TravelBanter

-   Africa (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Camera for Masai Mara Safari in Africa (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=154613)

pinklife June 16th, 2009 04:07 AM

Camera for Masai Mara Safari in Africa

Hi All-
I'm going on a 3-day safari in Masai Mara in Africa and looking to buy a new camera. Suggestions on which may be the most suitable for this trip? Currently, I am leaning toward the Canon SX1 is which has 20x zoom and can get me to 580mm. I like the idea that is less bulky than bringing multiple lenses with an SLR. I am a photo enthusiast, but not a professional photographer. Thoughts?? Thanks in advance!

Hans-Georg Michna June 16th, 2009 03:12 PM

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 04:07:20 +0100, pinklife wrote:

I'm going on a 3-day safari in Masai Mara in Africa and looking to buy
a new camera. Suggestions on which may be the most suitable for this
trip? Currently, I am leaning toward the Canon SX1 is which has 20x
zoom and can get me to 580mm. I like the idea that is less bulky than
bringing multiple lenses with an SLR. I am a photo enthusiast, but not
a professional photographer. Thoughts?? Thanks in advance!

I think you're on the right way. A long zoom is about the first
requirement I would have mentioned.

A 20x zoom is difficult to handle and most likely requires
something to lean the camera against, so test it thoroughly
before you go and take a bean bag along, so you can squeeze the
camera against it in the corner of an open car window.

If you are familiar with a polarizing filter, that may be the
only extra piece of equipment you need. If not, you might as
well forget about it, as it is somewhat difficult to understand
and use.

Hans-Georg

the_niner_nation September 12th, 2009 01:58 AM

"Hans-Georg Michna" wrote in message
[...]

i didnt realise you could put a filter on a point and shoot.

also, you might need some wide angle as landscapes are stunning in kenya.

personally i would go with an DSLR system, but dont make the mistake most
photographers make when they go on safari..

and thats to see africa through nothing but a viewfinder.

also, take LOTS and LOTS of memory cards and batteries..electricity is not
always available.

Hans-Georg Michna September 20th, 2009 12:53 PM

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 01:58:39 +0100, the_niner_nation wrote:

i didnt realise you could put a filter on a point and shoot.

Depends on what is meant by point-and-shoot. Quite a few compact
(i.e. non-SLR) cameras have a filter ring. Mine does.

also, you might need some wide angle as landscapes are stunning in kenya.

The super-zooms go a bit into wide angle, but for the rare
extreme wide-angle panorama I just take several photos side by
side and stitch them with one of the automatic stitcher
programs. This procedure also yields a higher resolution.

personally i would go with an DSLR system, but dont make the mistake most
photographers make when they go on safari..

and thats to see africa through nothing but a viewfinder.

My experience is that photographers see more, even if they spend
some time looking through the viewfinder. The opposite mistake
would be to see wonderful things, but not photograph at least
some of them. I've made that mistake in my early Africa days and
always regretted it. Hope I made up for it later.

also, take LOTS and LOTS of memory cards and batteries..electricity is not
always available.

Another alternative is to use an inverter on the car battery.
Depending on circumstances that can be a very good solution,
particularly if you drive and camp.

Hans-Georg