TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Stupid Question: Travel to Canada (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=2295)

PTRAVEL January 13th, 2004 04:16 AM

Stupid Question: Travel to Canada

I've got to go to Canada this weekend and, not thinking about this trip, I
sent in my passport for renewal today. In the past, I always used my
passport for travel to Canada, so I never gave much thought to entry and
re-entry requirements. Can I fly to Canada and back with just my drivers
license?

Thanks in advance.

James Robinson January 13th, 2004 04:19 AM

PTRAVEL wrote:

I've got to go to Canada this weekend and, not thinking about this trip, I
sent in my passport for renewal today. In the past, I always used my
passport for travel to Canada, so I never gave much thought to entry and
re-entry requirements. Can I fly to Canada and back with just my drivers
license?

Thanks in advance.

Likely not. The airline will probably not allow you to fly, though you
can call them and see what their rules are. You will likely need some
proof of citizenship. Your birth certificate would be adequate,
assuming you are US born.

S Viemeister January 13th, 2004 04:21 AM

PTRAVEL wrote:

I've got to go to Canada this weekend and, not thinking about this trip, I
sent in my passport for renewal today. In the past, I always used my
passport for travel to Canada, so I never gave much thought to entry and
re-entry requirements. Can I fly to Canada and back with just my drivers
license?

You also need proof of your US citizenship.

Fly Guy January 13th, 2004 04:57 AM

PTRAVEL wrote:

Can I fly to Canada and back with just my drivers license?

For travel to Canada I'm pretty sure you can use your DL but only if
you also have a birth certificate. I have heard gate agents announce
that birth certificates must have a "raised seal", and that might be
key. I have no idea what the significance is of the raised seal.

PTRAVEL January 13th, 2004 06:13 AM

"Fly Guy" wrote in message ...
PTRAVEL wrote:

Can I fly to Canada and back with just my drivers license?

For travel to Canada I'm pretty sure you can use your DL but only if
you also have a birth certificate. I have heard gate agents announce
that birth certificates must have a "raised seal", and that might be
key. I have no idea what the significance is of the raised seal.

It means it's officially issued, as opposed to a photocopy. I just
ransacked the house and found one. The seal is kind of flattened (I got
this one in 1984), but I suspect it will do.

What was I thinking sending in my passport today?