TravelBanter

-   Africa (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   digital camera in Ghana? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=41848)

lesshaste September 11th, 2004 08:11 PM

digital camera in Ghana?

I am about to go to Ghana for three months and would like to take my
(relatively cheap) digital camera with me. As I won't have a computer,
will there be any way to upload my photos while I am there? Do cyber
cafes provide this service for example? Otherwise I would have to buy
new flash cards I suppose which could work out very expensive.

Cheers,
Raphael

Dave & Sara Emmert September 11th, 2004 11:53 PM

You might want to take a USB flash card reader with you. That way if they
are running Win98SE or greater, you should be able to "plug-n-play" to
upload the photos at the cafe.

It was just a thought,

Dave

"lesshaste" wrote in message
I am about to go to Ghana for three months and would like to take my
(relatively cheap) digital camera with me. As I won't have a computer, will
there be any way to upload my photos while I am there? Do cyber cafes
provide this service for example? Otherwise I would have to buy new flash
cards I suppose which could work out very expensive.

Cheers,
Raphael

Michael Kilpatrick September 12th, 2004 02:33 AM

Hello Raphael

I don't know how much research you have done - you might have already
considered and rejected what I'm going to suggest.

For what it's worth, for a long trip where you are likely to take a lot of
photos, I think the best solution is to take a portable storage device of
some kind.

They usually come with a rechargeable battery that allows you to transfer
large numbers of images without mains power (although you obviously have to
recharge the battery regularly).

There are models that have a laptop hard-drive of any size you choose, or
that will burn a cd for you.

I used an X's Drive Pro on a recent trip to South Africa. Mine has a 30 GB
hard drive, of which I used about 22 GB for just under 3000 shots.

There are new, faster, cheaper models being released regularly.

I have never tried to upload shots via an internet cafe, but I would be
surprised they have the bandwidth to allow you to upload large numbers of
Megabyte sized files (but I could be wrong about this). If I am wrong you
could still upload your shots from your portable storage, as they mostly
connect to a pc in the same way a card reader does.

As you say, carrying a lot of flash cards is not a viable way of doing it.

Cheers

Michael

[...]

Miguel Cruz September 12th, 2004 02:46 AM

lesshaste wrote:
I am about to go to Ghana for three months and would like to take my
(relatively cheap) digital camera with me. As I won't have a computer,
will there be any way to upload my photos while I am there? Do cyber
cafes provide this service for example? Otherwise I would have to buy
new flash cards I suppose which could work out very expensive.

I think you'll have better luck in Ghana burning them onto CDs than
uploading them - the speed at the internet cafes isn't usually all that
great.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 30 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

SlappHappy September 12th, 2004 06:55 AM

On 2004-09-11 20:11:40 +0100, lesshaste said:

I am about to go to Ghana for three months and would like to take my
(relatively cheap) digital camera with me. As I won't have a computer,
will there be any way to upload my photos while I am there? Do cyber
cafes provide this service for example? Otherwise I would have to buy
new flash cards I suppose which could work out very expensive.

Cheers,
Raphael

To be perfectly honest I would say ditch your digital camera, get a
good analogue one, buy film in Ghana (which I did), and have the
pictures (film) developed onto CD either in Accra or when you return
back to your native country.

I've given up on digital cameras, they suck...Ghana and its people are
far too beautiful to digitise with a low-medium mega-pixel camera.

Enjoy it...Ghana is stunning!

SlappHappy September 12th, 2004 07:11 AM

On 2004-09-11 20:11:40 +0100, lesshaste said:

I am about to go to Ghana for three months and would like to take my
(relatively cheap) digital camera with me. As I won't have a computer,
will there be any way to upload my photos while I am there? Do cyber
cafes provide this service for example? Otherwise I would have to buy
new flash cards I suppose which could work out very expensive.

Cheers,
Raphael

If you are decided 100% on using digital, I will add that my favourite
digital storage solution when travelling is my trusty Apple iPod. This
gives me all the music I want and Gb's of storage space for uploading
pictures - Just plug you camera in to the iPod which it will recognise
and prompt for you to upload. If you combine the iPod with a Griffin
iTalk http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro.../techspecs.php you
can record music/kids singing/talking, ambient sounds and conversations
(especially useful for playing back directions and making/listening to
mental notes). I captured some wonderful settings with my cameras and
iPod and it is nice when you get back home to play a relevant
soundtrack along with your slide-show.

Regards,

grant kinsley September 13th, 2004 12:07 AM

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 07:11:45 +0100, SlappHappy

On 2004-09-11 20:11:40 +0100, lesshaste said:

[...]

[piggybacking]

I use a flashtrax myself, it holds 20/40/80 Gb depending on drive
size, has a 3 inch TFT screen for reviewing, and will download 6 Gb
from CF cards (or others with adapter) on 1 charge. It comes with a
110-250 converter, so you only need plug end adapters, and you can
also get car cig lighter power cord for it as well. It's also an MP3
player and MPG player if you like and can store and view pics in JPG
or most RAW formats.

It weighs 12 oz and is about the size of large wallet.

I wouldn't travel without mine, I took 1500 shots in Greece in 2 weeks
and barely dented the 40G memory on mine, and I take 6.3 MP RAW files.

Grant Kinsley

Carsexporter September 13th, 2004 05:32 PM

We export high quality used cars and trucks from Germany. All Left hand
drives.

We export BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Porsche, Mitsubishi, Honda, Volvo, Toyota,
Peugeot, Renault, Citroen, Volkswagen, Isuzu, Huyndai etc.

Please call or tell us if you have any questions. If you dont find the product
you need, just contact us so we can find it for you.
Agents wanted.
Please visit our website. www.shopeuro.biz

lesshaste September 17th, 2004 04:04 PM

On 2004-09-11 20:11:40 +0100, lesshaste said:

I am about to go to Ghana for three months and would like to take my
(relatively cheap) digital camera with me. As I won't have a computer,
will there be any way to upload my photos while I am there? Do cyber
cafes provide this service for example? Otherwise I would have to buy
new flash cards I suppose which could work out very expensive.

Cheers,
Raphael

To be perfectly honest I would say ditch your digital camera, get a good
analogue one, buy film in Ghana (which I did), and have the pictures
(film) developed onto CD either in Accra or when you return back to your
native country.

I've given up on digital cameras, they suck...Ghana and its people are
far too beautiful to digitise with a low-medium mega-pixel camera.

Enjoy it...Ghana is stunning!

Hi,

Could you tell me where in Accra you can have normal film developed onto
CD please?

Cheers,
Raphael