TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What kind of game is Orbitz playing? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=172151)

stonej April 16th, 2011 12:13 AM

What kind of game is Orbitz playing?

I'm searching for a round trip flight to Washington DC on certain
dates, the other search engines are showing the
same fare on this certain airline but Orbitz has the same flight on
the same airline for $200+ more than the others.

It looks to me like they have a contract to promote another airlines
flights and are making up a higher fare on
others to drive business one way.

tim.... April 16th, 2011 01:45 PM

"stonej" wrote in message
I'm searching for a round trip flight to Washington DC on certain
dates, the other search engines are showing the
same fare on this certain airline but Orbitz has the same flight on
the same airline for $200+ more than the others.

It looks to me like they have a contract to promote another airlines
flights and are making up a higher fare on
others to drive business one way.

ISTM that they don't provide you with the best prices and the solution is to
use another search engine.

tim

Graham Harrison[_3_] April 17th, 2011 07:46 PM

"tim...." wrote in message

"stonej" wrote in message
I'm searching for a round trip flight to Washington DC on certain
dates, the other search engines are showing the
same fare on this certain airline but Orbitz has the same flight on
the same airline for $200+ more than the others.

It looks to me like they have a contract to promote another airlines
flights and are making up a higher fare on
others to drive business one way.

ISTM that they don't provide you with the best prices and the solution is
to use another search engine.

tim

I'd agree but, in an attempt to explain what's going on I would tell you
that airlines do deals with some (but by no means all) travel agencies. So
it may be your airline doesn't choose to offer Orbitz the best deal.

Dorothy456 April 20th, 2011 11:23 AM

wHAT aRE yOU tALKING aBOUT . aRE yOU TALKING aBOUT aIRLAIN tICKET oR game is Orbitz playing ?

harryoung April 22nd, 2011 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonej (Post 1023331)
I'm searching for a round trip flight to Washington DC on certain
dates, the other search engines are showing the
same fare on this certain airline but Orbitz has the same flight on
the same airline for $200+ more than the others.

It looks to me like they have a contract to promote another airlines
flights and are making up a higher fare on
others to drive business one way.

It is not like that you always get the best deal from a particular site. You have to research and do comparative analysis and finally select the suitable deal that best fits your schedule and budget. You can try with various other sites like Expedia and many more.