TravelBanter

-   Cruises (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   are paper tickets necessary? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=78551)

ccc December 3rd, 2005 11:01 PM

are paper tickets necessary?

There is a chance our tickets won't arrive in time for a Princess
cruise in early January (from Rio).
Just wondering whether in these computerised days that would be very
serious? The immigration details have been done online and we have ID,
passports, etc.
Has anyone had experience of this?
Cheers
Kipling

Paul December 3rd, 2005 11:35 PM

are paper tickets necessary?

In article ,
ccc qqqqq@jjjj wrote:

There is a chance our tickets won't arrive in time for a Princess
cruise in early January (from Rio).
Just wondering whether in these computerised days that would be very
serious? The immigration details have been done online and we have ID,
passports, etc.

I don't have experience with this, but have read on more than one
occasion that the cruise docs aren't necessary. As long as your names
are on the manifest and you show up with proper ID (passport; birth
certificate/drivers license) you'll be allowed to board the ship.

I'd call Princess and make sure you're scheduled to be on the cruise,
then show up with the proper ID...and don't give the missing docs a
second thought.

Ray Goldenberg December 4th, 2005 12:36 AM

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 09:01:48 +1000, ccc qqqqq@jjjj wrote:

Just wondering whether in these computerised days that would be very
serious?

Hi Kipling,

The cruise line issued ticket booklet is unnecessary. As long as your
name is on the manifest, you are good to go.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

ccc December 4th, 2005 01:46 AM

are paper tickets necessary?

Thanks everybody. I thought it would not be a problem, but nice to
have your confirmation.
Cheers
Kipling

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 01:19:35 GMT, Capt Mary Kidd
wrote:

The message
from ccc qqqqq@jjjj contains these words:

Has anyone had experience of this?

Yup, all I had was the booking ref number. No problem, don't worry,
nothing else is necessary; you have proved you are on their manifest as
have input all the paper work online. Go and enjoy:)

gwm215 gwm215 December 4th, 2005 04:51 AM

are paper tickets necessary?

Interesting question [but not for the reason originally asked]!

Many years ago I flew to Barbados to re-board a cruise ship [it was a
world cruise -- originally sailing from NYC -- and I had to return home
for a few weeks during the period of the voyage ... and then re-join the
vessel and my cabin -- and my clothing that I left aboard -- in
Barbados].

I arrived in Barbados from NYC via a one-way air ticket [the ship was
going back to NYC] ... and had my cruise ship room key [no ticket as I
was re-boarding and theoretically in-transit] ... and discovered that I
was not allowed into Barbados without proof of a departure ticket.

After much arguing, and showing my credit cards, it was permitted by the
Barbadian authorities that I be escorted through immigration/customs to
the departure area ... where I had to purchase an actual one-way air
ticket to NYC and immediately show it to the accompanying
immigration/customs people .., who then let me officially enter ... and
I subsequently turned around at the airline counter to redeem the air
ticket.

Ergo: Be careful if you try to enter any foreign country without proof
of departure (e.g., a cruise ticket or proof thereof, an airline ticket
or proof thereof).

There is no intelligent answer to bureaucracy [but I do understand that
Barbados just wanted to ensure that anyone arriving would be leaving]!