TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Paying Extra For Being Fat (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=140836)

Ablang June 29th, 2008 09:43 PM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

As summer vacations begin, some passengers on Southwest Airlines will
be pulled aside and, because of their weight, asked to buy a second
ticket. This controversial policy pits the commercial interests of the
airline against the dignity of overweight fliers and raises the issue
of whether anti-discrimination laws should be applied to obese people.
For Southwest, a plane ticket is like real estate: You get only the
space you pay for. (Passengers must buy an extra ticket if their girth
prevents them from lowering the armrest that divides the seats. If the
flight is not full, they qualify for a refund.) Southwest
representative Ashley Rogers says the airline instituted the policy
because of complaints from adjoining passengers. “We want to give
everybody the room they need,” she says. “People should be able to
breathe a little without their neighbor encroaching.” But in Canada, a
new government policy prevents airlines from charging extra for
passengers who are considered disabled by their obesity. The policy
will cost Air Canada $7.3 million a year. As our nation’s collective
girth increases, the debate about the rights of overweight people is
also playing out in the courts. A Michigan law protects overweight
people from job discrimination; Massachusetts is considering similar
legislation. And overweight people claim that a federal law preventing
airlines from discriminating against people with disabilities should
apply to them, too. So far, their lawsuits have been unsuccessful.
—Lori Andrews

http://www.parade.com/articles/editi...ligence_Report

DevilsPGD June 30th, 2008 04:37 AM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

In message

Ablang wrote:

Paying Extra For Being Fat
As summer vacations begin, some passengers on Southwest Airlines will
be pulled aside and, because of their weight, asked to buy a second
ticket. This controversial policy pits the commercial interests of the
airline against the dignity of overweight fliers and raises the issue
of whether anti-discrimination laws should be applied to obese people.

Isn't the problem the width, not weight?

DevilsPGD June 30th, 2008 10:33 PM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

In message Shawn
Hirn wrote:

In article ,
DevilsPGD wrote:

In message

Ablang wrote:

Paying Extra For Being Fat
As summer vacations begin, some passengers on Southwest Airlines will
be pulled aside and, because of their weight, asked to buy a second
ticket. This controversial policy pits the commercial interests of the
airline against the dignity of overweight fliers and raises the issue
of whether anti-discrimination laws should be applied to obese people.

Isn't the problem the width, not weight?

Wider people weigh more.

They might or might not. A 5'0 individual weighing 200 lbs will likely
be wider then a 6'0 individual weighing 250 lbs.

Both weight and width are potential issues, depending on whether you
care about fuel or passenger comfort.

mrtravel[_2_] July 1st, 2008 06:59 AM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article ,
DevilsPGD wrote:

In message

Ablang wrote:

Paying Extra For Being Fat
As summer vacations begin, some passengers on Southwest Airlines will
be pulled aside and, because of their weight, asked to buy a second
ticket. This controversial policy pits the commercial interests of the
airline against the dignity of overweight fliers and raises the issue
of whether anti-discrimination laws should be applied to obese people.

Isn't the problem the width, not weight?

Wider people weigh more.

So do tall people.

John Kulp July 1st, 2008 08:51 AM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 22:59:47 -0700, mrtravel wrote:

Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article ,
DevilsPGD wrote:

In message

Ablang wrote:

Paying Extra For Being Fat
As summer vacations begin, some passengers on Southwest Airlines will
be pulled aside and, because of their weight, asked to buy a second
ticket. This controversial policy pits the commercial interests of the
airline against the dignity of overweight fliers and raises the issue
of whether anti-discrimination laws should be applied to obese people.

Isn't the problem the width, not weight?

Wider people weigh more.

So do tall people.

Well, screw them too then. And charge the short ones more because
they are wasting space not filling up the seat. Or put two to a seat.
Or something

Shawn Hirn July 2nd, 2008 12:37 AM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

In article ,
mrtravel wrote:

Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article ,
DevilsPGD wrote:

In message

Ablang wrote:

Paying Extra For Being Fat
As summer vacations begin, some passengers on Southwest Airlines will
be pulled aside and, because of their weight, asked to buy a second
ticket. This controversial policy pits the commercial interests of the
airline against the dignity of overweight fliers and raises the issue
of whether anti-discrimination laws should be applied to obese people.

Isn't the problem the width, not weight?

Wider people weigh more.

So do tall people.

Not necessarily, but wider people can take up more than one seat due to
their expanded girth.

Brian[_1_] July 2nd, 2008 01:42 AM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 19:37:31 -0400, Shawn Hirn
wrote:

Not necessarily, but wider people can take up more than one seat due to
their expanded girth.

At the same BMI and the same % of body fat, the taller person will
weigh more.

mrtravel[_2_] July 2nd, 2008 06:55 AM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article ,
mrtravel wrote:

Shawn Hirn wrote:

In article ,
DevilsPGD wrote:

In message

Ablang wrote:

Paying Extra For Being Fat
As summer vacations begin, some passengers on Southwest Airlines will
be pulled aside and, because of their weight, asked to buy a second
ticket. This controversial policy pits the commercial interests of the
airline against the dignity of overweight fliers and raises the issue
of whether anti-discrimination laws should be applied to obese people.

Isn't the problem the width, not weight?

Wider people weigh more.

So do tall people.

Not necessarily, but wider people can take up more than one seat due to
their expanded girth.

So, what does this have to do with paying by weight?

mrtravel[_2_] July 2nd, 2008 06:56 AM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

Shawn Hirn wrote:

wrote:

Not necessarily, but wider people can take up more than one seat due to
their expanded girth.

At the same BMI and the same % of body fat, the taller person will
weigh more.

True, but the taller person won't encroach into an adjacent passenger's
seat.

Where will he put his elbows?

DevilsPGD July 2nd, 2008 08:05 AM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

In message mrtravel
wrote:

Shawn Hirn wrote:

wrote:

Not necessarily, but wider people can take up more than one seat due to
their expanded girth.

At the same BMI and the same % of body fat, the taller person will
weigh more.

True, but the taller person won't encroach into an adjacent passenger's
seat.

Where will he put his elbows?

The same place everyone else does?

Carol Eskra July 2nd, 2008 06:37 PM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

IMHO obese people should pay for two seats, and also be able to fit in
the lavatory.

When I worked for a major carrier we had an obese lady flying from west
coast to east. When nature called she was too big to fit thru the
lavatory door. She attempted to relieve herself in her seat in an
airsick bag. A f/a held up a blanket to try and give her some privacy.
Let
us just say the aircraft cleaners really earned their money!

Brian[_1_] July 2nd, 2008 10:52 PM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 06:26:11 -0400, Shawn Hirn
wrote:

Next to his body, same as anyone else. Your point though about charging
for weight makes sense.

And why is it fair to penalize someone for their height?

Either way, a taller passenger will pay more
than a shorter passenger of the same body mass.

bigsexy July 3rd, 2008 09:07 AM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

I also know a famous dating sites for big boob women, big booty and
big manful guys. It's seekingbbw.com and it's models on the hoem page
are very sexy!

mrtravel[_2_] July 3rd, 2008 09:18 AM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article ,
mrtravel wrote:

Shawn Hirn wrote:

wrote:

Not necessarily, but wider people can take up more than one seat due to
their expanded girth.

At the same BMI and the same % of body fat, the taller person will
weigh more.

True, but the taller person won't encroach into an adjacent passenger's
seat.

Where will he put his elbows?

Next to his body, same as anyone else. Your point though about charging
for weight makes sense. Either way, a taller passenger will pay more
than a shorter passenger of the same body mass.

What point did I make? I was suggesting it didn't make sense.

mrtravel[_2_] July 3rd, 2008 09:23 AM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

wrote:

Next to his body, same as anyone else. Your point though about charging
for weight makes sense.

And why is it fair to penalize someone for their height?

Not only that, Shawn quoted me and said "Your point".
I made no such point. I didn't say charging by weight was a good idea.

Stan de SD[_2_] July 5th, 2008 09:01 PM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

As summer vacations begin, some passengers on Southwest Airlines will
be pulled aside and, because of their weight, asked to buy a second
ticket. This controversial policy pits the commercial interests of the
airline against the dignity of overweight fliers

Let's make this clear - they aren't singling people out just because
they have a beer belly or a few love handles. They are referring to
the type of people who are GROSSLY OBESE and have their flab and fat
singificantly intruding into the adjacent seat, inhibiting the
airline's ability to sell the seat and generate revenue. I can assure
you that you have not been in airline hell until you have been wedged
in a middle seat next to two sweating, overweight porkers on an
international flight. As far as their "dignity" goes: I have been
overweight at times in my life, but when I got to the point where my
pants stopped fitting, I realized it was time to hit the gym, back off
the snacks, and lose a few pounds. Lardasses who aren't embarrassed
enough to do something about their weight even when they can't fit in
an airline seat have NO grounds to blame Southwest (or any other
carrier) when they stopped caring about their own dignity a long time
ago... :O|

[...]

http://www.parade.com/articles/editi...-29-2008/Intel...

cmdr buzz corey July 5th, 2008 10:51 PM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

On Jul 5, 2:01 pm, Stan de SD wrote:
As summer vacations begin, some passengers on Southwest Airlines will
be pulled aside and, because of their weight, asked to buy a second
ticket. This controversial policy pits the commercial interests of the
airline against the dignity of overweight fliers

Good for Southwest Airlines, now the other Airlines should do the
same.

Let's make this clear - they aren't singling people out just because
they have a beer belly or a few love handles. They are referring to
the type of people who are GROSSLY OBESE and have their flab and fat
singificantly intruding into the adjacent seat, inhibiting the
airline's ability to sell the seat and generate revenue. I can assure
you that you have not been in airline hell until you have been wedged
in a middle seat next to two sweating, overweight porkers on an
international flight.

Not to mention that they usually smell like they haven't bathed in
quite a while.

Jim Davis[_1_] July 6th, 2008 12:38 AM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

"cmdr buzz corey" wrote in message
On Jul 5, 2:01 pm, Stan de SD wrote:
As summer vacations begin, some passengers on Southwest Airlines will
be pulled aside and, because of their weight, asked to buy a second
ticket. This controversial policy pits the commercial interests of the
airline against the dignity of overweight fliers

Good for Southwest Airlines, now the other Airlines should do the
same.

What's the big deal all of a sudden? Southwest has had this policy for
years. It's nothing new.

Not to mention that they usually smell like they haven't bathed in
quite a while.

They're not the only ones. I've had quite a few skinny rails near me that
smelled awful.

Brian[_1_] July 6th, 2008 12:44 AM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 14:51:08 -0700 (PDT), cmdr buzz corey
wrote:

Not to mention that they usually smell like they haven't bathed in
quite a while.

It's not just those who are overweight who can have serious odor
problems.

Jim Davis[_1_] July 6th, 2008 01:02 AM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

wrote:

Not to mention that they usually smell like they haven't bathed in
quite a while.

It's not just those who are overweight who can have serious odor
problems.

Have you ever sat next to someone who just tried to cover it up? Perfume
and BO is not a pleasant mixture.

hc23hc July 6th, 2008 06:39 PM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

Rube Canoza unstable dwarf exuded foul odor :

I don't doubt the airlines would boot a passenger of any
size off a plane if the passenger stank. *Airlines already have booted
passengers for wearing clothing with offensive text on them, and the
text wasn't even what might have been deemed obscene. *Foul odor
shouldn't be a problem at all for them to exclude.

Were that the case, Rube, then neither your foul dwarfin self nor the
stale lardy oaf known as Stain de STD should expect to be flying
anywhere, anytime soon.

Except maybe into jail.

.
.
.

Stan de SD[_2_] July 6th, 2008 06:47 PM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

On Jul 6, 10:39*am, hc23hc wrote:
Rube Canoza unstable dwarf exuded foul odor :

I don't doubt the airlines would boot a passenger of any
size off a plane if the passenger stank. *Airlines already have booted
passengers for wearing clothing with offensive text on them, and the
text wasn't even what might have been deemed obscene. *Foul odor
shouldn't be a problem at all for them to exclude.

Were that the case, Rube, then neither your foul dwarfin self nor the
stale lardy oaf known as Stain de STD should expect to be flying
anywhere, anytime soon.

Except maybe into jail.

Somehow I figured that you would show up here with your usual
injection of bile, Slurry Mouth...

Brian[_1_] July 7th, 2008 12:09 AM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 19:02:48 -0500, "Jim Davis"
wrote:

Have you ever sat next to someone who just tried to cover it up? Perfume
and BO is not a pleasant mixture.

No it isn't.

Linda E Domoty July 7th, 2008 05:22 AM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

Paying Extra For Being Fat
As summer vacations begin, some passengers on Southwest Airlines will
be pulled aside and, because of their weight, asked to buy a second
ticket. This controversial policy pits the commercial interests of the
airline against the dignity of overweight fliers and raises the issue
of whether anti-discrimination laws should be applied to obese people.

I'm not a lawyer but as I understand it being extra large is not a
protected right under Federal Civil Rights laws in the USA.
IMHO if you overflow into my space on a plane then maybe one of us
should pay for two seats of space. What gives a large person right to
the space I paid for. If you need my space then pay for it.

..led

Bob Myers July 7th, 2008 09:24 AM

Paying Extra For Being Fat

"Linda E Domoty" wrote in message
I'm not a lawyer but as I understand it being extra large is not a
protected right under Federal Civil Rights laws in the USA.
IMHO if you overflow into my space on a plane then maybe one of us should
pay for two seats of space. What gives a large person right to the space
I paid for. If you need my space then pay for it.

What discussions like this always seem to ignore is
the fact that the airlines are NOT out to enforce anyone's
idea of what their "rights" are or what is "just" via their
pricing schemes. The bottom line is that they are always,
always going to try to set up their pricing to maximize
revenues/profits, just like any business. People can whine
all they want about what others "should" pay for, but it will
have exactly zero impact until and unless the business in question
- in this case, the airline industry - comes to believe that the
proposed change will have a net positive impact on their
bottom line. Which, you know, is exactly how it's supposed
to be.

Bob M.