TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Auto Rental in Paris (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=58224)

January 31st, 2005 11:18 PM

Auto Rental in Paris

Any recommendations for renting an automobile at Charles de Gaulle airport
in Paris? We will be driving from Paris to Le Mont Saint Michel and back.
Any suggestions about rental company, automobile size, gas vs diesel, etc.
would be appreciated.

Douglas W. Hoyt January 31st, 2005 11:36 PM

Any suggestions about rental company, automobile size, gas vs diesel,
etc. would be appreciated.

If it were me, and it sometimes is, I would go to www.autoeurope.com and see
what their rates are for what size car--they use major companies, and in my
experience, the majors all have pretty standard standards. If you wonder
more about what size car is right for you, look more closely at the specs
for each one, or even go to major standard standard rental outfit like
www.avis.com and look at their specs for the different car categories in
France (by digging into the 'fleet' information). Gas vs. diesel is no
big concern.

If you want to compare Autoeurope's rates to other sourcess (and
Autoeurope's quoted prices will vary depending upon what country you specify
as your country of residence), check at a couple of the major companies, or
try a comparative search at websites like www.opodo.fr or www.avigo.de

Roger \(B\) February 1st, 2005 12:43 AM

"Douglas W. Hoyt" wrote:
If it were me, and it sometimes is, I would go to www.autoeurope.com and
see what their rates are for what size car--they use major companies,
... If you want to compare Autoeurope's rates to other sourcess
(and Autoeurope's quoted prices will vary depending upon what country
you specify as your country of residence), check at a couple of the major
companies, or try a comparative search at websites like www.opodo.fr
or www.avigo.de

I dunno if there's a Thrifty agency there, but it appears that they're
running some promo at this time that undercut my AutoEurope rate by
about 50%, at least for my rental in Florence. http://www.thrifty.com/
[R]

jcoulter February 1st, 2005 12:49 AM

"Roger \(B\)" wrote in
:

"Douglas W. Hoyt" wrote:
If it were me, and it sometimes is, I would go to www.autoeurope.com
and see what their rates are for what size car--they use major
companies, ... If you want to compare Autoeurope's rates to other
sourcess
(and Autoeurope's quoted prices will vary depending upon what
country
you specify as your country of residence), check at a couple of the
major companies, or try a comparative search at websites like
www.opodo.fr or www.avigo.de

I dunno if there's a Thrifty agency there, but it appears that they're
running some promo at this time that undercut my AutoEurope rate by
about 50%, at least for my rental in Florence.
http://www.thrifty.com/ [R]

Auto europe always plays by the rules and includes all the required
"extras" like VAT the US players routinely treat these items as somehow
discretionary until one goes to the o****er. Be sure that all taxes and
fees are quoted as well as insurance in Italy, they will not let you take
the car without the full load of goodies. Beware of big discount quotes.

Roger \(B\) February 1st, 2005 01:15 AM

"jcoulter" wrote...
Auto Europe always plays by the rules and includes all the required
"extras" like VAT the US players routinely treat these items as
somehow discretionary until one goes to the counter. Be sure that
all taxes and fees are quoted as well as insurance in Italy, they will
not let you take the car without the full load of goodies. Beware of
big discount quotes.

Here's my quote for a 2-day rental of a Fiat Punto in Florence
from Thrifty...
Base Rate (2 days @18,00E/day) $36,00E
Physical Damage Waiver (11,36/day) 22,72
Road Tax 2,90
Theft Protection (11,36/day) 22,72
Value Added Tax (20%) 16,87
Estimated Grand Total: $101,21E
Granted, a Punto may not be much of a car, but if its got a
motor and 4 wheels, it'll do for us. See any problems? [Roger]

Frank Clarke February 1st, 2005 01:21 AM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:18:11 -0500, wrote:

Any recommendations for renting an automobile at Charles de Gaulle airport
in Paris? We will be driving from Paris to Le Mont Saint Michel and back.
Any suggestions about rental company, automobile size, gas vs diesel, etc.
would be appreciated.

I always found Hertz' rates to be pretty good. If your employer has a preferred
provider for such things it can get better.

(change Arabic number to Roman numeral to email)

jcoulter February 1st, 2005 01:38 AM

"Roger \(B\)" wrote in news:jGALd.8572
:

"jcoulter" wrote...
Auto Europe always plays by the rules and includes all the required
"extras" like VAT the US players routinely treat these items as
somehow discretionary until one goes to the counter. Be sure that
all taxes and fees are quoted as well as insurance in Italy, they will
not let you take the car without the full load of goodies. Beware of
big discount quotes.

Here's my quote for a 2-day rental of a Fiat Punto in Florence
from Thrifty...
Base Rate (2 days @18,00E/day) $36,00E
Physical Damage Waiver (11,36/day) 22,72
Road Tax 2,90
Theft Protection (11,36/day) 22,72
Value Added Tax (20%) 16,87
Estimated Grand Total: $101,21E
Granted, a Punto may not be much of a car, but if its got a
motor and 4 wheels, it'll do for us. See any problems? [Roger]

Part of the problem with AutoEurope on your particular rental is the three
day minimum for AE. Your quote looks good and inclusive of what you need
other than more horsepower for the hills and highways. I wouldn't rent less
than a Bravo myself.

JuanElorza February 1st, 2005 06:08 AM

a écrit :
Any recommendations for renting an automobile at Charles de Gaulle airport
in Paris? We will be driving from Paris to Le Mont Saint Michel and back.
Any suggestions about rental company, automobile size, gas vs diesel, etc.
would be appreciated.

beware of manual gears.
From yellow pages
http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/pj.cgi (Roissy en France)
(many more)
https://www.europcar.fr/tools/frames...R&HEADER=FALSE
http://www.renault-rent.com/location...ehicule=1&lg=2
http://www.citer.fr/
http://www.avis.fr/avisonline/fr/avis.nsf/fTopFramesets/3694BA72C15BD26241256928004E427C!opendocument&~Def ault&_S1_9F528F1586858C5AC1256927004A99C7_3694BA72 C15BD26241256928004E427C_N3&BODYPARAMS=*Country=FR 0*Country2=FR0*ETA=03feb05/0900*ETT=05feb05/0900*MST=*WIZ=*CHKNAME=*STA=CDG*ILC=CDG
http://www.budget.fr/
http://www.citer.fr/
Inside Paris, but cheaper :
http://www.ucar-location.com/offres.asp

Mark Hewitt February 1st, 2005 08:42 AM

"jcoulter" wrote in message

Here's my quote for a 2-day rental of a Fiat Punto in Florence
from Thrifty...
Base Rate (2 days @18,00E/day) $36,00E
Physical Damage Waiver (11,36/day) 22,72
Road Tax 2,90
Theft Protection (11,36/day) 22,72
Value Added Tax (20%) 16,87
Estimated Grand Total: $101,21E
Granted, a Punto may not be much of a car, but if its got a
motor and 4 wheels, it'll do for us. See any problems? [Roger]

the problem with AutoEurope on your particular rental is the three
day minimum for AE. Your quote looks good and inclusive of what you need
other than more horsepower for the hills and highways. I wouldn't rent
less
than a Bravo myself.

Depends what size engine is in the car.. does it say? If it's at least a 1.2
then there won't be a problem. Sure you might have to change down a gear to
climb a hill but that's all part of driving.

"JuanElorza" wrote in message
a écrit :
Any recommendations for renting an automobile at Charles de Gaulle
airport in Paris? We will be driving from Paris to Le Mont Saint Michel
and back. Any suggestions about rental company, automobile size, gas vs
diesel, etc. would be appreciated.

beware of manual gears.

Why? My car has manual gears, should I beware of it?