TravelBanter

-   Asia (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Tokyo - ryokan in asakusa area (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=4465)

CT September 18th, 2003 05:09 AM

Tokyo - ryokan in asakusa area

My husband and I are going to Tokyo and thinking of staying in Shigetsu
ryokan in Asakusa (near Senso-ji shrine and Nakamise street)
Has anyone have any experience staying in the area ?
Is this a convenient/safe area ?

We are thinking of doing a day trip to Hakone, Mt Fuji, etc by train. Is
Asakusa a wise choice to stay to access the transport for our daytrip ?

Your comment/suggestion/travel story would be greatly appreciated.

CT

Gerry Scott-Moore September 18th, 2003 04:56 PM

Tokyo - ryokan in asakusa area

In article , CT
wrote:

My husband and I are going to Tokyo and thinking of staying in Shigetsu
ryokan in Asakusa (near Senso-ji shrine and Nakamise street)
Has anyone have any experience staying in the area ?

I've stayed there twice, and the only other local friends that have
been to Japan stayed there as well. We liked it a lot. Good food,
tatami rooms. Though it's not really a quaint and rustic setting, I
think it's a great place to stay in Tokyo at a great price.

Is this a convenient/safe area ?

Both. Besides which, I think the entire country is so much safer than
urban USA that you can call it all completely safe. It takes a while
to wrap your brain around a congested urban center that isn't filled
with potential predators.

We are thinking of doing a day trip to Hakone, Mt Fuji, etc by train. Is
Asakusa a wise choice to stay to access the transport for our daytrip ?

It's very convenient. You are steps from a subway line that can get
you to the station. It's about as convenient as you can ask for.

Your comment/suggestion/travel story would be greatly appreciated.

There is plenty to do and see within a gentle amble from Shigetsu.

--
///---

CT September 19th, 2003 02:45 PM

Tokyo - ryokan in asakusa area