TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How the London to Brighton train ride has changed in 60 years (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=180465)

Mike O'Sullivan[_2_] August 28th, 2013 07:30 PM

How the London to Brighton train ride has changed in 60 years

This is pretty good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23857210

David Hatunen[_2_] August 29th, 2013 12:00 AM

How the London to Brighton train ride has changed in 60 years

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 19:30:32 +0100, Mike O'Sullivan
wrote:

This is pretty good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23857210

Fascinating. I've only made that trip once, about ten years or so ago,
although I've been between LGW and Victora Station several times. So I
kept trying to figure out when we were in LGW (if, in fact we were)
but it was too fast for me. Anyone know at which time on the video
timing that would have been?

Tom P[_6_] August 29th, 2013 04:40 PM

On 08/28/2013 08:30 PM, Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
This is pretty good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23857210

I used to ride the London to Brighton train regularly when I was a
student in Brighton.
"as long as I gaze on
Waterloo sunsets
I am in paradise"

JohnT[_9_] August 29th, 2013 06:34 PM

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 17:40:21 +0200, Tom P wrote:

On 08/28/2013 08:30 PM, Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
This is pretty good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23857210

I used to ride the London to Brighton train regularly when I was a
student in Brighton.
"as long as I gaze on
Waterloo sunsets
I am in paradise"

and in Belgium :)

I was told, many years ago, by a Sabena First Officer, that Brussels
Zaventem Airport is adjacent to the site of the battle of Waterloo. But
Google Earth suggests that it isn't very near!
--
JohnT

Tom P[_6_] August 30th, 2013 02:54 PM

On 08/29/2013 05:58 PM, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 17:40:21 +0200, Tom P wrote:

On 08/28/2013 08:30 PM, Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
This is pretty good.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23857210

I used to ride the London to Brighton train regularly when I was a
student in Brighton.
"as long as I gaze on
Waterloo sunsets
I am in paradise"

and in Belgium :)

lol.. I meant the view of the setting sun over the Thames of course.

Gawdlezz September 2nd, 2013 01:40 AM

How the London to Brighton train ride has changed in 60 years

On 8/29/2013 2:04 PM, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 18:34:45 +0100, "JohnT"
wrote:

I was told, many years ago, by a Sabena First Officer, that Brussels
Zaventem Airport is adjacent to the site of the battle of Waterloo. But
Google Earth suggests that it isn't very near!

Google Earth is correct. Waterloo is south of Brussels, Zaventem is
the east of Brussels.

Looks like more north-east-ish to me. Tervuren, now _that's_ east.

Gawdlezz September 3rd, 2013 03:11 AM

On 9/2/2013 2:43 AM, Martin wrote:

On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 17:40:02 -0700, Gawdlezz wrote:

On 8/29/2013 2:04 PM, Martin wrote:

Google Earth is correct. Waterloo is south of Brussels, Zaventem is
the east of Brussels.

Looks like more north-east-ish to me. Tervuren, now _that's_ east.

How about ENE nit picker?

Given the legendary traffic jams on the Ring, it doesn't seem to matter
where it is. You're not going to get there on time anyway.