TravelBanter

-   Asia (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Singapore (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=5281)

Paul O November 23rd, 2003 02:29 AM

Singapore

Three days is more than enough.
The main activity for locals seems to be shopping.

Worth a visit:
Sentosa Island
Botanic gardens
Zoo
Bird Park
Duck Harbour Cruise
Asian History Museum (2 campuses)
Bugis Street

Shopping is not particularly cheap, neither are food and drink (from an
Australian perspective- probably different if you're coming from Europe).

Cheers

"Aly" wrote in message
om...
I am traveling through Singapore, with three friends in December and
shall be there for 10 days I was wondering if anyone could advise us
on good places to visit and go to during our stay.

Aly

Scott Howard November 23rd, 2003 09:11 AM

Singapore

Paul O wrote:
Shopping is not particularly cheap, neither are food and drink (from an
Australian perspective- probably different if you're coming from Europe).

A better way to describe the price of food would probably be "variable".

Whilst it's easy to spend $40-50 or more on a meal, it's also just as
easy to spend $4-5 (or less) on a good feed in one of the numerous hawker
venues around the place. If you get away from the busy areas it's even
possible to pay as little as $2-3 for a damn good meal.

Scott.

Miguel Cruz November 23rd, 2003 10:00 AM

Singapore

Scott Howard wrote:
Paul O wrote:
Shopping is not particularly cheap, neither are food and drink (from an
Australian perspective- probably different if you're coming from Europe).

A better way to describe the price of food would probably be "variable".

Whilst it's easy to spend $40-50 or more on a meal, it's also just as
easy to spend $4-5 (or less) on a good feed in one of the numerous hawker
venues around the place. If you get away from the busy areas it's even
possible to pay as little as $2-3 for a damn good meal.

I'm sure I've never spent more than S$5 on a meal there, and often much
less. By US standards that's quite cheap (S$5 = US$2.90). And I've never had
a bad meal in Singapore. Best breakfast in the history of the world is roti
pratha for S$0.70 (US$0.40) at the hawkers centre in Little India. So good
it makes my mouth water just thinking about it. So good I'd give up almost
all other foods just to be able to eat it every day.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/

ExpatNL November 23rd, 2003 02:49 PM

Singapore

"Paul O" wrote in message
u...
Three days is more than enough.
The main activity for locals seems to be shopping.

Worth a visit:
Sentosa Island
Botanic gardens
Zoo
Bird Park
Duck Harbour Cruise
Asian History Museum (2 campuses)
Bugis Street

Shopping is not particularly cheap, neither are food and drink (from an
Australian perspective- probably different if you're coming from Europe).

sentosa island? run away, don't walk, from this place!

here we go again with the singapore topic. and i still say this: avoid this
country if you can.

hh November 23rd, 2003 03:23 PM

Singapore

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:00:03 GMT, (Miguel Cruz) wrote:

I'm sure I've never spent more than S$5 on a meal there, and often much
less. By US standards that's quite cheap (S$5 = US$2.90). And I've never had
a bad meal in Singapore. Best breakfast in the history of the world is roti
pratha for S$0.70 (US$0.40) at the hawkers centre in Little India. So good
it makes my mouth water just thinking about it. So good I'd give up almost
all other foods just to be able to eat it every day.

eat that crap everyday?.....you are a SICK dude!

hh November 23rd, 2003 03:24 PM

Singapore

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 14:49:17 GMT, "ExpatNL"
wrote:

"Paul O" wrote in message
. au...
Three days is more than enough.
The main activity for locals seems to be shopping.

Worth a visit:
Sentosa Island
Botanic gardens
Zoo
Bird Park
Duck Harbour Cruise
Asian History Museum (2 campuses)
Bugis Street

Shopping is not particularly cheap, neither are food and drink (from an
Australian perspective- probably different if you're coming from Europe).

sentosa island? run away, don't walk, from this place!

here we go again with the singapore topic. and i still say this: avoid this
country if you can.

what? and miss seeing the famous public whipping held every friday at
the chani prison ????

Miguel Cruz November 23rd, 2003 07:07 PM

Singapore

hh hh wrote:
(Miguel Cruz) wrote:
Best breakfast in the history of the world is roti pratha for S$0.70
(US$0.40) at the hawkers centre in Little India. So good it makes my
mouth water just thinking about it. So good I'd give up almost all other
foods just to be able to eat it every day.

eat that crap everyday?.....you are a SICK dude!

If I call it roti canai will it become good?

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser:
http://travel.u.nu/

Markku Grönroos November 23rd, 2003 07:16 PM

Singapore

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
hh hh wrote:
(Miguel Cruz) wrote:
Best breakfast in the history of the world is roti pratha for S$0.70
(US$0.40) at the hawkers centre in Little India. So good it makes my
mouth water just thinking about it. So good I'd give up almost all

other
foods just to be able to eat it every day.

eat that crap everyday?.....you are a SICK dude!

If I call it roti canai will it become good?

Yes, especially while you are watching whippings of Bukit Street.

Alfred Molon November 23rd, 2003 07:19 PM

Singapore

In article ,
says...

what? and miss seeing the famous public whipping held every friday at
the chani prison ????

And that's the reason you live in Singapore ?
--

Alfred Molon

bob November 24th, 2003 02:35 AM

Singapore

"Miguel Cruz" wrote

best breakfast in the history of the world is roti
pratha for S$0.70 (US$0.40) at the hawkers centre in Little India. So good
it makes my mouth water just thinking about it. So good I'd give up almost
all other foods just to be able to eat it every day.

No, that's the 2nd best breakfast in the history of the world. The best is
the stall next door selling curried mutton with pratha. Mutton hits the
button, we like to say. And my mouth really is watering.

Bob

--
-----
Travel and Astronomy Photos