TravelBanter

-   Europe (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   MSP-MCH-SVO (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=84859)

[email protected] March 5th, 2006 08:50 PM

MSP-MCH-SVO

We're traveling from Minneapolis to Munich this summer to meet friends
from Moscow for the World Cup. We're then planning on traveling to
Moscow for a week. I'm looking at two round trip tickets: MSP-MUC-MSP
and MUC-SVO-MUC on two different airlines. My question is, when
returning from Moscow, we'll need to change airline carriers in Munich
(Aerflot to NWA) and I'm assuming I may not be able to check our
luggage all the way to MSP. If this is the case and we have to pick up
our lugage, do we have to clear customs in order to board our next
flight? And if so, how much time should I allow?

Thanks,
SDK

Traveller March 5th, 2006 10:50 PM

MSP-MCH-SVO

wrote in message
oups.com...
We're traveling from Minneapolis to Munich this summer to meet friends
from Moscow for the World Cup. We're then planning on traveling to
Moscow for a week. I'm looking at two round trip tickets: MSP-MUC-MSP
and MUC-SVO-MUC on two different airlines. My question is, when
returning from Moscow, we'll need to change airline carriers in Munich
(Aerflot to NWA) and I'm assuming I may not be able to check our
luggage all the way to MSP. If this is the case and we have to pick up
our lugage, do we have to clear customs in order to board our next
flight? And if so, how much time should I allow?

You probably won't be able to through-check your bags. You WILL have to
clear customs if that's the case. I would allow *at least* 5 hours between
flights - it won't take that long, but if you're delayed on your first leg
from SVO-MUC (it is Aeroflot!) then you could have problems for the second
leg - and as that's a flight to US from Europe, expect stupid, irritating
and sloowwwww checkin arrangements.

pfriedmanNoSpam March 5th, 2006 11:15 PM

MSP-MCH-SVO

wrote in message
oups.com...
We're traveling from Minneapolis to Munich this summer to meet friends
from Moscow for the World Cup. We're then planning on traveling to
Moscow for a week. I'm looking at two round trip tickets: MSP-MUC-MSP
and MUC-SVO-MUC on two different airlines. My question is, when
returning from Moscow, we'll need to change airline carriers in Munich
(Aerflot to NWA) and I'm assuming I may not be able to check our
luggage all the way to MSP. If this is the case and we have to pick up
our lugage, do we have to clear customs in order to board our next
flight? And if so, how much time should I allow?

Thanks,
SDK

Baggage collection and passport/customs are efficient at MUC. That will not
be the problem. The problem is that you will be flying Aeroflot. I wouldn't
trust them enough to fly out the same day!

Joseph Coulter March 5th, 2006 11:27 PM

MSP-MCH-SVO

"pfriedmanNoSpam" wrote in
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
We're traveling from Minneapolis to Munich this summer to meet

Baggage collection and passport/customs are efficient at MUC. That
will not be the problem. The problem is that you will be flying
Aeroflot. I wouldn't trust them enough to fly out the same day!

Which leads me to ask the question that has been bugging me, can you really
save that much to make the hassle of a long connection for safety, as one
said they would overnight?

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

SDK March 6th, 2006 12:06 AM

MSP-MCH-SVO

Not sure I understand your question " ...can you really save that much
to make the hassle of a long connection for safety, as one said they
would overnight?"

pfriedmanNoSpam March 6th, 2006 12:29 AM

MSP-MCH-SVO

"Joseph Coulter" wrote in message
. 97.136...
"pfriedmanNoSpam" wrote in
:

wrote in message
oups.com...
We're traveling from Minneapolis to Munich this summer to meet

Baggage collection and passport/customs are efficient at MUC. That
will not be the problem. The problem is that you will be flying
Aeroflot. I wouldn't trust them enough to fly out the same day!

Which leads me to ask the question that has been bugging me, can you
really
save that much to make the hassle of a long connection for safety, as one
said they would overnight?

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations
http://www.josephcoulter.com/

Er, I think I need a translation of that, Joseph. :)

FWIW, I simply refuse to travel on tight connections. The hassle isn't worth
it too me. If I were connecting at MUC, I'd spend the night, have a beer or
three and relax.

Paul

Király March 6th, 2006 07:53 AM

MSP-MCH-SVO

wrote:
We're traveling from Minneapolis to Munich this summer to meet friends
from Moscow for the World Cup. We're then planning on traveling to
Moscow for a week. I'm looking at two round trip tickets: MSP-MUC-MSP
and MUC-SVO-MUC on two different airlines. My question is, when
returning from Moscow, we'll need to change airline carriers in Munich
(Aerflot to NWA) and I'm assuming I may not be able to check our
luggage all the way to MSP. If this is the case and we have to pick up
our lugage, do we have to clear customs in order to board our next
flight? And if so, how much time should I allow?

Why go to all that hassle and expense, why not just book MSP-MUC,
MUC-SVO, and then SVO-MSP? A travel agent who specializes in
multistop tickets should be able to get you a good deal, very likely
much cheaper than what you are considering now, and without the checked
baggage problems.

K.

Ulf Kutzner March 6th, 2006 12:29 PM

MSP-MCH-SVO

pfriedmanNoSpam schrieb:

We're traveling from Minneapolis to Munich this summer to meet friends
from Moscow for the World Cup. We're then planning on traveling to
Moscow for a week. I'm looking at two round trip tickets: MSP-MUC-MSP
and MUC-SVO-MUC on two different airlines. My question is, when
returning from Moscow, we'll need to change airline carriers in Munich
(Aerflot to NWA) and I'm assuming I may not be able to check our
luggage all the way to MSP. If this is the case and we have to pick up
our lugage, do we have to clear customs in order to board our next
flight? And if so, how much time should I allow?

Baggage collection and passport/customs are efficient at MUC. That will not
be the problem. The problem is that you will be flying Aeroflot. I wouldn't
trust them enough to fly out the same day!

They aren't that bad on Germany connections.

You might also book on Sibir' http://www.s7.ru
http://www.s7.ru/files/S7_summer.pdf or Gexx http://gexx.de
http://www.gexx.de/gexx/flugplan/flugplan.html#DMEMUC

Regards, ULF

Ulf Kutzner March 6th, 2006 12:41 PM

MSP-MCH-SVO

Király schrieb:

[...]

http://wwwa.edreams.it/edreams/italiano/amadeus3/offers/voli_economici2.jhtml?depCity=MIL&arrCity=MOW

might help.

Ulf Kutzner March 6th, 2006 12:44 PM

MSP-MCH-SVO

schrieb:

We're traveling from Minneapolis to Munich this summer to meet friends
from Moscow for the World Cup. We're then planning on traveling to
Moscow for a week. I'm looking at two round trip tickets: MSP-MUC-MSP
and MUC-SVO-MUC on two different airlines. My question is, when
returning from Moscow, we'll need to change airline carriers in Munich
(Aerflot to NWA) and I'm assuming I may not be able to check our
luggage all the way to MSP.

What about MSP - MUC - SVO - MUC - MSP on a single LH rt ticket? Of
course, you should choose a tarff allowing you to stay in MUC for a while.

Regards, ULF