TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Hotels in Quebec city, Quebec, Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=19147)

ajmiester April 13th, 2004 10:17 PM

Hotels in Quebec city, Quebec, Canada

Hi,

I am travelling with my wife and two kids to Quebec city next week,
would like to get some suggestions on where to stay and places to
visit in Quebec city, Quebec, Canada. I did do some search on Orbitz,
Travelocity and Expedia but due to my lack of knowledge of the city do
not know which is a good place to stay. I will be driving therefore a
place with parking but not too expensive with a location in or near
the city would be great.

Thank you in advance.
Aj

Mike from Ottawa April 14th, 2004 01:44 AM

Hotels in Quebec city, Quebec, Canada

On 13 Apr 2004 14:17:50 -0700, (ajmiester)
wrote:

Hi,

I am travelling with my wife and two kids to Quebec city next week,
would like to get some suggestions on where to stay and places to
visit in Quebec city, Quebec, Canada. I did do some search on Orbitz,
Travelocity and Expedia but due to my lack of knowledge of the city do
not know which is a good place to stay. I will be driving therefore a
place with parking but not too expensive with a location in or near
the city would be great.

Thank you in advance.

Last August, we stayed at the Best Western Hotel l'Aristocrate, 3100
chemin St Louis, in St Foy.

We've been to some really crappy Best Westerns, but this was a
pleasant surprise. The most pleasant surprise was the restaurant, La
Fenouilliere, which was excellent.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwest...ertyCode=67007

---
Mike from Ottawa

Keith April 14th, 2004 02:06 AM

Hotels in Quebec city, Quebec, Canada

AJ,

I just literally checked out of "Chateau Frontenac" on Sunday. I would
highly recommend it. I know you said "not too expensive" but it really
kicks butt. Great location, great hotel, staff was super friendly, service
superb, etc. That is probably one of the best experiences I have had at a
hotel.

Depending on how long you are staying, I think they currently offer Buy 3
days Get 1 free deal. Don't forget to get your tax refund when leaving
Canada(or hotel and purchases over $50 per receipt) For our 10 day trip, we
got back upwards of $200 canadian.

And if you are staying for less than 4 days, then perhaps the added extra
cost might be justifiable.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...42_indacc.html

has a list of about 2 dozen hotels, with a write up about each.

Keith M
Pittsburgh

"ajmiester" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I am travelling with my wife and two kids to Quebec city next week,
would like to get some suggestions on where to stay and places to
visit in Quebec city, Quebec, Canada. I did do some search on Orbitz,
Travelocity and Expedia but due to my lack of knowledge of the city do
not know which is a good place to stay. I will be driving therefore a
place with parking but not too expensive with a location in or near
the city would be great.

Thank you in advance.
Aj

pltrgyst April 14th, 2004 03:40 AM

Hotels in Quebec city, Quebec, Canada

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 21:06:24 -0400, "Keith"
wrote:
.... Don't forget to get your tax refund when leaving
Canada(or hotel and purchases over $50 per receipt)

There's no refund on hotels, is there?

-- Larry

Keith April 14th, 2004 05:38 AM

Hotels in Quebec city, Quebec, Canada

Yup. Most definitely, I got refunded just Sunday.

Look at http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/tax/nonre...ors/tax-e.html

.......excerpt:

for eligible goods and short-term accommodation, your total purchase amount
(before taxes) is at least CAN$200; and

........end excerpt.

Keith

P.S. I was surprised, as most other western european countries don't allow
it.

wrote:
.... Don't forget to get your tax refund when leaving
Canada(or hotel and purchases over $50 per receipt)

There's no refund on hotels, is there?

-- Larry

ajmiester April 14th, 2004 03:52 PM

wrote:
.... Don't forget to get your tax refund when leaving
Canada(or hotel and purchases over $50 per receipt)

There's no refund on hotels, is there?

-- Larry

Thank you all.
Aj

pltrgyst April 15th, 2004 04:40 AM

Hotels in Quebec city, Quebec, Canada

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 00:38:48 -0400, "Keith"
wrote:

Yup. Most definitely, I got refunded just Sunday.

Look at http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/tax/nonre...ors/tax-e.html

......excerpt:

for eligible goods and short-term accommodation, your total purchase amount
(before taxes) is at least CAN$200; and

.......end excerpt.

Keith

P.S. I was surprised, as most other western european countries don't allow
it.

Very interesting. The brochure we were given in Canada last July
definitely said hotels were not refunded, so we didn't even try. 8;(

-- Larry

Keith April 15th, 2004 07:55 PM

Hotels in Quebec city, Quebec, Canada

Larry,

Very interesting. The brochure we were given in Canada last July
definitely said hotels were not refunded, so we didn't even try. 8;(

I hate to add insult to injury, but I went to Canada(Niagara Falls) last
July (something like July 3rd thru the 8th or something), and got my tax
removed right at the hotel! :)

-- Larry

Keith

pltrgyst April 16th, 2004 11:06 PM

Hotels in Quebec city, Quebec, Canada

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:55:28 -0400, "Keith"
wrote:

Larry,

Very interesting. The brochure we were given in Canada last July
definitely said hotels were not refunded, so we didn't even try. 8;(

I hate to add insult to injury, but I went to Canada(Niagara Falls) last
July (something like July 3rd thru the 8th or something), and got my tax
removed right at the hotel! :)

Well damn, man, you could have told me -- we were in NF and
Niagara-on-the-Lake at the same time. 8;)

Then we went up to Toronto and over to Sarnia.

-- Larry

Keith April 18th, 2004 02:12 AM

wrote:
Well damn, man, you could have told me -- we were in NF and
Niagara-on-the-Lake at the same time. 8;)

heh. well sorry! As I do prior to most trips, I usually post a couple
questions for restaurants etc in advance. Did you miss them!?@# :)

Keith
Pittsburgh