TravelBanter

-   Australia & New Zealand (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Aus. Vodafone prepaid mobile -using it in NZ? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=7877)

Hallvard Tangeraas March 2nd, 2004 01:19 AM

Aus. Vodafone prepaid mobile -using it in NZ?

During my stay in Australia I bought a prepaid Vodafone SIM card for
use with my mobile phone. I was under the impression that Australia
and New Zealand had some sort of agreement so they could be used in
both countries "locally" (i.e. not roaming).
But it just doesn't work here at all, so for the time being I've just
installed my SIM card from home (Norway) so I can at least send TXT
messages back home, albeit at a high fee.

Is there some sort of activation available from Australia so I can use
the Vodafone card here? I have AU$ 9 left, which would let me write
quite a few text messages, and since I'll only be in this country for
4 weeks I don't think buying a NZ prepaid SIM package will be worth
it.

Hallvard

Kath March 2nd, 2004 07:20 PM

Aus. Vodafone prepaid mobile -using it in NZ?

I think you can activate your Aus sim to be international with a call to the
help line, but it will be roaming. At least it will allow you to use your
remaining credit. Otherwise the NZ sim packages are very reasonable.