TravelBanter

-   Cruises (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Why do you cruise? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=121475)

Anka September 22nd, 2007 01:20 AM

Why do you cruise?

Just wondering...

What is your #1 reason for cruising, as opposed to land touring?

~Anka

clint September 22nd, 2007 01:31 AM

Why do you cruise?

Peeing of the balconey!
"Anka" wrote in message
ps.com...
Just wondering...

What is your #1 reason for cruising, as opposed to land touring?

~Anka

rieker September 22nd, 2007 01:32 AM

Why do you cruise?

What is your #1 reason for cruising, as opposed to land touring?

Value and variety and I like the sea.

Value: meals, lodging, entertainment, no driving, no packing/unpacking every
day or so, freedom to do or not do what you want, even if you are with a
group.

Variety: Every day a different site to see, either a foreign port or the
open ocean on a sea day.

When I read sea stories as a youngster I always wondered what led men to a
life at sea. Some went out of economic necessity, but some acquired salt
water in their veins and wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Now I know that I am not a seaman. Just a silly tourist. But on a warm,
sunny sea day with a tropical breeze in my face, I get a little of the
feeling that this would be an interesting life.

Anka September 22nd, 2007 01:46 AM

Why do you cruise?

On Sep 21, 7:31?pm, "clint" wrote:
Peeing of the balconey!"Anka" wrote in message

ps.com...

Just wondering...

What is your #1 reason for cruising, as opposed to land touring?

~Anka- Hide quoted text -

Why, Clint... You being a senior... I thought you did that in your
Depends.

~Anka

Paul Krause September 22nd, 2007 03:17 AM

Why do you cruise?

In article om,
Anka wrote:

Just wondering...

What is your #1 reason for cruising, as opposed to land touring?

~Anka

1. Seclusion: No cell phones, stay away from internet (even though it
is available... a real get away.

2. just really enjoy reading on deck or balcony

3. value: all is included (I don't drink)

4. get to see new places without having to fly

Val Kraut September 22nd, 2007 04:08 AM

Why do you cruise?

The same reason I like trains - it minimizes the need to deal with airlines
and the airport messes.

And basically you hang up your clothes once and get to visit many places,
and as you're traveling you get to have nice meals, dance, go to shows etc.
Can you imagine doing the equivalent of a 12 day Baltic cruise with
airlines and checking in and out of hotels. Each Day's tour would be the
security process at the airport.

Val Kraut

Rosalie B. September 22nd, 2007 06:00 AM

Why do you cruise?

What is your #1 reason for cruising, as opposed to land touring?

We do land touring too.

We only started cruising on big ships after it became too stressful
for us to cruise long distances on our own boat. Last time we did an
extensive winter trip, we ran aground in the middle of the channel on
the way home. While that wasn't unusual, this was the first time that
we ever had to call a tow boat in the eight years we had the boat.

The big ships have the advantage over our little boat of not needing
our input for cooking, cleaning, driving, or how to dock and undock.
We don't have to plan or worry about the wind or the weather.

Both kinds of boats (big and little) get us to places without flying
(I pick cruises that we can drive to because that is important - my
husband almost will not fly anymore) and without having to pack and
unpack (unlike most land touring).

Both land and sea travel let me tour various places, eat in local
restaurants and take pictures. Sometimes I get to swim or snorkel
too.

Our boat has the advantage that we can sail it (it is a sailboat)
which I like better although it is slower, and I also like that we are
not traveling in a crowd.

Both land and water methods of travel lack access to the internet
sometimes, and that's my primary means of communication. Since we
are retired, the idea of being isolated from phones and internet as
something relaxing does not apply to us. We already do what we want
to do when we want it and I find it a significant disadvantage not to
be able to use the internet when I'm traveling.

Dory Samuels September 22nd, 2007 01:02 PM

Why do you cruise?

I agree with all the reasons already mentioned but have one more and it
is a biggie. No one on board is a stranger to me. I'll strike up a
conversation with anyone but only on the ship. "All in the same boat"
thinking.

~~DORY~~
**________*/*/___/*/___/*/_________
*\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

****

George Leppla September 22nd, 2007 01:18 PM

Why do you cruise?

"Paul Krause" wrote

What is your #1 reason for cruising, as opposed to land touring?

~Anka

1. Seclusion: No cell phones, stay away from internet (even though it
is available... a real get away.

OTOH - many people are now able to take more cruises because of the improved
communications available on a ship. Keeping up with business while on a
vacation may not be fun, but if the hour a day someone spends working means
they can spend the other 23 having a good vacation, it is a good trade-off.

--
George Leppla http://www.CruiseMaster.com

January 20, 2008 - GGC2008 - http://cruisemaster.com/adventure.htm
October 26, 2008 Sleazy 5 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy5.htm

Cruise Crazy September 22nd, 2007 01:39 PM

Why do you cruise?

We are old and cruising is the easiest way to travel. But it is also the
most civilized way. Comparing it to air travel...well, there really is
no comparison. Land touring is great when one wants to spend time in any
one place and gives one the chance to experience"the flavor" of that
place, but cruising can give one a small taste without the hassle of
packing and unpacking.

~~DORIS~~
Azamara Quest 10-26-2007
Carnival Inspiation 1-10-2008