TravelBanter

-   Australia & New Zealand (http://www.travelbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   British traveller's death in NZ (http://www.travelbanter.com/showthread.php?t=104454)

[email protected] January 23rd, 2007 10:47 AM

British traveller's death in NZ

The parents of a British traveller who died while trekking in Nelson
Lakes National Park say safety regulations in NZ need to be improved.

Read the full story he
http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle.asp...7&SectionID=73

What do other people think?

David Bennetts January 23rd, 2007 09:41 PM

British traveller's death in NZ

wrote in message
oups.com...
The parents of a British traveller who died while trekking in Nelson
Lakes National Park say safety regulations in NZ need to be improved.

Read the full story he
http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle.asp...7&SectionID=73

What do other people think?

How do you prevent people from walking alone? It can be quite dangerous in
remote areas in Australia and New Zealand - it isn't like Britain where
there is almost invariably a house around the corner. Regulations don't
prevent people getting into trouble in cases like this.

David Bennetts
Australia

Landlord January 23rd, 2007 10:28 PM

British traveller's death in NZ

"David Bennetts" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
The parents of a British traveller who died while trekking in Nelson
Lakes National Park say safety regulations in NZ need to be improved.

Read the full story he
http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle.asp...7&SectionID=73

What do other people think?

How do you prevent people from walking alone? It can be quite dangerous
in remote areas in Australia and New Zealand - it isn't like Britain where
there is almost invariably a house around the corner. Regulations don't
prevent people getting into trouble in cases like this.

David Bennetts
Australia

I beg to differ. There are many places in Britain where one can get lost.
Remote areas such as Dartmoor, Bodmin Moor, The Dales, Yorkshire Moors,
Scottish Highlands.To mention a few.
These days one should be made to carry EPERBS and the like.
LL
Australia

waitawa farm January 23rd, 2007 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by
The parents of a British traveller who died while trekking in Nelson
Lakes National Park say safety regulations in NZ need to be improved.

Read the full story he
http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle.asp...7&SectionID=73

What do other people think?

Hi, whilst I am very sorry to hear that this young woman has died, I feel it is the walkers responsibility not to take risks- she was tramping in torrential rain, and it sounds like the creek crossing should not have been attampted, particularly without a travel companion.
I am sure trampers who enjoy tramping alone would not like to see rules introduced whereby you must have a travel buddy with you, although for safety's sake I think you should always travel in three's- I know we used to when we did our seven day trips.

A Mate January 24th, 2007 12:10 AM

British traveller's death in NZ

Further 'nannying' is not the answer.

People must learn again the lost art of taking responsibility for
themselves.

wrote in message
oups.com...
The parents of a British traveller who died while trekking in Nelson
Lakes National Park say safety regulations in NZ need to be improved.

Read the full story he
http://www.lep.co.uk/ViewArticle.asp...7&SectionID=73

What do other people think?

AlmostBob January 26th, 2007 05:12 PM