TravelBanter

-   Africa (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Libya: tour groups only? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=70685)

[email protected] July 20th, 2005 12:40 PM

Libya: tour groups only?

In considering my options for seeing the eclipse next March 29, I read
in the Lonely Planet guide to Libya that tourists are admitted to the
country only as members of organized tours. Does anybody have contrary
experience or information?

--
(Charles Packer)
ungoogled: mailboxATSIGNcpacker.org

Zeyd M. Ben-Halim July 22nd, 2005 11:54 PM

On 20 Jul 2005 04:40:31 -0700, wrote:

In considering my options for seeing the eclipse next March 29, I read
in the Lonely Planet guide to Libya that tourists are admitted to the
country only as members of organized tours. Does anybody have contrary
experience or information?

You don't have to arrive as part of a tour group, but you need a local
tour operator to 'sponsor' you. There will plenty of operators willing
to cater for visitors coming for the eclipse.

Zeyd

[email protected] July 29th, 2005 12:37 PM

Zeyd M. Ben-Halim wrote:
On 20 Jul 2005 04:40:31 -0700, wrote:

In considering my options for seeing the eclipse next March 29, I read
in the Lonely Planet guide to Libya that tourists are admitted to the
country only as members of organized tours. Does anybody have contrary
experience or information?

You don't have to arrive as part of a tour group, but you need a local
tour operator to 'sponsor' you. There will plenty of operators willing
to cater for visitors coming for the eclipse.

Joining a tour group would be something new for us. Do you think in
this case it will be something I need to arrange in advance of arrival?

Zeyd M. Ben-Halim August 1st, 2005 11:47 PM

On 29 Jul 2005 04:37:33 -0700, wrote:

Zeyd M. Ben-Halim wrote:
On 20 Jul 2005 04:40:31 -0700,
wrote:

In considering my options for seeing the eclipse next March 29, I read
in the Lonely Planet guide to Libya that tourists are admitted to the
country only as members of organized tours. Does anybody have contrary
experience or information?

You don't have to arrive as part of a tour group, but you need a local
tour operator to 'sponsor' you. There will plenty of operators willing
to cater for visitors coming for the eclipse.

Joining a tour group would be something new for us. Do you think in
this case it will be something I need to arrange in advance of arrival?

There are several groups organizing eclipse tours, which might be a good
idea to join if you're serious about your eclipses. The maximum eclipse
will occur over remote areas of the desert, not somewhere you want or can
go alone. Google for "libya" "eclipse" "tour".

Zeyd

Zeyd M. Ben-Halim August 1st, 2005 11:47 PM

On 29 Jul 2005 04:37:33 -0700, wrote:

Zeyd M. Ben-Halim wrote:
On 20 Jul 2005 04:40:31 -0700,
wrote:

In considering my options for seeing the eclipse next March 29, I read
in the Lonely Planet guide to Libya that tourists are admitted to the
country only as members of organized tours. Does anybody have contrary
experience or information?

You don't have to arrive as part of a tour group, but you need a local
tour operator to 'sponsor' you. There will plenty of operators willing
to cater for visitors coming for the eclipse.

Joining a tour group would be something new for us. Do you think in
this case it will be something I need to arrange in advance of arrival?

Frankly, I would suggest using a local tour operator instead of those
based in the west. They would be more flexible to work with, and cheaper.
Unfortunately, I can't recommend any specific operators, so you'll have
to do some research yourself.
Libya is not setup for the independant traveller, even if you know Arabic
(all the signs are in Arabic only, IF there are any signs).

Zeyd

[email protected] August 3rd, 2005 11:11 AM

Zeyd M. Ben-Halim wrote:
There are several groups organizing eclipse tours, which might be a good
idea to join if you're serious about your eclipses. The maximum eclipse
will occur over remote areas of the desert, not somewhere you want or can
go alone. Google for "libya" "eclipse" "tour".

This turned up serveral tours. Now, how to get to Tripoli? I learned
from a posted newspaper article that British Airways has started flying
there. Any others? Whats the best Web site to search _international_
flights?

Pat Anderson August 3rd, 2005 02:29 PM

In message .com,
writes

Zeyd M. Ben-Halim wrote:
There are several groups organizing eclipse tours, which might be a good
idea to join if you're serious about your eclipses. The maximum eclipse
will occur over remote areas of the desert, not somewhere you want or can
go alone. Google for "libya" "eclipse" "tour".

This turned up serveral tours. Now, how to get to Tripoli? I learned
from a posted newspaper article that British Airways has started flying
there. Any others? Whats the best Web site to search _international_
flights?

If you are flying from Britain go to:
http://www.cheapflights.co.uk
There are several carriers to Tripoli from Heathrow. Before the air
embargo was removed my husband flew to Tunisia and then overland from
Djerba into Libya. He flew Tunisair, Egypt Air, Air Malta and Alitalia
whilst he was travelling out to Libya, it was only in the last year he
was working there that he was able to fly direct to Tripoli from
Gatwick (2000) It`s easier now to get there.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson

Zeyd M. Ben-Halim August 3rd, 2005 10:58 PM

On 3 Aug 2005 03:11:02 -0700, wrote:

Zeyd M. Ben-Halim wrote:
There are several groups organizing eclipse tours, which might be a good
idea to join if you're serious about your eclipses. The maximum eclipse
will occur over remote areas of the desert, not somewhere you want or can
go alone. Google for "libya" "eclipse" "tour".

This turned up serveral tours. Now, how to get to Tripoli? I learned
from a posted newspaper article that British Airways has started flying
there. Any others? Whats the best Web site to search _international_
flights?

There are plenty of flights into Tripoli now. It all depends where you
are coming from. From the USA, going through London would seem to be the
best option. BA flys out of Heathrow every day at 9:15am. Ifriqiya (libyan
airline) flys out of Gatwick 3 times a week.

Zeyd

Pat Anderson August 4th, 2005 09:17 AM

In message , Zeyd M.
Ben-Halim writes

Zeyd M. Ben-Halim wrote:
There are several groups organizing eclipse tours, which might be a good
idea to join if you're serious about your eclipses. The maximum eclipse
will occur over remote areas of the desert, not somewhere you want or can
go alone. Google for "libya" "eclipse" "tour".

This turned up serveral tours. Now, how to get to Tripoli? I learned
from a posted newspaper article that British Airways has started flying
there. Any others? Whats the best Web site to search _international_
flights?

There are plenty of flights into Tripoli now. It all depends where you
are coming from. From the USA, going through London would seem to be the
best option. BA flys out of Heathrow every day at 9:15am. Ifriqiya (libyan
airline) flys out of Gatwick 3 times a week.

Zeyd

Zeyd,
Are you from Libya I wonder, is Libyan Arab still operating out of
Tripoli and Benghazi?
Shukran.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson

Zeyd M. Ben-Halim August 4th, 2005 10:43 PM

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 09:17:47 +0100, Pat Anderson wrote:

Zeyd,
Are you from Libya I wonder, is Libyan Arab still operating out of
Tripoli and Benghazi?
Shukran.
Pat

Yes, I was there 6 six weeks ago. Libyan Arab only does domestic flights
as far I could tell but not from Tripoli International. You have to
transfer to the domestic airport ar Em3aiteeqa (the old Wheelus field) to
go to domestic destinations including Benghazi. There are no international
flights to Benghazi as far as I know.

Zeyd