TravelBanter

-   Australia & New Zealand (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   who knows the correct answer? (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=39638)

Peter Webb August 22nd, 2004 09:17 AM

who knows the correct answer?

"maxi" wrote in message
is it true that if you put water in a sink and pull the plug, the water
turns the oposite way as in the northern hemisphere?

we made a bet and would like to know the correct answer!

thx for the help.

Max

Unless your bath is huge - hundreds of metres wide - and extremely still
with no waves or turbulence at all - it will be random.

maxi August 22nd, 2004 09:26 AM

so there is no difference in the turning direction between the northern and
southern hemisphere?

"Peter Webb" schreef in bericht

"maxi" wrote in message
is it true that if you put water in a sink and pull the plug, the water
turns the oposite way as in the northern hemisphere?

we made a bet and would like to know the correct answer!

thx for the help.

Max

Unless your bath is huge - hundreds of metres wide - and extremely still
with no waves or turbulence at all - it will be random.

Ralph Holz August 22nd, 2004 10:14 AM

Hi,

so there is no difference in the turning direction between the northern and
southern hemisphere?

Yes, there is. It does turn the other way round.

Ralph

Road_Hog August 22nd, 2004 10:26 AM

"maxi" wrote in message
so there is no difference in the turning direction between the northern
and
southern hemisphere?

Yes, but as the reply said all other factors would have to be taken out of
the equation. In reality this doesn't happen.

"Bathwater should drain anticlockwise in the northern hemisphere, clockwise
in the southern and straight down at the equator. This is caused by the
Coriolis force, a result of the earth's eastward rotation, which in the UK
causes water north of the plug to run to the western edge of the hole, while
water on the opposite side of the plug moves to the eastern edge, producing
an anticlockwise vortex. In Australia, the water should move in the opposite
direction.
However, the direction of the vortex is easily disturbed by currents in the
water, the alignment of the plughole, the shape of the bath, or water
temperature, so the phenomenon is difficult to observe."

And a little more detail.

"If you had a perfectly smooth bathtub in a perfectly round shape, and you
filled it full of water, let the water sit for a few days (to let every
last bit of turbulence from the filling of the bathtub die out), and then
let the water drain though a single hole in the middle of the bathtub,
then the water would begin to circulate (counter-clockwise in the northern
hemisphere, and clockwise in the southern hemisphere). This is exactly
what happens with weather systems. A low-pressure system is just like
this ideal bathtub - air is rushing in to the middle of the low pressure
system to try and fill the low pressure area, and water is rushing in
toward the drain to try and fill it.

However, bathtubs and toilets do not have these perfect shapes, and the
direction that the water circulates is determines by the shape of the
bathtub or by any turbulence that may be present from filling the bathtub.
The Coriolis forces are swamped by any minor imperfections.

It is possible to estimate the Coriolis forces in a bathtub. If we have a
bathtub at the North Pole (where Coriolis forces would be greatest, so
assume it is a hot tub so it doesn't freeze), and the bathtub is one meter
in radius, and the water drains from the edge of the bathtub to the drain
at the center in one second, then the deflection of the water will be less
than approximately 0.05 millimeters. This would be measurable, but is
rather tiny, and definitely nowhere near the circulation seen in most
bathtubs. A larger bathtub or a faster draining rate would amplify the
deflection.

In short, any "experiment" purporting to show the Coriolis effect in a
bathtub, toilet, or pan of water is a fraud, although not necessarily
intentional. But a glance at a satellite picture of clouds shows true
Coriolis effects without the need for a hottub at the North Pole!"

HTH

A Mate August 22nd, 2004 10:53 AM

Who Cares!!?

"maxi" wrote in message
is it true that if you put water in a sink and pull the plug, the water
turns the oposite way as in the northern hemisphere?

we made a bet and would like to know the correct answer!

thx for the help.

Max

Ralph Holz August 22nd, 2004 11:11 AM

Who Cares!!?

You're from QLD, right? ;-)

Ralph

Ralph Fox August 22nd, 2004 12:22 PM

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 07:58:27 GMT, in message
, maxi wrote:

is it true that if you put water in a sink and pull the plug, the water
turns the oposite way as in the northern hemisphere?

we made a bet and would like to know the correct answer!

thx for the help.

The water turns clockwise here in the southern hemisphere[*].

Which way does the water turn in the northern hemisphere?
Clockwise or anticlockwise? Is it true that it turns the
opposite way as in the southern hemisphere?

[*] That's what the coriolis force wants it to do.
However, any existing currents in the water [â€*] will
almost always have a greater effect.

[â€*] Any existing currents great enough to cause the water to travel
around in the sink more than once every 24h x cosec(latitude)
will have a greater effect.

When you fill the sink, it will have small currents greater than
this. You'll have to wait a long time for the currents to stop.

When you put your hand in the water to grab the plug,
you'll create currents greater than this (and mess up the test).

--
Cheers,
Ralph

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ns.html#before

maxi August 22nd, 2004 01:32 PM

that is what i call a clear answer!

Thx, I lost my bet :)

"Road_Hog" schreef in bericht

"maxi" wrote in message
[...]

AlmostBob August 22nd, 2004 04:59 PM

Quite simply Yes, and though small the coriolis force is the only force not
acting vertically on the water so the effect is demonstrable visible and
consistent. any answers received to the contrary regarding fraud are simply
the result of ignorance

--

www.poms.co.uk August 24th, 2004 10:08 PM

"maxi" wrote in message
is it true that if you put water in a sink and pull the plug, the water
turns the oposite way as in the northern hemisphere?

we made a bet and would like to know the correct answer!

thx for the help.

Max

Yep thats right

www.poms.co.uk

"maxi" wrote in message
is it true that if you put water in a sink and pull the plug, the water
turns the oposite way as in the northern hemisphere?

we made a bet and would like to know the correct answer!

thx for the help.

Max

Yep thats right

www.poms.co.uk

Daniel Bowen August 25th, 2004 12:07 PM

"www.poms.co.uk" wrote in message
"maxi" wrote in message
is it true that if you put water in a sink and pull the plug, the water
turns the oposite way as in the northern hemisphere?

we made a bet and would like to know the correct answer!

Yep thats right

No it's not.
See the rather more informed replies to this question.
(Same goes for your other answers...)

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
Email: dbowen at custard dot net dot au

"maxi" wrote in message
is it true that if you put water in a sink and pull the plug, the water
turns the oposite way as in the northern hemisphere?

we made a bet and would like to know the correct answer!

Yep thats right

No it's not.
See the rather more informed replies to this question.
(Same goes for your other answers...)

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
Email: dbowen at custard dot net dot au
http://www.danielbowen.com/

AC September 18th, 2004 11:52 PM

No

"maxi" wrote in message
is it true that if you put water in a sink and pull the plug, the water
turns the oposite way as in the northern hemisphere?

we made a bet and would like to know the correct answer!

thx for the help.

Max

AC September 18th, 2004 11:52 PM

No it doesn't

"Ralph Holz" wrote in message
Hi,

so there is no difference in the turning direction between the northern

and
southern hemisphere?

Yes, there is. It does turn the other way round.

Ralph

---

AC September 18th, 2004 11:52 PM

No it doesn't

"Ralph Holz" wrote in message
Hi,

so there is no difference in the turning direction between the northern

and
southern hemisphere?

Yes, there is. It does turn the other way round.

Ralph

---

AC September 18th, 2004 11:54 PM

There's no such thing as "the Coriolis force". It's the Coriolis effect, and
is only responsible for weather systems, and large scale fluid mechanics.
Not bath tubs.

"Road_Hog" wrote in message

"maxi" wrote in message
[...]

AC September 18th, 2004 11:56 PM

Ignorance? It's bad enough when people tout things without scientific
evidence. When you mis-use scientific principles, it's much worse.

I'm ignorant of Bach flower remedies as well, and glad about it!

"maxi" wrote in message
| is it true that if you put water in a sink and pull the plug, the water
| turns the oposite way as in the northern hemisphere?
|
| we made a bet and would like to know the correct answer!
|
| thx for the help.
|
| Max

---

"maxi" wrote in message
| is it true that if you put water in a sink and pull the plug, the water
| turns the oposite way as in the northern hemisphere?
|
| we made a bet and would like to know the correct answer!
|
| thx for the help.
|
| Max

---

AC September 19th, 2004 12:01 AM

There is no non-vertical force at play in most bathrooms apart from your
imagination, and maybe a kid in the tub, since the windows are closed.

Are you arguing that an atmospheric effect has x-ray powers, or what?

The only bad physics is WRONG physics!~)

"maxi" wrote in message
| is it true that if you put water in a sink and pull the plug, the water
| turns the oposite way as in the northern hemisphere?
|
| we made a bet and would like to know the correct answer!
|
| thx for the help.
|
| Max

AlmostBob September 19th, 2004 12:17 AM

AC, You made so many wrong posts, the water does turn the other way,
clockwise in southern hemisphere, ant clockwise in Northern, for the same
reasons as Hurricanes Cyclones tropical storms do. Of course the fource
involved in the sink is miniscule, so is the amount of water and the scale of
the sink compared to a 100 mile wide storm, you obviously have never lived in
the southern hemisphere nor watched weather reports.

--
Ever wonder why Evian water is $3 for a half litre
Try spelling evian backwards

Computer chips are very small, Computers don't eat much.
_ _

"AC" wrote in message
| There is no non-vertical force at play in most bathrooms apart from your
| imagination, and maybe a kid in the tub, since the windows are closed.
|
| Are you arguing that an atmospheric effect has x-ray powers, or what?
|
| The only bad physics is WRONG physics!~)
|

| "AlmostBob" wrote in message
| Quite simply Yes, and though small the coriolis force is the only force
| not
| acting vertically on the water so the effect is demonstrable visible and
| consistent. any answers received to the contrary regarding fraud are
| simply
| the result of ignorance
|
| --
|
| "maxi" wrote in message
| | is it true that if you put water in a sink and pull the plug, the
water
| | turns the oposite way as in the northern hemisphere?
| |
| | we made a bet and would like to know the correct answer!
| |
| | thx for the help.
| |
| | Max
| |
| |

| There is no non-vertical force at play in most bathrooms apart from your
| imagination, and maybe a kid in the tub, since the windows are closed.
|
| Are you arguing that an atmospheric effect has x-ray powers, or what?
|
| The only bad physics is WRONG physics!~)
|

| "AlmostBob" wrote in message
| Quite simply Yes, and though small the coriolis force is the only force
| not
| acting vertically on the water so the effect is demonstrable visible and
| consistent. any answers received to the contrary regarding fraud are
| simply
| the result of ignorance
|
| --
|
| "maxi" wrote in message
| | is it true that if you put water in a sink and pull the plug, the
water
| | turns the oposite way as in the northern hemisphere?
| |
| | we made a bet and would like to know the correct answer!
| |
| | thx for the help.
| |
| | Max
| |
| |

"AC" wrote in message
| There is no non-vertical force at play in most bathrooms apart from your
| imagination, and maybe a kid in the tub, since the windows are closed.
|
| Are you arguing that an atmospheric effect has x-ray powers, or what?
|
| The only bad physics is WRONG physics!~)
|

| "AlmostBob" wrote in message
| Quite simply Yes, and though small the coriolis force is the only force
| not
| acting vertically on the water so the effect is demonstrable visible and
| consistent. any answers received to the contrary regarding fraud are
| simply
| the result of ignorance
|
| --
|
| "maxi" wrote in message
| | is it true that if you put water in a sink and pull the plug, the
water
| | turns the oposite way as in the northern hemisphere?
| |
| | we made a bet and would like to know the correct answer!
| |
| | thx for the help.
| |
| | Max
| |
| |

| There is no non-vertical force at play in most bathrooms apart from your
| imagination, and maybe a kid in the tub, since the windows are closed.
|
| Are you arguing that an atmospheric effect has x-ray powers, or what?
|
| The only bad physics is WRONG physics!~)
|

| "AlmostBob" wrote in message
| Quite simply Yes, and though small the coriolis force is the only force
| not
| acting vertically on the water so the effect is demonstrable visible and
| consistent. any answers received to the contrary regarding fraud are
| simply
| the result of ignorance
|
| --
|
| "maxi" wrote in message
| | is it true that if you put water in a sink and pull the plug, the
water
| | turns the oposite way as in the northern hemisphere?
| |
| | we made a bet and would like to know the correct answer!
| |
| | thx for the help.
| |
| | Max
| |
| |

"AC" wrote in message
| There is no non-vertical force at play in most bathrooms apart from your
| imagination, and maybe a kid in the tub, since the windows are closed.
|
| Are you arguing that an atmospheric effect has x-ray powers, or what?
|
| The only bad physics is WRONG physics!~)
|

| "AlmostBob" wrote in message
| Quite simply Yes, and though small the coriolis force is the only force
| not
| acting vertically on the water so the effect is demonstrable visible and
| consistent. any answers received to the contrary regarding fraud are
| simply
| the result of ignorance
|
| --
|
| "maxi" wrote in message
| | is it true that if you put water in a sink and pull the plug, the
water
| | turns the oposite way as in the northern hemisphere?
| |
| | we made a bet and would like to know the correct answer!
| |
| | thx for the help.
| |
| | Max
| |
| |

| There is no non-vertical force at play in most bathrooms apart from your
| imagination, and maybe a kid in the tub, since the windows are closed.
|
| Are you arguing that an atmospheric effect has x-ray powers, or what?
|
| The only bad physics is WRONG physics!~)
|

| "AlmostBob" wrote in message
| Quite simply Yes, and though small the coriolis force is the only force
| not
| acting vertically on the water so the effect is demonstrable visible and
| consistent. any answers received to the contrary regarding fraud are
| simply
| the result of ignorance
|
| --
|
| "maxi" wrote in message
| | is it true that if you put water in a sink and pull the plug, the
water
| | turns the oposite way as in the northern hemisphere?
| |
| | we made a bet and would like to know the correct answer!
| |
| | thx for the help.
| |
| | Max
| |
| |

Raffi Balmanoukian September 19th, 2004 01:02 AM

in article , AlmostBob at
wrote on 9/18/04 8:17 PM:

AC, You made so many wrong posts, the water does turn the other way,
clockwise in southern hemisphere, ant clockwise in Northern, for the same
reasons as Hurricanes Cyclones tropical storms do. Of course the fource
involved in the sink is miniscule, so is the amount of water and the scale of
the sink compared to a 100 mile wide storm, you obviously have never lived in
the southern hemisphere nor watched weather reports.

Question: When you swirl Australian wine, which way do you twirl the
glass?

wrote on 9/18/04 8:17 PM:

AC, You made so many wrong posts, the water does turn the other way,
clockwise in southern hemisphere, ant clockwise in Northern, for the same
reasons as Hurricanes Cyclones tropical storms do. Of course the fource
involved in the sink is miniscule, so is the amount of water and the scale of
the sink compared to a 100 mile wide storm, you obviously have never lived in
the southern hemisphere nor watched weather reports.

Question: When you swirl Australian wine, which way do you twirl the
glass?

Jim September 19th, 2004 01:46 AM

"Raffi Balmanoukian" a
wrote in message
news:BD725345.26F03%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca...
| in article , AlmostBob at
| wrote on 9/18/04 8:17 PM:
|
| AC, You made so many wrong posts, the water does turn the other way,
| clockwise in southern hemisphere, ant clockwise in Northern, for the
same
| reasons as Hurricanes Cyclones tropical storms do. Of course the fource
| involved in the sink is miniscule, so is the amount of water and the
scale of
| the sink compared to a 100 mile wide storm, you obviously have never
lived in
| the southern hemisphere nor watched weather reports.
|

| Question: When you swirl Australian wine, which way do you twirl the
| glass?

Down your throat either way!

Jim

wrote in message
news:BD725345.26F03%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca...
| in article , AlmostBob at
| wrote on 9/18/04 8:17 PM:
|
| AC, You made so many wrong posts, the water does turn the other way,
| clockwise in southern hemisphere, ant clockwise in Northern, for the
same
| reasons as Hurricanes Cyclones tropical storms do. Of course the fource
| involved in the sink is miniscule, so is the amount of water and the
scale of
| the sink compared to a 100 mile wide storm, you obviously have never
lived in
| the southern hemisphere nor watched weather reports.
|

| Question: When you swirl Australian wine, which way do you twirl the
| glass?

Down your throat either way!

Jim

Alan September 19th, 2004 01:57 AM

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:02:43 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

in article , AlmostBob at
wrote on 9/18/04 8:17 PM:

AC, You made so many wrong posts, the water does turn the other way,
clockwise in southern hemisphere, ant clockwise in Northern, for the same
reasons as Hurricanes Cyclones tropical storms do. Of course the fource
involved in the sink is miniscule, so is the amount of water and the scale of
the sink compared to a 100 mile wide storm, you obviously have never lived in
the southern hemisphere nor watched weather reports.

Question: When you swirl Australian wine, which way do you twirl the
glass?

Towards my mouth.

Cheers, Alan
--

Alan September 19th, 2004 01:57 AM

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:02:43 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

in article , AlmostBob at
wrote on 9/18/04 8:17 PM:

AC, You made so many wrong posts, the water does turn the other way,
clockwise in southern hemisphere, ant clockwise in Northern, for the same
reasons as Hurricanes Cyclones tropical storms do. Of course the fource
involved in the sink is miniscule, so is the amount of water and the scale of
the sink compared to a 100 mile wide storm, you obviously have never lived in
the southern hemisphere nor watched weather reports.

Question: When you swirl Australian wine, which way do you twirl the
glass?

Towards my mouth.

Cheers, Alan
--

Alan September 19th, 2004 01:57 AM

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:02:43 GMT, Raffi Balmanoukian
a wrote:

in article , AlmostBob at
wrote on 9/18/04 8:17 PM:

AC, You made so many wrong posts, the water does turn the other way,
clockwise in southern hemisphere, ant clockwise in Northern, for the same
reasons as Hurricanes Cyclones tropical storms do. Of course the fource
involved in the sink is miniscule, so is the amount of water and the scale of
the sink compared to a 100 mile wide storm, you obviously have never lived in
the southern hemisphere nor watched weather reports.

Question: When you swirl Australian wine, which way do you twirl the
glass?

Towards my mouth.

Cheers, Alan
--

JohnM September 21st, 2004 12:04 AM

In article , AlmostBob anonymous
writes
AC, You made so many wrong posts, the water does turn the other way,
clockwise in southern hemisphere, ant clockwise in Northern, for the same
reasons as Hurricanes Cyclones tropical storms do. Of course the fource
involved in the sink is miniscule, so is the amount of water and the scale of
the sink compared to a 100 mile wide storm, you obviously have never lived in
the southern hemisphere nor watched weather reports.

From the Urban Legends website

http://www.snopes.com/science/coriolis.htm

Claim: Thanks to the Coriolis effect, toilets flush clockwise in the
northern hemisphere and counterclockwise in the southern.

Origins:

Because the Earth is a globe spinning on an invisible axis, a point at
its equator will make a circuit of 25,000 miles in the space of a day,
but any point not on the equator will make a shorter round trip; the
closer that point is to either of the poles, the shorter its trip will
be. Put another way, a pencil at the equator travels 1,030 miles an
hour, whereas another at Sarasota, Florida, moves at 930 miles per hour,
and one at the North pole doesn't move at all.

This apparent difference in speed results in the Coriolis force, an
effect that imparts a twist to largish events happening away from the
equator. Best known is its effect on air masses: as they move away from
the equator, their speed (which matches that of where they started from)
appears to be faster than that of the surface over which they are
traveling. This sets them turning in a clockwise twist in the northern
hemisphere and a counterclockwise twist in the southern. Likewise, a
cannonball fired due north will veer a teeny bit to the east, and one
fired to the south will deflect ever so slightly to the west, something
a skilled gunner would make an adjustment for.

The twisting effect of the Coriolis force is real and does influence
certain large things like the movement of air masses, but the effect is
so small that it plays no role in determining the direction in which
water rotates as it exits from a draining sink or toilet. The Coriolis
effect produces a measurable effect over huge distances and long periods
of time, neither of which applies to your bathroom. Toilets and sinks
drain in the directions they do because of the way water is directed
into them or pulled from them. If water enters in a swirling motion (as
it does when a toilet is flushed, for example), the water will exit in
that same swirling pattern; as well, most basins have irregular surfaces
and are not perfectly level, factors which influence the direction in
which water spirals down their drains. The configuration of taps and
drains is responsible for the direction of spin given to water draining
from sinks and bathtubs to a degree that overwhelms the slight influence
of the Coriolis force.

The belief that the Coriolis force influences the direction in which
water drains from plumbing fixtures is widespread and has been repeated
as fact in a number of venues, including popular television shows (such
as world traveler Michael Palin's Pole to Pole) and even in textbooks.
We can only speculate on why people are so enamored of this snippet of
misinformation, guessing that it has something to do with the desire to
find some of the mysteries of science in the realm of the everyday.

--
JohnM
Author of Brazil: Life, Blood, Soul

JohnM September 21st, 2004 12:04 AM

In article , AlmostBob anonymous
writes
AC, You made so many wrong posts, the water does turn the other way,
clockwise in southern hemisphere, ant clockwise in Northern, for the same
reasons as Hurricanes Cyclones tropical storms do. Of course the fource
involved in the sink is miniscule, so is the amount of water and the scale of
the sink compared to a 100 mile wide storm, you obviously have never lived in
the southern hemisphere nor watched weather reports.

From the Urban Legends website

[...]

From the Urban Legends website

[...]

AlmostBob September 21st, 2004 01:21 AM

Idiot,
I am Australian, you know Down Under, Southern Hemisphere,
now resident in Canada, Northern Hemisphere.
I have actual experience, I do not base my thought on something I have only
read, written by someone else who has no idea what they are speaking about.
Suggest you travel a bit, get some experience, some knowlege, and in general
come back when you get a clue

AlmostBob September 21st, 2004 01:21 AM

Idiot,
I am Australian, you know Down Under, Southern Hemisphere,
now resident in Canada, Northern Hemisphere.
I have actual experience, I do not base my thought on something I have only
read, written by someone else who has no idea what they are speaking about.
Suggest you travel a bit, get some experience, some knowlege, and in general
come back when you get a clue

maxi September 22nd, 2004 04:47 AM

after all: is it true or not true?

"AlmostBob" schreef in bericht