TravelBanter

-   Cruises (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   San Francisco Port (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=39963)

Grant Hyde August 24th, 2004 03:27 AM

San Francisco Port

AtWe are sailing on the Diamond Princess repositioning cruise on 9/20/04.
One of the ports of call is San Francisco. Will the ship be passing under
the Golden Gate Bridge to get to the dock? Thanks, Grant

Jim August 24th, 2004 04:08 AM

Only way to get there...and quite an impressive sight!

Jim

"Grant Hyde" wrote in message
AtWe are sailing on the Diamond Princess repositioning cruise on 9/20/04.
One of the ports of call is San Francisco. Will the ship be passing under
the Golden Gate Bridge to get to the dock? Thanks, Grant

Mark K - SF August 24th, 2004 04:17 AM

Yes. ...and you might even see it as you pass under it.

- You might be coming in very early (assume at least 3 hours before the
times listed for debarkation)

- It could very well be fogbound. I recall on a cruise from SF a couple of
years ago, the weather was bright and sunny while we were docked at Pier 35,
but within 15 minutes after departure, we hit a fog bank in the bay. What
had been a big festive party on the deck promptly fled below for the warmth
of the inside lounges. One hearty soul, who remembered coming back from the
service under the Golden Gate Bridge and was not going to miss the
experience. As he shivered on deck, he was talking on the cell phone to his
wife saying "Honey, we're going under the bridge now -- I think!!!"

Seriously, it's a glorious experience. Enjoy SF!

Mark

"Grant Hyde" wrote in message
AtWe are sailing on the Diamond Princess repositioning cruise on 9/20/04.
One of the ports of call is San Francisco. Will the ship be passing under
the Golden Gate Bridge to get to the dock? Thanks, Grant

PJL August 24th, 2004 07:08 AM

"Grant Hyde" wrote in message news:zIxWc.130368$sh.79004@fed1read06...
AtWe are sailing on the Diamond Princess repositioning cruise on 9/20/04.
One of the ports of call is San Francisco. Will the ship be passing under
the Golden Gate Bridge to get to the dock? Thanks, Grant

Yes, the ship will be passing under the bridge and headed to pier 35
near the intersection of Bay and the Embarcadero. This is about 6
tenths of a mile east of Fishermans Wharf

PJL August 24th, 2004 07:08 AM

[...]

Don & Lynn August 24th, 2004 01:15 PM

Yes, but very early in the morning. We will be with you. She should dock
near pier 39, which is a great place to visit. I hope we have a great
cruise.
Don

"Grant Hyde" wrote in message
AtWe are sailing on the Diamond Princess repositioning cruise on 9/20/04.
One of the ports of call is San Francisco. Will the ship be passing under
the Golden Gate Bridge to get to the dock? Thanks, Grant

jcoulter August 24th, 2004 01:58 PM

"Don & Lynn" wrote in
:

"Grant Hyde" wrote in message
AtWe are sailing on the Diamond Princess repositioning cruise on
9/20/04. One of the ports of call is San Francisco. Will the ship be
passing under the Golden Gate Bridge to get to the dock? Thanks,
Grant

This bridge is just badly placed IMHO sun is always on the wrong side.
coming in in the mrning tcity side gets the light, going out at evening one
must look backwards for the best photo op. that's nature for you always
making things complicated. But the bridge is awesome. Say hello to the sea
lions at Fishermans' warf.