TravelBanter

-   USA & Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Backpacking around L.A. (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=17175)

Miguel Cruz September 16th, 2003 06:58 AM

Backpacking around L.A.

Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:
I'm basically interested in knowing if there are cheap places to stay
(dorms or cheap single rooms)

This page lists about 20 hostels in and around LA:

http://www.hostels.com/en/us.ca.la.html

and if getting around with public transport will be a problem.

Transport is a little slow but you can do it.

I won't be having a car, so I'll be relying on busses etc -is this a
problem in LA? I have an impression that you just can't get around in
the States without a car -I hope I'm wrong.

LA is about the worst of the really major cities for transport. In some
(overwhelmingly in New York, but also Chicago, Boston, DC, San Francisco)
it's quite good.

In medium-sized cities bus service can be infrequent, to the point of being
very trying.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.