TravelBanter

-   Air travel (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Profiling for security (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=97547)

:\ September 17th, 2006 08:23 PM

Profiling for security

Why is it that when the FBI profiles serial murderers and rapists nobody
seems to care, but when we do the same in the airports for security ....
everyone is up in arms?

Shawn Hirn September 18th, 2006 12:39 AM

Profiling for security

In article ,
(:\) Happy) wrote:

Why is it that when the FBI profiles serial murderers and rapists nobody
seems to care, but when we do the same in the airports for security ....
everyone is up in arms?

The premise of your statement is wrong. No one cares if the FBI profiles
serial murderers and rapists at airports.

ant[_7_] September 18th, 2006 12:12 PM

Profiling for security

:) Happy wrote:
Why is it that when the FBI profiles serial murderers and rapists
nobody seems to care, but when we do the same in the airports for
security .... everyone is up in arms?

Because targeting terrorists is discriminatory.

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

[email protected][_1_] September 18th, 2006 01:33 PM

Profiling for security

:) Happy wrote:
Why is it that when the FBI profiles serial murderers and rapists nobody
seems to care, but when we do the same in the airports for security ....
everyone is up in arms?

Whatever are you talking about? The FBI profiles specific cases.
No one cares if the profile specific incidents of terrorism. And no
one
cares if the work up "typical" profiles in advance. The problem comes
when they choose to act on those profiles. We would care if
based upon their profiles of murderers, all folks with pets that
died were subject to extra scrutiny at basketball games.

:\ September 19th, 2006 03:53 AM

Profiling for security (Oconnell)

I've had pets die, and have never had problems getting into basketball
games. Makes me wonder how your pets died........ You have something you
want to get off your chest?

[email protected][_1_] September 19th, 2006 12:43 PM

:) Happy wrote:
I've had pets die, and have never had problems getting into basketball
games. Makes me wonder how your pets died........ You have something you
want to get off your chest?

I would, but since your reading comprehension is obviously flawed,
not to mention a total lack of any useful posting skills, it would
almost
assuredly be a wasted exercise. God knows I don't need the practice.
Here's a thought for you to munch on. Jeffery Dahlmer had a poor
relationship with pets. Basketball games have been experiencing
elevated
levels of security as of late. The subject was profiling based upon
unrelated behaviors. Now think..........

Gary L. Dare September 27th, 2006 04:21 PM

Profiling for security

Most demands for profiling are based on race and religion
a la Archie Bunker rather than behaviorial a la Israel's
Shin Bet (and El Al staff affiliated or trained by them),
the FBI, etc. There have been too many exceptions that
don't fit the 18-40, Middle-Eastern male stereotype
(John Walker Lindh, Jose Padilla, Muriel Degaugue -
Belgian car-bomber in Iraq, African-Americans in
the Portland Seven and Miami Seven (Sears Tower
bombing plot), Chechen 'black widows', Oliver
Martin of the UK liquid bombing conspiracy).

All you need is one of them to get through while
Congressman Rahm Emanuel, a Chicago Sephardic Jew
who would 'look the part', is held by the TSA for
further screening ...

gld