TravelBanter

-   Africa (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   British West Africa (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=110303)

Gnasher April 29th, 2007 10:49 PM

British West Africa

An elderly relative has loaned me a number of photographs of my late
uncle's time in the forces in British West Africa (believed to be
present day Nigeria) in the years immediately after the second world
war. I have recently scanned these into an online album in the hope of
finding out a bit more about them. I would be interested if anyone
could usefully comment on the pictures as they do not mean much more to
me than the labels I have added.

The photo album is at: http://www.johnyeadon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bwa/

Please reply through this newsgroup rather than the invalid email
address provided.

John / UK

Pat Anderson April 30th, 2007 08:05 AM

British West Africa

In message , Gnasher
writes
An elderly relative has loaned me a number of photographs of my late
uncle's time in the forces in British West Africa (believed to be
present day Nigeria) in the years immediately after the second world
war. I have recently scanned these into an online album in the hope of
finding out a bit more about them. I would be interested if anyone
could usefully comment on the pictures as they do not mean much more to
me than the labels I have added.

The photo album is at: http://www.johnyeadon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bwa/

Please reply through this newsgroup rather than the invalid email
address provided.

John / UK

Interesting photos John, I`d say it was Nigeria but we need somebody
who was there at the time to help. I was in Nigeria for five years
during the seventies, with my husband, who was working both in the Niger
Delta and in the North, I`d guess that the horse racing may be in
Kaduna (north) I have been on a bridge over the Niger, this was at
Owerri I think, which is in eastern Nigeria. I can`t give you much more
help, there will be ways of finding out more, if I think of anything I
will let you know.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson

eilish April 30th, 2007 07:45 PM

British West Africa

Very nice pictures. Especially when you realize, this kind of pictures are
not common.
I am married to a Nigerian. Of his childhood he is having 1 picture.
You have any idea where in Nigeria this pictures are made?
"Gnasher" schreef in bericht
.uk...
An elderly relative has loaned me a number of photographs of my late
uncle's time in the forces in British West Africa (believed to be
present day Nigeria) in the years immediately after the second world
war. I have recently scanned these into an online album in the hope of
finding out a bit more about them. I would be interested if anyone
could usefully comment on the pictures as they do not mean much more to
me than the labels I have added.

The photo album is at: http://www.johnyeadon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bwa/

Please reply through this newsgroup rather than the invalid email
address provided.

John / UK

Pat Anderson April 30th, 2007 10:14 PM

British West Africa

In message , Gnasher
writes
An elderly relative has loaned me a number of photographs of my late
uncle's time in the forces in British West Africa (believed to be
present day Nigeria) in the years immediately after the second world
war. I have recently scanned these into an online album in the hope of
finding out a bit more about them. I would be interested if anyone
could usefully comment on the pictures as they do not mean much more to
me than the labels I have added.

The photo album is at: http://www.johnyeadon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bwa/

Please reply through this newsgroup rather than the invalid email
address provided.

John / UK

John,
My husband reminded me the bridge we visited over the Niger was not at
Owerri but Onitsha, we had been to both towns that day.
I`ve had a look in one of my books, "Tales of the Dark Continent" by
Charles Allen and horse racing was done at Kaduna, Zaria and Kano
apparently. I imagine you wish your uncle had done more labelling of
his photos! You may find out more about British West Africa on
google.com
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson

sandy58 May 2nd, 2007 11:35 AM

British West Africa

On Apr 29, 10:49 pm, Gnasher wrote:
An elderly relative has loaned me a number of photographs of my late
uncle's time in the forces in British West Africa (believed to be
present day Nigeria) in the years immediately after the second world
war. I have recently scanned these into an online album in the hope of
finding out a bit more about them. I would be interested if anyone
could usefully comment on the pictures as they do not mean much more to
me than the labels I have added.

The photo album is at:http://www.johnyeadon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bwa/

Please reply through this newsgroup rather than the invalid email
address provided.

John / UK

Interesting pictures, Gnasher. Very clear still. I had a look in my
search engine & (apart from your own post) came up with these two
sites. Thanks for allowing the pics to be seen. I hope you find out
more about the area etc.
Sandy in Scotland
British West Africa:
Cameroons, Gambia, Gold Coast, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and Togoland.
http://emeagwali.com/photos/memories...st-africa.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British...rica)_Division

Pat Anderson May 2nd, 2007 03:01 PM

British West Africa

In message , Gnasher
writes
An elderly relative has loaned me a number of photographs of my late
uncle's time in the forces in British West Africa (believed to be
present day Nigeria) in the years immediately after the second world
war. I have recently scanned these into an online album in the hope of
finding out a bit more about them. I would be interested if anyone
could usefully comment on the pictures as they do not mean much more to
me than the labels I have added.

The photo album is at: http://www.johnyeadon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bwa/

Please reply through this newsgroup rather than the invalid email
address provided.

John / UK

John,
just had a thought, try the British Empire Museum site, there may be
some help or information there.
http://www.empiremuseum.co.uk
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson

Gnasher May 15th, 2007 12:13 AM

British West Africa

Cheers. I've established contact with them and I'm sure we can arrange
something.

ta!

just had a thought, try the British Empire Museum site, there may be
some help or information there.
http://www.empiremuseum.co.uk
Pat.

Pat Anderson May 15th, 2007 07:56 AM

British West Africa

In message , Gnasher
writes

Cheers. I've established contact with them and I'm sure we can arrange
something.

ta!

just had a thought, try the British Empire Museum site, there may be
some help or information there.
http://www.empiremuseum.co.uk
Pat.

I`m glad you got back to me, I did try to find out what I could and had
wondered if you had got anywhere with the photos! Come back if you
get any results.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson