TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   BBC: Manchester Airport's body scanners scrapped (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=178039)

David Horne[_2_] September 17th, 2012 10:09 PM

BBC: Manchester Airport's body scanners scrapped

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-19620981

I certainly didn't mind them, but do remember at least one poster here
who objected to them. I suppose some people prefer being touched up...

David

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
"[Do you think the world learned anything from the first
world war?] No. They never learn." -Harry Patch (1898-2009)

Dan Stephenson September 18th, 2012 02:23 AM

BBC: Manchester Airport's body scanners scrapped

On 2012-09-17 16:09:01 -0500, David Horne said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-19620981

I certainly didn't mind them, but do remember at least one poster here
who objected to them. I suppose some people prefer being touched up...

David

I thought that since Britain was outside Schengen, it could do as it
liked wrt scanners.

I had heard Heathrow had scanners and refusing them meant not flying,
but that they are now gone too?

Has anyone out there flown from Paris/CDG to the USA recently, and can
say what security screenings they have?

--
Dan Stephenson
http://stepheda.com

tim..... September 18th, 2012 10:02 AM

On 2012-09-17 16:09:01 -0500, David Horne said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-19620981

I certainly didn't mind them, but do remember at least one poster here
who objected to them. I suppose some people prefer being touched up...

David

I thought that since Britain was outside Schengen, it could do as it liked
wrt scanners.

I had heard Heathrow had scanners and refusing them meant not flying,

Can't speak about at LHR, but whenever I have flown through an airport with
them, using them has always been optional

tim

David Horne[_2_] September 18th, 2012 10:52 AM

On 2012-09-17 16:09:01 -0500, David Horne said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-19620981

I certainly didn't mind them, but do remember at least one poster here
who objected to them. I suppose some people prefer being touched up...

David

I thought that since Britain was outside Schengen, it could do as it liked
wrt scanners.

I had heard Heathrow had scanners and refusing them meant not flying,

Can't speak about at LHR, but whenever I have flown through an airport with
them, using them has always been optional

They weren't optional at Manchester and I never noticed any fuss. Call
me strange, but I'd rather walk through a machine than be felt up by a
security guard.

David

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
"[Do you think the world learned anything from the first
world war?] No. They never learn." -Harry Patch (1898-2009)

Ken Blake[_2_] September 18th, 2012 03:58 PM

BBC: Manchester Airport's body scanners scrapped

On 2012-09-17 16:09:01 -0500, David Horne said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-19620981

I certainly didn't mind them, but do remember at least one poster here
who objected to them. I suppose some people prefer being touched up...

David

I thought that since Britain was outside Schengen, it could do as it liked
wrt scanners.

I had heard Heathrow had scanners and refusing them meant not flying,

Can't speak about at LHR, but whenever I have flown through an airport with
them, using them has always been optional

That's not my experience. I've always been told I had to go through
it. But I didn't mind.

--
Ken Blake

bill September 18th, 2012 05:32 PM

BBC: Manchester Airport's body scanners scrapped

On 2012-09-17 16:09:01 -0500, David Horne said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-19620981

I certainly didn't mind them, but do remember at least one poster here
who objected to them. I suppose some people prefer being touched up...

David

I thought that since Britain was outside Schengen, it could do as it liked
wrt scanners.

I had heard Heathrow had scanners and refusing them meant not flying,

Can't speak about at LHR, but whenever I have flown through an airport with
them, using them has always been optional

That's not my experience. I've always been told I had to go through
it. But I didn't mind.

That was certainly my experience at Manchester.

Runge 667 September 18th, 2012 08:53 PM

BBC: Manchester Airport's body scanners scrapped

Horne trying to attract martin--- bingo !

"David Horne" a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : ...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-19620981

I certainly didn't mind them, but do remember at least one poster here
who objected to them. I suppose some people prefer being touched up...

David

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
"[Do you think the world learned anything from the first
world war?] No. They never learn." -Harry Patch (1898-2009)

Runge 667 September 18th, 2012 08:54 PM

BBC: Manchester Airport's body scanners scrapped

being felt by martin is quite another experience.

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : ...
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:52:40 +0100,
(David Horne)

On 2012-09-17 16:09:01 -0500, David Horne said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-19620981

I certainly didn't mind them, but do remember at least one poster
here
who objected to them. I suppose some people prefer being touched
up...

David

I thought that since Britain was outside Schengen, it could do as it
liked
wrt scanners.

I had heard Heathrow had scanners and refusing them meant not flying,

Can't speak about at LHR, but whenever I have flown through an airport
with
them, using them has always been optional

They weren't optional at Manchester and I never noticed any fuss. Call
me strange, but I'd rather walk through a machine than be felt up by a
security guard.

or be in a plane that is blown to pieces mid Atlantic.
--

Martin

Runge 667 September 18th, 2012 08:54 PM

BBC: Manchester Airport's body scanners scrapped

hohoho you have woken martin the funnyman.

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : ...
On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 22:09:01 +0100,
(David Horne)
wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-19620981

I certainly didn't mind them, but do remember at least one poster here
who objected to them. I suppose some people prefer being touched up...

but does she like being touched up by the French?
--

Martin

Jake[_3_] October 2nd, 2012 10:57 PM

"David Horne" wrote in message
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-19620981

I certainly didn't mind them, but do remember at least one poster here
who objected to them. I suppose some people prefer being touched up...

David

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
"[Do you think the world learned anything from the first
world war?] No. They never learn." -Harry Patch (1898-2009)

Schiphol has a type of body scanner, like Manchester/Heathrow, you need to
assume the position and the machine rotates around you, however, it does not
show a 'naked' image like the Manchester/Heathrow scanners, it shows an
androgynous human image with a small yellow square on areas the system has
flagged up. Anyone can see this image, and I took a look myself as I was
passing through, every single one of the buttons on the nine pockets of my
jeans plus fly had set it off and I was duly called over to be wanded down
and my pockets searched.

Went through it only last week.