TravelBanter

-   Africa (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hotels in SA (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=150001)

tim..... February 21st, 2009 10:05 PM

Hotels in SA

If I were to do a "road trip" around SA in March, could I expect to just
turn up in a middle sized provincial town (or even a provinivial capital) in
the early evening and find a hotel room for say, under 800 Rand?

And are there road side motels like I would find in the US (and now more
common in Europe)

TIA

tim

tim..... February 25th, 2009 10:55 PM

Hotels in SA

"Marc Lurie" wrote in message
Yes you could. The holiday season sarts in early April, and it will be
more difficult then, but March shouldn't be a problem at all.

Thanks

One of the guide books says that it's hard (without pre-booking) for the
whole of the summer (October to April I think),

But I can't see how it can be, none of the Northern hemisphere visitors are
likely to target March and the locals are mostly going to be travelling
during the school holiday, which I made sure to miss

Many hotels and guesthouses charge a per person tarrif, while some
charge a fixed room rate.

There are numerous "Bed and Breakfasts" in virtually every town as
well. These offer from basic accommodation to luxury accomodation.
I've never had too much of a problem finding accomodation wherever
I've been. Prices range from around R350 and up.

I eventually found this:

http://www.aatravel.co.za/

300 pp or 400 sgl looks to be a normal rate.

Larger towns and cities will have a range of accomodation available
and there will almost always be somewhere to stay.

Large town hotels are outside my friend's price range (He's trying to
pretend that B&Bs are outside his price range!).

And it doesn't matter which route you take there are long distances where
there are no large towns to stop at

There are motels as well.

OK that's good to hear

thanks

tim

Marc Lurie[_2_] March 3rd, 2009 07:45 PM

Hotels in SA

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 22:55:46 -0000, "tim....."
wrote:

Thanks

One of the guide books says that it's hard (without pre-booking) for the
whole of the summer (October to April I think),

That may be true for the major hotel groups such as Southern Sun,
Holiday Inn, City Lodge etc. but I've never had a problem finding
accommodation somewhere.

But I can't see how it can be, none of the Northern hemisphere visitors are
likely to target March and the locals are mostly going to be travelling
during the school holiday, which I made sure to miss

Correct.

http://www.aatravel.co.za/

300 pp or 400 sgl looks to be a normal rate.

It depends where you are looking. I just spent a weekend in Rustenburg
(near Sun City) and I found perfectly acceptable accommodation at R350
for the room per night, for two of us.

Larger towns and cities will have a range of accomodation available
and there will almost always be somewhere to stay.

Large town hotels are outside my friend's price range (He's trying to
pretend that B&Bs are outside his price range!).

And it doesn't matter which route you take there are long distances where
there are no large towns to stop at

Large towns tend to be spaced roughly 100 to 300km apart. There is
ALWAYS accommodation somewhere. In my experience, there is always a
reasonably priced B+B in every small town or city.

edwins August 12th, 2009 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim..... (Post 953951)
If I were to do a "road trip" around SA in March, could I expect to just
turn up in a middle sized provincial town (or even a provinivial capital) in
the early evening and find a hotel room for say, under 800 Rand?

And are there road side motels like I would find in the US (and now more
common in Europe)

TIA

tim

Garonga Safari Camp (Makalali Conservancy , Limpopo Province, South Africa)

The perfect destination for honeymooners, Garonga Safari Camp offers 6 tented rooms and a suite. The tented rooms are situated on a dry river bed and each have their own deck with fantastic views. This is a an unhurried, intimate, quiet safari experience, but still luxurious. A highlight is the opportunity to camp out for the night on a deck accompanied by a gourmet picnic basket and hot drinks.

Rates start at USD 260 per person per night.