3 November 6th, 2003 03:53 PM

Eliat, Israel

jjoyce wrote in message
om...
Anders wrote in message

Definitely the Egyptian side, avoid Israel by all means these times.

I know the risk to be caught in a terror attack exists, but I'd say
Eilat is pretty safe. But I will spend couple of days each in
Tel-Aviv, Haifa and Jerusalem though. Driving or flying seems to be
the most sensible options. I'll try to avoid buses and crowded places.
Nevertheless, there's nothing you can do in case some wacko decides to
blow himself up. But, at least, the fear terrorists want to provoke in
average people won't stop me to enjoy my holydays. F*ck'em!.

Agreed. And Eilat, although almost surrounded, is probably *very* safe.
Local Egyptian/Israeli/Jordanian relationships were excellent when I was
last there. Newcomers to Israel should check their maps, though. I've had
friends returning surprised that they could not now get to Bethlehem or
Jericho ..........
And the road I know down to Eilat (including Masada) - along the western
edge of the Dead Sea - is now in 'Palestine' isn't it? Is that still readily
open?

Surreyman