TravelBanter

-   Latin America (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Latin America Guide Reviews. I) Footprint Peru Handbook (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=49143)

Bart de Graaf November 11th, 2004 03:17 PM

Latin America Guide Reviews. I) Footprint Peru Handbook

Hi, My name is Bart de Graaf and I'll post some reviews for Latin
American Travel Guides that I hope you find useful/interesting. All
comments and feedback will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

I have lived in Peru for the last 7 years and am constantly looking
for accurate Travel Guides to recommend to the always demanding
clients of our Tour Operating company in South America and to steadily
improve our work on giving pertinent and useful info as well.

Footprint Peru Handbook is original in its kind as it focuses on
information and not storytelling. It has more up-to-date info on the
things you actually need in day-to-day travel, most of it presented in
a factual way rather than using endless pages of interesting but
not-really-necessary info.

From a tour operator point of view, I need to know as many facts as
possible in order to prepare, quote and carry out the tours we offer
to our public. The Handbook is a great source of information in this
area, as I don't have to read around the stories, but get the facts
presented in a direct way

Due to the inclusion of much better maps and a very serious work at
updating the info accurately, the latest edition is a big improvement,
and one of best single guides on Peru currently available.
If you decide to visit the awesome Manu Reserve in the Amazon Jungle,
fly over the mysterious Nazca lines, or If you hike the Inca Trail on
your way to Machu Picchu, this guide is a must as you'll find all the
data you need. As a matter of fact, if you decide you're going to
just Cusco, I'd advice to get this guide instead of a Cusco-only one.
You'll find all you need in Footprint Peru Handbook for sure.

Bart

FujiGirl November 11th, 2004 03:44 PM

i have FP and find it excellent too.

groetjes

Sander van Hulsenbeek November 13th, 2004 10:35 PM

I like the FP guides too.

Any FP guide to a South American country is a successor to the fabled, but I
presume discontinued,
South American Handbook. Which came out first some 70 years, or so, ago.

My first copy is from 1973, and served me well in Colombia. I still cherish
my 1979 copy, which served through great 6 months in that year.

No wonder the FP Guides are amongst the best there is.

Though, the Rough Guides are good too.
For Brazil this summer it was 'on the spot'!

Sander van Hulsenbeek
Amsterdam
Holland

"Bart de Graaf" wrote in message
om...
Hi, My name is Bart de Graaf and I'll post some reviews for Latin
American Travel Guides that I hope you find useful/interesting. All
comments and feedback will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

I have lived in Peru for the last 7 years and am constantly looking
for accurate Travel Guides to recommend to the always demanding
clients of our Tour Operating company in South America and to steadily
improve our work on giving pertinent and useful info as well.

Footprint Peru Handbook is original in its kind as it focuses on
information and not storytelling. It has more up-to-date info on the
things you actually need in day-to-day travel, most of it presented in
a factual way rather than using endless pages of interesting but
not-really-necessary info.

From a tour operator point of view, I need to know as many facts as
[...]

Johnny Storm November 15th, 2004 12:55 PM

I'm planing to travel throught Brasil, Bolivia and Argentina during
South America's summer for around 3 months or as long as money lasts,
whatever comes first! Any advice on what guide to get for a 3-4 months
visit?

(Bart de Graaf) wrote in message . com...
Hi, My name is Bart de Graaf and I'll post some reviews for Latin
American Travel Guides that I hope you find useful/interesting. All
comments and feedback will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

I have lived in Peru for the last 7 years and am constantly looking
for accurate Travel Guides to recommend to the always demanding
clients of our Tour Operating company in South America and to steadily
improve our work on giving pertinent and useful info as well.

Footprint Peru Handbook is original in its kind as it focuses on
information and not storytelling. It has more up-to-date info on the
things you actually need in day-to-day travel, most of it presented in
a factual way rather than using endless pages of interesting but
not-really-necessary info.

From a tour operator point of view, I need to know as many facts as
[...]

From a tour operator point of view, I need to know as many facts as
[...]

From a tour operator point of view, I need to know as many facts as
[...]

JBM November 22nd, 2004 08:38 AM

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Sander van Hulsenbeek wrote:

Any FP guide to a South American country is a successor to the fabled,
but I presume discontinued, South American Handbook. Which came out
first some 70 years, or so, ago.

I believe that the first edition of the Anglo-South American Handbook was
1924. But even that was the successor to earlier, country- or
region-specific, guides.

Sander van Hulsenbeek

Take care

Jon

--
Jon Beasley-Murray Latin American Studies
http://faculty.arts.ubc.ca/jbmurray/ University of British Columbia