TravelBanter

-   Cruises (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Earliest Return Flight From FLL after RCL Cruise? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=173923)

[email protected][_1_] October 8th, 2011 04:41 PM

Earliest Return Flight From FLL after RCL Cruise?

Hi all

I am sure this question has been asked, but I am going to ask again.

I am looking at flight out of FLL on Saturday May 5, 2012. My best
price is for a flight at 11:45am. Is this doable? Also any tricks for
getting off the ship earlier than others?

Thanks
Michael

Chrissy Cruiser[_3_] October 8th, 2011 05:22 PM

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 08:41:25 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I am looking at flight out of FLL on Saturday May 5, 2012. My best
price is for a flight at 11:45am. Is this doable? Also any tricks for
getting off the ship earlier than others?

What is the cost to you in terms of money, time, etc? If you miss your
flight, and there is certainly a chance of that.

Jean O'Boyle[_3_] October 8th, 2011 06:07 PM

wrote in message
Hi all

I am sure this question has been asked, but I am going to ask again.

I am looking at flight out of FLL on Saturday May 5, 2012. My best
price is for a flight at 11:45am. Is this doable? Also any tricks for
getting off the ship earlier than others?

Thanks
Michael

It's a bit risky, but I have booked 12:30 and 1:00pm flights and gotten to
the airport between 10:30 and 11. The way to get off the ship the earliest
is if you take all your baggage off with you instead of putting it outside
your cabin the night before. Then you can just walk off the ship as soon as
it has cleared. The port is not very far from the airport in Ft. Lauderdale.
Is the amount that you are saving in airfare worth the anxiety? Only you can
determine that. Good Luck!

--Jean

[email protected][_1_] October 8th, 2011 06:53 PM

On Oct 8, 9:41*am, " wrote:
Hi all

I am sure this question has been asked, but I am going to ask again.

I am looking at flight out of FLL on Saturday May 5, 2012. My best
price is for a flight at 11:45am. Is this doable? Also any tricks for
getting off the ship earlier than others?

Thanks
Michael

It would cost me $200 more for a later departure or would require to
spend another night in Fort Lauderdale and then the I would pay
another $100 for the airfare.

Michael

Chrissy Cruiser[_3_] October 8th, 2011 08:45 PM

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 10:53:29 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Oct 8, 9:41*am, " wrote:
Hi all

I am sure this question has been asked, but I am going to ask again.

I am looking at flight out of FLL on Saturday May 5, 2012. My best
price is for a flight at 11:45am. Is this doable? Also any tricks for
getting off the ship earlier than others?

Thanks
Michael

It would cost me $200 more for a later departure or would require to
spend another night in Fort Lauderdale and then the I would pay
another $100 for the airfare.

Michael

Then you have the parameters of your risk excepting that there might not
be a return flight available at a time you can make. Add in a possible
hotel room stayover.

Tom K October 8th, 2011 10:58 PM

On 10/8/11 11:41 AM, wrote:
Hi all

I am sure this question has been asked, but I am going to ask again.

I am looking at flight out of FLL on Saturday May 5, 2012. My best
price is for a flight at 11:45am. Is this doable? Also any tricks for
getting off the ship earlier than others?

Thanks
Michael

It's more doable from FLL than from Miami, IMO.

Like Jean said, the people who are willing to schlepp their own luggage
off by themselves are the first allowed off the ship.

But also be aware of the ship. The larger the ship, the more
potentially problematic.

But I think it's doable. Just sign up to take your own luggage off the
ship.

--Tom

Janet Wilder October 9th, 2011 04:03 AM

On 10/8/2011 4:58 PM, Tom K wrote:
On 10/8/11 11:41 AM, wrote:
Hi all

I am sure this question has been asked, but I am going to ask again.

I am looking at flight out of FLL on Saturday May 5, 2012. My best
price is for a flight at 11:45am. Is this doable? Also any tricks for
getting off the ship earlier than others?

Thanks
Michael

It's more doable from FLL than from Miami, IMO.

Like Jean said, the people who are willing to schlepp their own luggage
off by themselves are the first allowed off the ship.

But also be aware of the ship. The larger the ship, the more potentially
problematic.

But I think it's doable. Just sign up to take your own luggage off the
ship.

....and get trip insurance just in case.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Bill[_1_] October 9th, 2011 04:36 AM

On 10/8/2011 11:03 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 10/8/2011 4:58 PM, Tom K wrote:
On 10/8/11 11:41 AM, wrote:
Hi all

I am sure this question has been asked, but I am going to ask again.

I am looking at flight out of FLL on Saturday May 5, 2012. My best
price is for a flight at 11:45am. Is this doable? Also any tricks for
getting off the ship earlier than others?

Thanks
Michael

It's more doable from FLL than from Miami, IMO.

Like Jean said, the people who are willing to schlepp their own luggage
off by themselves are the first allowed off the ship.

But also be aware of the ship. The larger the ship, the more potentially
problematic.

But I think it's doable. Just sign up to take your own luggage off the
ship.

...and get trip insurance just in case.

Will they cover it in that case? Especially if the cruise line suggests
booking something later?

Bill

Gerry[_2_] October 9th, 2011 05:45 AM

Earliest Return Flight From FLL after RCL Cruise?

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 12:07:42 -0500, "Jean O'Boyle"
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

Last December we took an NCLPanama Canal cruise from Miami to Los
Angeles. We had packed light and were walking off with all our luggage
so we expected to be off really early. However, it seemed as though
everybody else planned to do the same. Immigration and Customs
officials were on-board rather than in the port and at the end of an
incredibly long, slow line. It seemed as though this was a new
procedure for the ship's crew and it was not well organized. So, it
may take longer than you might expect.

[email protected][_1_] October 9th, 2011 05:33 PM

On Oct 8, 9:41*am, " wrote:
Hi all

I am sure this question has been asked, but I am going to ask again.

I am looking at flight out of FLL on Saturday May 5, 2012. My best
price is for a flight at 11:45am. Is this doable? Also any tricks for
getting off the ship earlier than others?

Thanks
Michael

Thanks for everyone's replies. I think I am going to fly home on
Sunday instead of Saturday, unless the fares for later in the day on
Saturday go down a lot.

Michael