TravelBanter

-   Asia (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Europe to Asia - overland - trans siberia (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=5532)

Natalie December 23rd, 2003 10:44 AM

Europe to Asia - overland - trans siberia

Hi All

Inspired by who knows what, ive recently decided that id like to
travel home (to Australia) via russia, china. I would be looking at
about sept next yr and have a load of questions.
Firstly can anyone recommend any good links about the trans siberian
and overland travel from europe?
How safe is it for a single female to travel from eastern europe to
russia and then via trans siberian to china?
I would love to hear any stories of stops in europe and asia, and what
recommendations/warnings you have.

thanks for any help

Nat

Rupert Fiennes December 23rd, 2003 10:31 PM

Europe to Asia - overland - trans siberia

Nat

Inspired by who knows what, ive recently decided that id like to
travel home (to Australia) via russia, china. I would be looking at
about sept next yr and have a load of questions.
Firstly can anyone recommend any good links about the trans siberian
and overland travel from europe?

my travelogue
=============
www.itmw.com

commercial
==========
http://www.trans-siberian.co.uk (very expensive)
http://www.statravel.co.uk/c_overland/asia_BUS.asp (much cheaper)
http://nordictravel.ru/page/trains7.html (found via google,no
reccomendation)
http://www.monkeyshrine.com (only China - Russia; prices vastly less)

How safe is it for a single female to travel from eastern europe to
russia and then via trans siberian to china?

fairly safe; just watch your step on the train

I would love to hear any stories of stops in europe and asia, and what
recommendations/warnings you have.

I would normally always reccomend going from China - Russia because it
is so much cheaper!

Rupert

ExpatNL December 25th, 2003 09:19 AM

Europe to Asia - overland - trans siberia

"Rupert Fiennes" wrote in message
.. .

Nat

[...]

how much cheaper? half the price or less? and i heard the chinese train is
better too.
we are also planning to make this trip in a very near future going with the
train all the way from here [western europe] instead of flying into moscow.
before going home we'll be flying to tibet from shanghai but have no idea
what happens from here on.

Jacuo December 25th, 2003 04:59 PM

Europe to Asia - overland - trans siberia

If you want to travel cheap - don`t use international trains on long
distances, use local trains and cross borders by yourself.
For exaple :
border of Poland ( walk) - train to Warsaw - train to Terespol - train
Terespol - Brest ( border with Belarus, you can`t walk, you can tak taxi to
border and catch any car for 1-2 $ )-train toMoscow - train to border with
China or with Mongolia .....
Timetable for railways in CIS http://www.poezda.net/en/

--
Jacek

Mateusz Krzyzosiak December 26th, 2003 08:15 PM

Natalie wrote:

How safe is it for a single female to travel from eastern europe to
russia and then via trans siberian to china?
I would love to hear any stories of stops in europe and asia, and what
recommendations/warnings you have.

I recommend not to take direct trains from Moscow to Beijing. Instead
you can take a russian domestic long-distance train running to the
Chinese border (first to Chita, then to Zabaikalsk if you are not going
through Mongolia). It is USD 100/55 for solf/hard sleeper to Chita and
it is certainly more interesting as there are mostly Russians (or other
Russian nations) on the domestic trains.

I did the route a few times. Travelling by train in Russia is safe --
at least safer than here in Poland. It is easier if you speak some Russian.

All the best,
Mat

EAC December 27th, 2003 10:33 PM

(Natalie) wrote in message om...
How safe is it for a single female to travel from eastern europe to
russia and then via trans siberian to china?

A person shouldn't done a long travel alone, let alone a woman.

Spehro Pefhany December 27th, 2003 10:57 PM

Europe to Asia - overland - trans siberia

On 27 Dec 2003 14:33:04 -0800, the renowned
(EAC) wrote:

(Natalie) wrote in message om...
How safe is it for a single female to travel from eastern europe to
russia and then via trans siberian to china?

A person shouldn't done a long travel alone, let alone a woman.

Nonsense. Travelling alone is great- way more intense and less
compromises than travelling with others. Both are good, of course.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

fdsa fdsa March 27th, 2004 01:26 AM

Europe to Asia - overland - trans siberia

I'm planning on doing the same and bought the Lonely Planet Guide for it.
It's pretty good for prices, logistics, etc but is so popular that most
people will be doing the same thing, as usual. Definately think it is worth
reading if not taking with you. I'm taking mine as I want to make serveral
stops on the way. Cheers, Rufus