TravelBanter

-   Africa (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Travel Insurance (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=44614)

Polvere October 2nd, 2004 08:56 PM

Travel Insurance

Hello,

I always make a travel insurance when travelling in poor country, but this
time, reading the contract, some doubts arose about the sanitary
repatriation. The contract is not detailed about in which case you will be
repatriated, and the same speaking with the call center: "it depends in
the opinion of the local and our physician, or in case the desease con't
be treated, when there are no suitable health facilities". But, I think,
almost everywhere in the world you will find an hospital, so... you will
be never repatriated?

So... can you report any experiences of health troubles and what the
insurance did in that cases?

Thank you very much!
Davide

I. Wilson Gittleman, M.D. October 4th, 2004 08:13 AM

You picked the wrong company.

I have never seen one that required both the local physician and 'our'
physician.

Good companies, and there are many, will not demand treatment at a local
hospital if it is an area where that hospital is grossly inadequate.

"Iti is better to be vaguely right than precisely wrong.
--J. M. Keynes

Polvere October 4th, 2004 12:28 PM

Mon, 04 Oct 2004 00:13:32 -0700 I. Wilson Gittleman, M.D. wrote:

You picked the wrong company.

I have never seen one that required both the local physician and 'our'
physician.

Good companies, and there are many, will not demand treatment at a local
hospital if it is an area where that hospital is grossly inadequate.

I read a lot of contracts, and they report almost the same things
(i.e. Elvia and EuropAssistance).

Can you suggest another good company?

Bye
Davide

I. Wilson Gittleman, M.D. October 5th, 2004 07:29 AM

Travel Guard -- 800 8261300

One of the best is Berkeley; however I can't find their proper name or
telephone number; but it shouldn't be hard to find.